What's the most economical way to acquire an AES?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I saw a Japanese region AES for $200 and was wondering how much it would cost to have a Unibios put in and if that would be worth the cost.
Not to mention that the standard video/power cables could be acquired for under $30.

I want an AES and don't care about HD currently.

As for controllers, I'd use the one I have for my MV2F

Any recommendations? And what would people suggest my minimum budget be for an AES console as far as current pricing goes?
home system is not economical

plain and simple

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
I hope that OP is just trolling because otherwise, wow.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I probably should've specified that I wouldn't expect to be spending a small sum of money, more like going for the lesser of the evils.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
If you want an AES with enough games to make it worth while I'd suggest saving up for a while and buying a package. You could get a console for $150-$200 but then even the cheap games are going to cost you $40-$100 each. It's a lot more 'economical' to save up maybe $400-$500 and look for a package with a bunch of games.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
I probably should've specified that I wouldn't expect to be spending a small sum of money, more like going for the lesser of the evils.

-wait for a neo geo aes collection to hit the internet(not ebay)
-use neo geo price guide
-make offer like 50-60%
-if there are games that you know you cant afford tell the seller you are not buying those

seller might make you good deal if he/she belive that you are going to play those games and not to resale them.

Last edited:

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
yep, you are probably right. maybe 70% then. also depends on what kinda demand for neo geo games in your country have and how much are you spending on a neo geo collection.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
lowballing in the homeconsole market? yeah, good luck.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
yeah well I think it is better choice than steal one which is also suggested in this topic :D

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
yep, you are probably right. maybe 70% then. also depends on what kinda demand for neo geo games in your country have and how much are you spending on a neo geo collection.

They must have good weed in Finland. But you should really cut back before you post.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If you can't afford an AES, or if you can't find an alternative way to buy one, then you don't need to own one. Just buy an MVS instead.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
They must have good weed in Finland. But you should really cut back before you post.

How did you know? That way i got my Neo geo collection Me and Snoop dogg where smoking weed and Snoop was like YO do you want to buy a Neo Geo? and i was like Neo whuutt?!? You are trippingg doggg and He was like no 4 real YO buy my muthafucking NEO GEO. I dont remember what i paid but i think it was like 70% of neo geo price guide

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I really just want it for the aesthetic under my TV.

Well shit bro, I have an empty AES shell I can sell you. Sit that under your TV and you'll be good to go. I can even sell you a Samsho cart to sit next to it. Shouldn't set you back anymore than $50.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
2mvrJwW.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Most economical? Trading up. Sell whatever you don't play and don't mind letting go.

lord7289

n00b

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I would definitely want the AES to work, I'd play it, just not as much as my 2 slot MVS.
I love my MVS. All 15 of my games came from this community. I like the bundle idea. Thing is I never sell anything video game related. I'll give it away or trade. But never sell.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
I don't get the appeal of the AES given other options now. I mean, to get the best experience, you'd need a modded AES anyway, so why not just get something like the Omega?

I own an umodded AES, and it blows. The piece of crap doesn't even let me play Viewpoint in 2 player simultaneous mode because I don't have access to the BIOS menu. You can't even play Samurai Shodown II uncensored in English on an unmodded USA AES machine. The video output options on an unmodded AES absolutely stink, too.

It's not just a matter of it being more expensive than an MVS setup. It's more expensive and WORSE.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
yep, you are probably right. maybe 110% then. also depends on what kinda demand for neo geo games in your country have and how much are you spending on a neo geo collection.

ftfy.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?256830-house-broken-into-neo-collection-untouched

But on a serious note, I saw somebody earlier suggested buying a junk one and repairing it. There may be something in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzy7JUu2CiE

That's obviously just an example but there's lots of videos like it. I scoured Ebay for a couple of months before I bought mine. I got a working AES which is a bit battered but came with 5 games for £215 and I love it.

I saw these videos and rushed over to eBay. I'm totally Doing this, or trying to one day. No dead AES units for sale.... Dude got one fully functional unit and one mostly functional unit for under $50

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
If you don't feel like consolizing an MVS an AES with a converter is a good option. I got by for quite a while with that setup and really enjoyed it. AES carts are just too expensive.