What was the first arcade game you played?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Centipede. I remember I was given a bunch of quarters to play and my older brother was supposed to help me, as I was too young to really understand what to do on my own (not to mention so short that I had to reach waaaaaaaaay up to even touch the buttons and joystick), but his "help" consisted of spending the majority of my quarters on himself.

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Jr. in my neighbors garage. We were really young (kindergarten or 1st grade) and would play for hours on end. His Dad owned a Chinese restaurant and would swap games out, keeping the extras in the garage.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
The first arcade game I ever played was R-Type at a local bowling alley called Mowry Lanes in Fremont, CA. I spent so much money playing the game and learning how to avoid certain bullets.

GAMEFAN

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wow...I'm struggling to remember that...

I'm guessing a mid 80's title. Frogger? Pac Man? I seriously cannot remember.

I didn't have the option to spend much time in an arcade until the late 80's and y that time, most of those older cabs weren't readily around. A local Pizza Hut did have Rush N Attack stand up...I did play that...

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The first arcade game I ever played was R-Type at a local bowling alley called Mowry Lanes in Fremont, CA. I spent so much money playing the game and learning how to avoid certain bullets.

GAMEFAN

holy crap, i remember Mowry Lanes! I grew up around there, but went to Cloverleaf more often and used to play a shit ton of Final Fight over there.

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Is that the hack/bootleg version?

I am not sure. I was 5yrs old at the time and my dad took to a local arcade in school uniform (btw i was living in Hong Kong at the time)...All i remember is the next day I got called into the principles office and asked why i went to the arcade in school uniform... So not sure if it was a hack of bootleg version

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Since we're talking any game in an arcade, most definitely a pinball machine but remembering the name of it 40+ years later? Forget about it :tickled:

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
Hard to exactly remember... but the first memory I can think of is playing TMNT Arcade at a Chi-Chi's.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Played my first arcade game at a mall in the 70s when I was about 8 or 9 (so it must have been around '78 or '79), it was a Space Invaders-type of game but with submarines, you had to look through a periscope and shoot ships and stuff. I don't remember the name of the game, wish I would, I'd love to play it again in some way or another. There was a restaurant in the mall that had the game, my parents and sister were eating while I pumped tons of Deutschmarks in the cab... good times.

One of the earliest games I vividly remember playing is Asteroids. Great game, loved the vector graphics. It was the beginning of a life-long obsession with abstract shooters. My deepest obession in this regard is Robotron 2084. I wasn't so obsessive about it as with Wonderboy, but hey.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Original gauntlet 4pl cab
That was the jam

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I suspect there was an earlier game I played, but the first I vividly remember was Robocop at my local newsagents. He changed the game a few times a year and I remember playing Aliens there too. Good times.

Edit: another game springs to mind that seems like an early memory - it was like super skidmarks on the amiga but it was a four player arcade with steering wheels. Anyone know what this was?

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
When i was living in Japan i walked to the arcade w/ my bro. I was too scared to play Space Harrier so i elected to play an arcade game called Ninja Kun instead. I think i also played Karate Champ that same day. Never did play Space Harrier, i just watch people play.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
First arcade game, and first game I ever played was at the local arcade 6 blocks from my house my Dad took me to was the 1979 Taito game Alpine ski. I played it in 1981 as a 5 year old. It's on the 2nd taito collection on PS2.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
tie between Tron and Phoenix at the Gunter Youth Centre

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Donkey Kong guessing around '82-'83. Bugged my parents enough to get a quarter. Though Math Grand Prix on the Atati 2600 was around then too.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I have been chewing on this one all day...

Before we relocated to Illinois, we lived in Phoenix. We had a local circle K that had a Spy Hunter machine...1984 or so. I clearly remember playing it...probably the earliest arcade game memory I have...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It was either TMNT or Sunset Riders, I recall playing those at a laundromat around the corner from our building in Queens.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I have been chewing on this one all day...

Before we relocated to Illinois, we lived in Phoenix. We had a local circle K that had a Spy Hunter machine...1984 or so. I clearly remember playing it...probably the earliest arcade game memory I have...

The good old days...where EVERY Circle K, 7-11 and any convenience store had a pair or three games in the front or front side of the store.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Has to be Pong as far as video games. My first arcade game would have to of been a pinball.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Golden Axe...and the epic music is still stuck in my head. :vik:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Asteroids in a bowling alley. I was so young my Dad held me up to the machine and controlled the ship as I beat the hell out of the fire button. That one experience started all this madness. :)