What's the best way to watch the original Star Wars trilogy?

Raizen1984

n00b
I haven't seen any of them since I was a kid, and I really want to watch them again. But I realize that there's been a million changes and special editions over the years that alter the movies in negative ways.

I have been told to avoid the Blu-rays.

So after all these years, what's the best way to watch these movies, or maybe which version? Preferably nothing rare/expensive.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I haven't seen any of them since I was a kid, and I really want to watch them again. But I realize that there's been a million changes and special editions over the years that alter the movies in negative ways.

So after all these years, what's the best way to watch these movies, or maybe which version? Preferably nothing rare/expensive.

Laserdisc version shot on a perfectly in focus 1080p camera burned to a Blu-Ray. For real.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's

Just watch the Blu-Rays.
It's so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Fan edits.

The ones I have have completely reversed the "special edtion" crap and they can be burned on blu rays or played on vlc. Or, you can do like me and re-encode them for play on a PS3 or other devices.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Watch the original unedited trilogy on a format of your choice, that's all.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
On VHS before they did all the CGI stuff and messed with the ending of Return of the Jedi.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
As far as official releases, the LD box set or DVD original version B-sides.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
As far as official releases, the LD box set or DVD original version B-sides.

This.

I have the "faces" original edit letterbox on LD and it's acceptable in quality (better than VHS). With only one small CRT remaining in my home however...this is a problem. My LD player looks like canned shit on either of my HD sets.

I also have the DVD "b-sides" set...but it's just a letterbox rip of the LD versions. Again...shit on a 16:9 set unless you force 4:3. Doing that you get the horrible "picture frame" presentation.

I hate to say it...but I've given up watching the original trilogy until Disney releases HD, unedited transfers (IF they ever do it...who knows).

I refuse to buy the Blu Ray set...I won't drop $$ for that Lucas added CG and "extended" horse shit...

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I hate to say it...but I've given up watching the original trilogy until Disney releases HD, unedited transfers (IF they ever do it...who knows).

I refuse to buy the Blu Ray set...I won't drop $$ for that Lucas added CG and "extended" horse shit...

It's Disney, so they'll probably flood over all the characters in MS Paint and then re-do the effects with a Video Toaster.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
The new iTunes released version is just another HD special edition with more FX and scenes peppered in just like every other modern release. If you want to see it unaltered, you have to pirate that shit.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
This.

I have the "faces" original edit letterbox on LD and it's acceptable in quality (better than VHS). With only one small CRT remaining in my home however...this is a problem. My LD player looks like canned shit on either of my HD sets.

I also have the DVD "b-sides" set...but it's just a letterbox rip of the LD versions. Again...shit on a 16:9 set unless you force 4:3. Doing that you get the horrible "picture frame" presentation.

I will say one thing for the Blu-Ray release, the DTS-HD Master tracks are really nice. I own so many sets of the Star Wars trilogy I figure why not one more?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I mentioned it above, but there are fan edited "despecialized" versions based several sources to recreate an HD version of the original theatrical versions of each film.

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/to...ed-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/topic/12713/

You can find them places where movies may be downloaded...

These are the ones I was talking about earlier as well, they're excellent.

Also the HAL9000 fan edits of the prequel trilogy make the movies much more bearable to watch, an average of 30 minutes were cut from each film, tightening up the flow of the movies, and downplaying stupid plotlines, such as most of the bullshit with Jar Jar in the first movie.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

Probably the best way would be to watch both. First the original unedited versions of the original trilogy (the best versions of these are the laserdisc and DVD versions). Then watch the whole series of the six movies on blu-ray.
Theoretically the best way would be to watch the original prints of the original trilogy in a cinema. But as far as I know it's only film preserving companies (and probably Lucasfilm) that have copies of the original prints. And sometimes they re-release them in the cinema, like when the Special Editions and the 3D Phantom Menace came out. Lucas himself prefers to watch his movies in the cinema.

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Harmy's despecialized editions are really pieces of love and are build upon lots and lots of community work. Go for them.

I can't recommend them enough. Just like many classic computer games, it takes a 'pirate' to preserve the past.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic

They're worth owning for the new extras.

They even hid the Holiday Special's Boba Fett cartoon as an easter egg.

Last edited: