What's your ethnic make up?

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
i want to make sure i read that right.

oh and herb- your ethnic make up is 'sloppy white guy'.

That's pretty accurate. I honestly don't know if the Native American bit is true or not, but my uncle was able to become part of a local tribe around here, just not sure which one.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I'm half White (Irish/English) and half Chinese. Not a fan of either White or Chinese people. Wish there were more Black and Mexican people in Canada.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My mom's a brit, my dad's american.

I was raised in the USA, so I'm American.

This is what gets me about Americans to this day...how fucking long does this country have to exist before American's say they're American? How many generations? If you have to look back 200 years to figure out where you're "from" here's a hint: You're American.

I'm American...that's my lineage. Not Irish, not British, not African, not Spanish, American. My father, my grandfather (who was born in 1898, BTW), myself...we were all born here, that's enough for me to call myself "American".

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
This is what gets me about Americans to this day...how fucking long does this country have to exist before American's say they're American? How many generations? If you have to look back 200 years to figure out where you're "from" here's a hint: You're American.

I'm American...that's my lineage. Not Irish, not British, not African, not Spanish, American. My father, my grandfather (who was born in 1898, BTW), myself...we were all born here, that's enough for me to call myself "American".

"American" is not an ethnicity, its a nationality.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
"American" is not an ethnicity, its a nationality.

I disagree...read this:

"Ethnicity can be defined as a group of people who regard themselves to be different from others. The ethnic groups are united by common traditional, cultural, linguistic, ritualistic, behavioral and religious traits. On the other hand, nationality does not pertain to these characteristics, as one can come across people that have different cultural, traditional, ritualistic and religious traits living in the same country."

Anymore, "American" is easily as ethnic as any other. American culture is vast and completely unique from other countries. I feel "american" can be either a ethnic, or nationality description.

people will accept "German", "Irish", "Russian", "African" or "Spanish" as an ethnic description...why not American?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
"Ethnicity can be defined as a group of people who regard themselves to be different from others. The ethnic groups are united by common traditional, cultural, linguistic, ritualistic, behavioral and religious traits. On the other hand, nationality does not pertain to these characteristics, as one can come across people that have different cultural, traditional, ritualistic and religious traits living in the same country."

By that logic, wouldn't "mentally retarded" be considered an ethnicity?

At this point in human history, nothing is purely "American". Unless you live in a place thats so isolated from the rest of the world and anything that could influence your specific culture, there is nothing that is "Purely-_____". Everything is so diluted, that to say your ethnicity is strictly "American" means that you truly believe that your entire lineage has had no contact whatsoever with ANYTHING outside of its own culture/race.

My father was a mix of irish and scottish - my GF on that side was off the boat Irish, while my grandmother was half scottish on her mother's side. My mother was born of an off the boat german mother, while my grandfather was 3rd generation american-born (if the way i explained didnt make sense: my 'Pa was born in the US, as was his parents and their parents).

YOU HAVE TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE! AMERICA DOESNT COUNT! ITS A FUCKING NATIONALITY!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
By that logic, wouldn't "mentally retarded" be considered an ethnicity?

At this point in human history, nothing is purely "American". Unless you live in a place thats so isolated from the rest of the world and anything that could influence your specific culture, there is nothing that is "Purely-_____". Everything is so diluted, that to say your ethnicity is strictly "American" means that you truly believe that your entire lineage has had no contact whatsoever with ANYTHING outside of its own culture/race.

My father was a mix of irish and scottish - my GF on that side was off the boat Irish, while my grandmother was half scottish on her mother's side. My mother was born of an off the boat german mother, while my grandfather was 3rd generation american-born (if the way i explained didnt make sense: my 'Pa was born in the US, as was his parents and their parents).

YOU HAVE TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE! AMERICA DOESNT COUNT! ITS A FUCKING NATIONALITY!

At this point in human history, nothing is purely anything if you look at it that way. Everyone came from somewhere...how far back will you go? To the times before there was even "Europe" or Scotland, or "Africa"...looking at it your way, how is anyone solely from anywhere?

This is how I see it, let just say my ancestors came from Ireland (which some did, some came form Scotland) and let's say they did this back in the early 1800s. So early 1800 Irish/Scottish culture, which has little to do with their culture today outside of traditions.

Ok...add in over 200 years of breeding and social conditioning. You get me.

If I were to go to Ireland, or Scotland...or any other land, I would be called an "american". Not because of where I was born, but because of how I act, carry myself, the way I speak, my beliefs, etc. My culture has zip to do with them...my ethnicity has zip to do with them. How else would I describe myself? I'm American to the core...it may be a mix of a bunch of shit thrown in the pot...but what culture isn't?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I disagree...read this:

Anymore, "American" is easily as ethnic as any other. American culture is vast and completely unique from other countries. I feel "american" can be either a ethnic, or nationality description.

people will accept "German", "Irish", "Russian", "African" or "Spanish" as an ethnic description...why not American?

I think the difference is that people in America are usually aware of a change in location at some point in the past - because the past isn't that long ago. Families in a lot of other countries have been in that country for so long there are no records of anything being different.

As far as I know my family are English as far back as anyone has ever looked, it's a bit dull, if I could say with some confidence I was 1.8% Albanian or something it would be something I'd be happy to learn about. If anything it might give me a reason to go and piss about in a new country for a holiday or something.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I think the difference is that people in America are usually aware of a change in location at some point in the past - because the past isn't that long ago. Families in a lot of other countries have been in that country for so long there are no records of anything being different.

As far as I know my family are English as far back as anyone has ever looked, it's a bit dull, if I could say with some confidence I was 1.8% Albanian or something it would be something I'd be happy to learn about. If anything it might give me a reason to go and piss about in a new country for a holiday or something.

I can see that.

There are plenty of Americans that still hold true to their roots...but then there's the other ones (like me). You have American Western culture, or the various southern cultures...all are completely unique. Or...you have mutts like me who's family didn't even speak of heritage. Again...I am almost completely English/Irish...but you'd never know it, my upbringing had zero to do with it. This is why I'd call my heritage "american"...give or take...my likes/dislikes/beliefs/etc...all pretty much American.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm half White (Irish/English) and half Chinese. Not a fan of either White or Chinese people. Wish there were more Black and Mexican people in Canada.

Well, you don't hear that every day.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
100% Criollo but in my heart I'm Chibcha...Aborigine 4LF!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I fucking love how every white person* says they have a little Native American in them, are 1/16th Native America, etc etc.

Even my retarded as hell parents told me that bullshit.

*in 'murika

I read this was due to a native american housing thing, and whites took advantage of it claiming the ancestry. A lot of it is actually lies. Some of it is real though, Johnny Depp, Val Kilmer are examples of this. There is even a legend in my family on one side claiming that we're direct descendants of pocahontas. I mean c'mon... It stems from the cooley/packwood side I belong to.

Anyways, I am English, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Irish, and through my dad's side a buttload of norse etc shit.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
irony? *cuz you know, juggalos are bad at stuff.
not sure if you did it on purpose?

I always figured you were a Juggalo... y'know by your post style and all.

DOWN WIT DA CLOWN, YO?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
no I'm too old for that.
I was a burnout? until about 30 though.