What's with the KOF games' graphics compared to other SNK fighters?

potator

n00b
I've been playing many SNK fighters over the past years, and noticed that the KOF games' graphics aren't as good as some of their other fighters, while still being SNK's flagship. For example, the Fatal Fury series, even with real bout, had really impressive colors and graphics at the time, while the KOF series still had its same old look. While this isn't a bad thing at all, it just makes me wonder if SNK pays more attention to games like Fatal Fury, when their KOF series are much more popular. Now I know that the KOF series gets updated annually, so expecting a complete new game every year is out of the question. But with games like Mark Of The Wolves and its amazing graphics, how come the KOF series doesn't follow them? Would it be too much work? I'd figure if they were to make the KOF series look similar to Mark Of The Wolves, they'd have to redraw everything they have, but they'd be able to use them for a good while after that; the same way they used a lot of their current sprites and drawings for a while now. Now I'm sure SNK/Eolith/Playmore has good reasons, but it just throws me off somewhat to think they're working harder on other games and not their most popular flagship. What are your opinions?

david

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Because with that many cast of characters, the graphic and animation takes the hit.

laurie

Zero's Tailor
I think that Kof's game mechanics take president over graphics etc, not because they dont care but because thats what KOF is all about; the game play. It would be nice to have some more frames of animation but as David said there would be to many teams cut and people would be sad :(
I would be sad frown

Body rip

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I think they made an improvement somewhat last year giving Kim, Vice, and Shermie enhanced appearances graphically (as opposed to their previous counterparts).

Hopefully as more future installments of the series are brought about, we'll continue to bear witness to the slow visual upgrading. I don't think we'll see a dramatic change from one edition to the following, but more like a slow ladder climb from year to year.

potator

n00b
Ah, I seem to understand a bit more now. Thank you for your replies. I'm just wondering how awesome it would be to play KOF 2002 with graphics as good as MOTW's.

Sickliquid86

Galford's Armourer
they really need a graphical overhaul in KOF 2003 they should take xome kof sprites from CVS2 and MOTW.For Terry they should also put rock in the new one.

<small>[ April 01, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Sickliquid86 ]</small>

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
I really like the current KOF graphics. Ryo looks better in 2K2, Robert, Takuma, Yuri, K' and Kyo look fine. I think Iori needs a new costume and I'd like to see Terry w/ his MOTW clothes. Everything else seems fine to me.