what's the difference between metal slug 2 and metal slug x?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
People say that overclocking the Neo fixes it somewhat.

It doesn't, did it years ago.

As for the rom structure I'm hoping it's the same. I know someone pulled the Ironclad from the Wii VC so hopefully it's the same or maybe I need it from another source.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Well, it's worth looking into if you are right. I'm afraid there isn't a usable P rom in there though.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Imagine not actually owning the machine you're playing and having to pay money for real.
You will soon noticed the difference between a Level-4 and a Level-8 game.

PS: gibe monie pls

Yeah, I thought about that but since the mvs is more common now in homes them in arcade places maybe it was different.

But even if you are a terrible player with unlimited coins you can go to the end :))

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Why do you prefer 2? I've only ever played X so I've got nothing to compare it to.

The only thing X has going for it is the lack of slowdown, which in 2 is honestly not that bad if you're playing single player.

2 has better bosses, better boss placement (some of the bosses on X are fucking retarded), a far better colour pallete all the way through the game, check out level 2 for example. You don't get the big alien reveal until very late on as it should be, whereas on X they are in pretty quick - no mummy dogs either. bleh. weapons are a lot saner.

I dunno, I just prefer it, X seems a bit hollow to me.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I used to kinda hate on slug 2 for it's slow down, but once you have played the game quite a bit not only do you adapt, but you play in a way that minimizes the slowdown. I used to get stuck really bad on stage 5-1 and it would be even worse because sometimes on that stage the game can get going so slow that some inputs are dropped, but once I practiced that stage a little I learned to play it in a more efficient way that would kill the enemies off fast enough that the slowdown would never get too bad.

metal slug 2 is definitely a awesome game, but the debate between 2 and X never really interested me all that much, because slug1 is superior to all of them!

valgalder

Kula's Candy
besides fixing the slowdown issues, I greatly prefer Metal Slug 2.. it may be partly because I played it WAY more when it came out and didn't get X until years after..but I still think the enemy / item placements etc are better as well as everything Kernow pointed out above. I have them both but still play 2 way more. It's my favorite of the whole series.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
metal slug 2 is definitely a awesome game, but the debate between 2 and X never really interested me all that much, because slug1 is superior to all of them!

Agreed, Slug 1 is the best in the series by a mile. Pity I'm sick to the teeth of it, I don't own any slugs now but I'd probably pick up 2.

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
The only thing X has going for it is the lack of slowdown, which in 2 is honestly not that bad if you're playing single player.

2 has better bosses, better boss placement (some of the bosses on X are fucking retarded), a far better colour pallete all the way through the game, check out level 2 for example. You don't get the big alien reveal until very late on as it should be, whereas on X they are in pretty quick - no mummy dogs either. bleh. weapons are a lot saner.

I dunno, I just prefer it, X seems a bit hollow to me.

I've just watched a couple of videos on youtube and I instantly know what you mean. 2 just seems a lot more logical and a far more complete game. I'm tempted to get it on MVS as it feels like the 'correct' version. I always liked X but, after seeing 2, it just seems like some kid has messed around with it in a level editor. Shame because a version if 2 without slowdown would have been great.

Having said that, I do prefer the colour palette on level 2 in X.

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I honestly think it's more of a issue with the input delay than the lack of slowdown, but metal slug 2 on the ps2 anthology with none of the slowdown is really fucking hard. If the slowdown of 2 was somehow removed but the enemy patterns and bullet speeds were kept the same, the game might end up pretty unbalanced.

For example when you fight the stage 3 boss in ms2 on the anthology using the slug flyer, the boss fires a vulcan that leaves small gaps for you to navigate through, this is pretty easy to do on the MVS version, but I actually found it extremely hard in the ps2 port, the gaps are decently large but when they come at you super fast and your hitbox is gigantic it pretty much means a dead slug flyer for me, in real slug 2 that boss is cake for me.