what were they thinking when they designed choi?

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
i mean really..he looks like freddy kruger's midget...he even has those claw thingys and his hat..what do you guys think?

Brad

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I think they were just trying to make a different, quirky character. The "Freddy" influence is something that is certainly there, and I'm sure they wouldn't deny drawing from it.

I feel that they simply fell on their face with that design. When I consider the amount of characters SNK has created, I guess it's inevitable that I'm bound to dislike a few of their designs, no matter how hard they try to make them all diverse and interesting. Choi just happens to be one of the characters I don't like.

Chin up, SNK(P), I still love you. And thanks for keeping that little bastard out of KOF 2003.

Rodi

Crossed Swords Squire
Well I think they deliberately made him into a nerd with all those "yansu" quotes, his miniscule size, ugly face, bald, old, I dunno whats up with the Freddy Kreuger look and claws but main thing is I think he was meant to be stupid looking...
He and Chang was probably designed to be characters that are dumb and ridiculous...

But then again, not all characters are meant to look "cool"...

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Choi is for cheaters anyway. A character who is small enough to avoid high kicks and punchs without crouching is a cheater character. That's all.:angry:

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Choi is for cheaters anyway. A character who is small enough to avoid high kicks and punchs without crouching is a cheater character. That's all.
yea ever do one of these? *Hien shippu kyaku right over choi/baos head*..yea bao sucks too!

Kusanagi2004

NEST Puppet
It almost seems like someone annoying is present in most fighting games these days. I don't know about anyone else but I always put Choi in the ranks with freaky/strange people like Voldo. That may be going out on a limb, but it's the example draw from.

Like it was said earlier, not every character is designed to be cool. I've never known anyone who's made Choi and active part of their team lineup. I do cringe when I face off against him when the CPU AI is in control. That little punk files all over the place and I just want to grab him and ram a knee in his face until he's unconscious.

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Dude, you should play against more people :P
Choi is a great character... bad design though.

They should scrap him and Chang's current design and go with Cool Choi and Cool Chang from 2k.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
yea cool choi (its a striker if you dont know) should replace choi....i dunno though...it may seem kinda weird without him...you do need some freak characters

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
cool choi owns

I wish theyd change him over..

choi beat my ass today as well lol

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
choi's design has something to do with him being a reformed
criminal just like chang. ie the ball and chain with shackles.
and claws for choi. he's quite the unpopular one.
he is a mean little fucker though.

Priest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
heh

Choi and Bao are for people who can't play, and need to be cheap to have any hopes of winning.

Kusanagi2004

NEST Puppet
dragonwillow said:
Dude, you should play against more people :P
Choi is a great character... bad design though.

They should scrap him and Chang's current design and go with Cool Choi and Cool Chang from 2k.

You're right Cool Choi is one of my favorite strikers from KOF2000. I put him in a character lineup for a MUGEN fighter I designed sometime around last month. Actually Cool Choi and Cool Chang were present. Cool Choi does have what it takes to make it on my roster. His pose with the claws in that mode makes him look deadly rather than psychotically laughable.

kshira

Crazed MVS Addict
If they could make a freaky ugly character like Gen-An look cool then they can do it with with Choi.

Sticks

Super Spy Agent
Designers were doing the following...

Watching "A Nightmare on Elm Street" while making Choi Bounge...

Watching "Kamen Rider" (Any of them is fine) while making Jinju "May" Lee.

Watching "Akira" while making K' 9999

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
They just went throught the typical motions of character design. They asked themselves "Who does the gamer want to play as?" And naturally they came up with an afeminant, old, ugly, annoying Freddy Kruegar looking midget. Why is that so hard to accept???:eek_2:

FormlessOne

Chin's Drinking Partner
Is this cool Choi?
choi-tall-noanim.gif

If so, anyone have a better pic?

Last edited:
D

Devils Child

I think Choi is funny. I hate him, and never use him, but fighting against him is kinda fun. And the fact he tags along with big, fat Chang is even more funny. It is like the two criminals who roomed together and became 'drop the soap buddies'.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
if you can block properly choi isnt a problem. ive said it b4, he has no mix up and his high damage combos are very difficult to set up. his only weapons are his speed (again shut it down with solid defence), his heavy crossup into l,l super and some great priority on his lights (nice range on his s.LP).

the only time he comes close to cheap is when he spends too much time doing his air special in twice then out once...

cheap and the inability to defend properly arent the same thing.

k9999 now there is cheap. whip too, shes cheap