What's with people slicing up the AES console shells to install unneeded jacks?

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
So I'm having to start over in retrogaming, and have been looking at AES systems on eBay (as well as MVS, but this concern is just with AES). Quite surprised how many are pointlessly sliced up to install component jacks/composite jacks/etc. What is wrong with the RGB from the stock DIN? And if you need component, use HDRV or a Retrotink RGB2COMP. It kind of depresses me.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Shiny and gaudy gets more sales from the idiots on ebay. There was a time and place for that, in the early 00s when RGB in the US was super uncommon and the svideo mod was amazing.

The flip side of this is to use the RGB from the DIN, but insist on an RGB bypass whether that particular revision of motherboard actually needs it or not.

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
I did see some RGB bypassed units in my browsing as well. Between the unnecessary mods, the questionable history of what people have done to the boards, and the purposefully shady and blurred photos, I'm leaning more and more toward one of the Aliexpress MVS units.

Reactions: Syn

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
So I'm having to start over in retrogaming, and have been looking at AES systems on eBay (as well as MVS, but this concern is just with AES). Quite surprised how many are pointlessly sliced up to install component jacks/composite jacks/etc. What is wrong with the RGB from the stock DIN? And if you need component, use HDRV or a Retrotink RGB2COMP. It kind of depresses me.

I used to mod AES systems and sell them on eBay about 15-20 years ago. There are a few reasons for this. First, US TVs typically did not accept RGB at the time, and finding something like an RGB2 was very difficult and most people in the market for an AES didn't even know it existed.

Second, the AES A/V cable only has mono audio, so having stereo RCA jacks was a great way to hook it up to an audio system. Sure you could use the headphone jack but then you're going through a couple adaptors and it's a pain. Again - the regular Joe wouldn't know how to do that.

Third, I would put a light in the reset button as a power indicator, something that was missing from the AES and seemed like an oversight.

Fourth, depending on the serial number, most systems benefitted greatly from an RGB bypass mod to bypass the CXA amp and take the RGB signal straight off the DAC. While that enhanced the video quality significantly, it also disabled the composite video out on the stock DIN, hence the need to replace this with a video encoder board and alternate video outs on the back of the shell. Again, US TVs at the time couldn't do anything with the RGB so this was the only way to do it if you wanted a good picture.

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
A short and unpleasant story

Yeah honestly just get a mister
Have looked into it, and it might be a smart option. I don't see myself buying up games, although it seems like it might be nice to have original hardware in the way of systems still. A CMVS and 161 didn't seem too expensive, and maybe the Darksoft or NeoSD MVS will come around again one day.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Sure you could use the headphone jack but then you're going through a couple adaptors and it's a pain. Again - the regular Joe wouldn't know how to do that.
I refuse to believe most gamers were this dumb. It was the same situation as the Genesis model 1. It wasn't an adapter; only a 3.5mm to RCA cable was needed. I still happily use this cable with my consoles.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I refuse to believe most gamers were this dumb. It was the same situation as the Genesis model 1. It wasn't an adapter; only a 3.5mm to RCA cable was needed. I still happily use this cable with my consoles.
Nah man. People on the neo forums realize this but you're asking for a regular Joe to realize that the headphone jack they never noticed and never used outputs stereo, and then to realize they can use the headphone jack to hook it up to their TV. They need to realize that they need to max the volume for the output and test the volume on their TV. They need to get a mini stereo phone jack to stereo RCA cable, or adapt one. That's a way high bar for most people.

Out of these the biggest hurdle is realizing that there is a headphone jack and that it outputs stereo while the DIN does not. This is just not obvious.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I would say a mister is a better purchase than a cmvs and 161 bootleg by far. No competition for the same value almost. More games, better features, better support for modern TVs, other systems, the list goes on.

Why would anyone consolize an arcade board anyway

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I see the Mister brigade is out in force once again. It's a good thing too -- Otherwise how else would I know to stop shopping for a console (which is what the question was about) and buy a Mister?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
We're just trying to drive common sense into people and save them money. I mean you could enjoy your booty 161 with crackly audio instead I suppose.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Gamers invest in FPGA solutions assuming they accurately replicate original hardware, but the cores are only as good as they were programmed. There is definitely a contingent that wants to make sure you know that and will assert that FPGA is emulation.

According to Terra Onion's Discord their next release will be some NeoSD Pros. If I had to scale back my Neo Geo setup tomorrow I would go with an AES and NeoSD. If I really had to ditch all my consoles and go barebones, I guess I would go with my Mister. I currently use it once in a blue moon for arcade boards and portables, but not really for consoles.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
IDK, my aliexpress special consolized MVS works great with my legit carts and the 161, plus it has the added bonus of making signofzeta mad. What's not to like
I was going to throw out the 161 in 1 that came with my cab, but the sound seems perfect without modding, and Pick'n Mix is a great demo mode for the cab. It may lack many games, but I can't fault the cart for the price and what it does.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Buy a MiSTer in 2023 is a good advice. Most peeps can't even clean a cart or a cartridge slot anyway. Imagine AES carts with insertion marks.
Repaired lots of stuff over the last years but my MiSTer already turned from an addition to a replacement. It also works the other way around of course.
The worst thing that happened to my MiSTer was when my SanDisk micro SD died. Got a new one from Amazon and just made a fresh install.