What is the rarest arcade games

Himuragames

Crossed Swords Squire
What is the rarest arcade in your opinion?

Bonus qusetion:
What is best arcade game (past or present) :drool_2:

J. Max

judas,
Rarest is probably "I, Robot". They only made like 2500 of those and some that ended up at the bottom of the Pacific. (Not counting prototypes like "Marble Madness 2")

Best is tough to say...

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That Magic the Gathering game never made it past proto... That's the only one that springs to mind (well Omega Race is rare but not that rare).

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Batsugun Special mehbe?

Or the Black Label DoDonPachi?

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Probably that East German arcade game Poly Play

Wow this is a fantastical, original thread not based on another 3 or 4 posts down.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Vicious Circle is probablyone of the rarest.. it's a proto.

Tacitus

Staff member
RevQuixo said:
Probably that East German arcade game Poly Play

What? No mention of Polybius?

:loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I' Robot isn't that rare compared to some other arcade games. I own one and didn't have too much trouble hunting it down. I've actually seen quite a few of them for sale.

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
the lupin the 3rd Laserdisc game cliff hanger by Stern its the Holy Grail Laserdisc arcade games :buttrock:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Midway's "Judge Dredd"...never made it to the arcades...

1051810989.jpg

1085721784.jpg

1051811063.jpg

Himuragames

Crossed Swords Squire
I have the Laser Disc

I have some of the parts for Cliff Hanger. I have the board and Laserdisc
(I lucked out on it) :buttrock:

redrum666 said:
the lupin the 3rd Laserdisc game cliff hanger by Stern its the Holy Grail Laserdisc arcade games :buttrock:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i would say the mtg arcade game as well. it was finished, and only 1 or 2 cabinets were made.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Pu Li Ru La isn't an easy one to find at all... as for Polybius... I once knew this kid who played the game at a local arcade... then disappeared. When his mom called the arcade to see if anyone had any info on her son... the guy said it was the fifth call he had gotten about missing children. They had all played Polybius... oddly the machine was stolen 2 nights later... and there were singe marks on the floor near the cabinet. My buddy and I went and saw them, they smelled like chicken and sulfur... Which kind of made us hungry so we left and never went back. True story... or completly made up... it's one of the two,

-Nick

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Himuragames said:
What is the rarest arcade in your opinion?

Bonus qusetion:
What is best arcade game (past or present) :drool_2:

MX-5000 is reported on KLOV.COM as being one of Konami's Wide Releases but damn near no one I've ever mentioned the game to remembers ever seeing it let alone playing it, so I'd say that this game and another Konami game Devastators are TWO of the most rare games that ever came out. Both were products of the cold war and both most almost never saw. *Heck I didn't even see MX-5000 until the summer of 1990 at Laughlin AFB in Del Rio Texas at an Anthony's Pizzaria... haven't seen once since :(

...as for what I consider the best arcade game of past or present, I'd have to say that I truly love the JPN version w. storyline of Taito's 1987 Heroic Fantasy hack n' slasher game RASTAN SAGA *Part II sucked and Part III: Warrior Blade was okay, but #1 was the best overall and I clamor to my Zuntata Soundtrack of the Conan The Barbarian game Taito lost the "rights" to and were forced to rename and make subtle changes, one of the many reasons the cut scenes and intro story were axed from the North American releases.

MERCENARY X99 :cool:

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Devastators was a pretty cool game. I remember setting that kit up over at Golfland where I worked many eons ago. The psuedo-3D scrolling was kind of a marvel concept at the time...much better than Williams' Blaster.

Another real rare game...Williams' "Turkey Shoot". Came out during the first great arcade crash of the early 80's...shooting turkey gangsters and having real feathers fly all over the screen :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Rarest arcade game? Depends. There are some custom-made mechanical coin-op machines from the 1920s to the early 60s, mechanical shooting gallery cabs, fortune teller machines, all that stuff you can see in old movies. If you take this into consideration, we're talking about cabs with a collector value of several hundreds of thousands and a distribution of exactly one piece... ;)

@Rev: Polyplay, yes, that's a quite uncommon one. It was made by VEB Polytechnik Karl Marx Stadt (now Chemnitz) and released in 1986 as the only official arcade machine ever made in the GDR. I've seen one on the Computer- und Videospielemuseum in Berlin, which btw. is the coolest museum I know... :) Ah yeah, the machine has 8 builtin games with hilarious German names such as Hase und Wolf, Schiessbude, Autorennen, etc.

After the fall of the iron curtain, the once beloved Polyplay got ridiculed and finally dumped in favour of all those shiny new machines, only a small handful of the 2500 units that were made from 1986 to 89 survived the bizarre years after the German reunification...

Here's a pic of one:

polyplay.jpg

Btw., did you know that the GDR even had their own Pong console clone? Behold the BSS 01 (Bildschirmspielgerät 01):

bss01.jpg

It's also damn rare.

yashiroTCM

Hardened Shock Trooper
Karate Champ (1984)

kchampvs_1.png

kchampvs_2.png

This one sure is a weird one... since you had to play it using two joysticks combining commands (I.E. Backward on Joy1 and Down-Backward on Joy2 = Low sweep). It had just so many combinations, I dont know if 64 in total (Cuz 8 commands on Joy1 x 8 commands on Joy2 = 8x8 = 64)

Tacitus

Staff member
yashiroTCM said:
Karate Champ (1984)

kchampvs_1.png

kchampvs_2.png

This one sure is a weird one... since you had to play it using two joysticks combining commands (I.E. Backward on Joy1 and Down-Backward on Joy2 = Low sweep). It had just so many combinations, I dont know if 64 in total (Cuz 8 commands on Joy1 x 8 commands on Joy2 = 8x8 = 64)

That game is WAYYYYY common.