What is the cheapest price you ever paid for a "Rare"/ very expensive game

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Just wonder what sort of deals people have come across. This one time, about 7-8 years ago, I purchased Megaman X2 and Megaman X3 off of this dumbass for $40. The games were both MINT. Crispy boxes and inserts, same with the games. I turned around and sold them on ebay about a year later for a little over $300.

What crazy scores have you guys come across? I wanna hear some stories.....

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
billd420 said:
Just wonder what sort of deals people have come across. This one time, about 7-8 years ago, I purchased Megaman X2 and Megaman X3 off of this dumbass for $40. The games were both MINT. Crispy boxes and inserts, same with the games. I turned around and sold them on ebay about a year later for a little over $300.

What crazy scores have you guys come across? I wanna hear some stories.....

Wait a minute a guy sold you two great games and you call him a dumbass that ain't cool. Let me get it straight you bought x2 & X3 about 7-8 weeks ago and sold them on ebay for over 300 bucks...for some reason I find it hard to believe because I have seen X3 in Mint condition selling for about 150 at max on ebay and X2 selling for about 60-70 at max, if you combine both of their sales that would be a little over 200 bucks. Doubt is in my mind do you have an ebay link to prove your marvelous profit? :glee:

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
If you see the post it says "7-8 years ago" not 7-8 weeks. I sold the X games sepperately about 5-6 years ago, and netted a total of about $300 (can't remember the final price, but it was around the $300 ballpark). And the dude that sold me the games was a dumbass. Everyone in my neighborhood back in the day knew this.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga used from funcoland for $20 years back. Ofcourse I acted like a dumbass(I didnt know about ebay back then, I didnt have the internet yet) and sold it to someone I knew for $50. Still, $30 profit wasnt too bad.

I also bought FF6 for $5 from a used record store and sold it for $20.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
TravistyOJ said:
A couple of years ago someone gave me FF3 for SNES (really 6) for free :)

I 'borrowed' someones FF2(4) and ended up giving it to someone else for free later. The battery was shot though. :chimp:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
DIY said:
I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga used from funcoland for $20 years back. Ofcourse I acted like a dumbass(I didnt know about ebay back then, I didnt have the internet yet) and sold it to someone I knew for $50. Still, $30 profit wasnt too bad.

I also bought FF6 for $5 from a used record store and sold it for $20.

FUCK YOU!!! I still wish I would've bought Panzer Dragoon Saga from Funcoland for $50 (full price when released) back when I had the chance. I just was going to wait for the price to drop a bit, I never have seen it in any store, ever, after that. And the last time I checked the price on that game on ebay, I almost shit myself. Well, atleast I have DragonForce...

btw, I don't hate you, I just wish I had your luck. $5 for FF6 is killer too.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
12 complete AES games for $30. Some ignorant fool in a mom and pop store lolz.

I had about $400 profit after selling them.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Tung Fu ru said:
FUCK YOU!!! I still wish I would've bought Panzer Dragoon Saga from Funcoland for $50 (full price when released) back when I had the chance. I just was going to wait for the price to drop a bit, I never have seen it in any store, ever, after that. And the last time I checked the price on that game on ebay, I almost shit myself. Well, atleast I have DragonForce...

btw, I don't hate you, I just wish I had your luck. $5 for FF6 is killer too.

I feel bad now thinking of all these saturn games I used to own. I picked up Dragon Force, Albert Odysess and Shining wisdom all at that Funco the same day. I think I spent $80 for a saturn and those games too. Seemed some saturn RPG fan had ditched their collection there and I got insanely lucky that day.

Last edited:

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
billd420 said:
If you see the post it says "7-8 years ago" not 7-8 weeks. I sold the X games sepperately about 5-6 years ago, and netted a total of about $300 (can't remember the final price, but it was around the $300 ballpark). And the dude that sold me the games was a dumbass. Everyone in my neighborhood back in the day knew this.

Yeah I wasn't sure...thanks for the clarity, what did you do with the profits from the sale?

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
About $1000 for a PCE Duo, Core Grafx 2 with Tennokoe Bank 2 & GT with 24 games and a boxed AES with 18 games about march/april last year.

Needless to say I easily doubled my money on the deal.

Snuh

Sieger's Squire
Best deals... hmm probably Snatcher on Sega CD for $10. New NEC Turbo Duo for $99 and a new Dracula X PCE for $99

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Big box of stuff worth $1000+ and got it for only $60. Only thing I couldnt sell were the laserdiscs.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I’ve had quite a few little scores:

Contra Force NES $2 (sold for $40)
Final Fight Guy SNES $5 (sold for $50)
A-vs-P Jaguar $10 (Sold for $45)
NES top load in box $20 (Sold for $120)
Box-o-Jaguar stuff $25 (split up, sold for $150)
Phantasy Star II complete Genesis given to me
Box of Atari 2600 stuff including 50 games $30
Brand new Jaguar and 4 sealed games $40

There’s some other smaller ones but on the other hand, I’ve yet to have that “find of a lifetime”.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
From eBay last year, I got a nice bundle containing:

1 Neo Geo AES JP console w/ all cables
2 New style controllers
1 Memory Card
JP SVC Chaos
JP KOF '96
JP KOF 2000
JP Fatal Fury Special

All for $300.

A few weeks later I got a mint Sonic Wings 3 AES for $100, and a US KOF 2001 for $90.

But probably the best deal I ever got was a brand new SNES Earthbound for $10 from the bargain bin at Best Buy, many years ago.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Sealed Zelda on the snes for .50p at a boot sale, swapped a broken 6 slot (memory error so fucked) for a sealed cd overtop once too.

NipRing

The Shlonginator,
My best profits ever; all 3 of these are fro the 2600: Complete boxed Color Bar Generator(found in 2002), loose Chase the Chuckwagon and loose Tooth Protectors (in 2004)from the Goodwill for $.99 each. Sold Chase and TP for $85 each and Color Bar Gen on ebay for $347. That $347 went directly to NeoGeo2K2 for my very first boxed silver system in '02 :chimp:. And the $170 from the other two bought me a new MS5 kit. :mr_t:

~bill

daybona

Juz,
This one time, about 7-8 years ago, I purchased Megaman X2 and Megaman X3 off of this dumbass for $40.

Not everyone puts as much stock in games as we here on the forums do.

There are some people here who get off on spending lots on shit and how much there collection is worth, but in reality I think great deals are had more often than you think but you just don't see as most of them are private sales.

GhostPilotDude

Banned for Being:, RACIST SCUM
Someone gave me about 30 philips cd-i games for free, I sold all of them together and got about $100 and sold the zelda wand of gamelon separate for $46.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
$8 Snatcher Sega CD

$20 Popful Mail Sega CD

$35 Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari PC Engine

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Jap Virtual Boy with 10 games - Paid about $35 and sold for $330

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Hmmm

Tengen Tetris for $5
5 PC Engine games for $10 that sold for $160.
Phantasy Star 1 - $3
17 import saturn games including Phantasy Star Collection, Dragon Force 1 + 2, and others for $70
Jaguar in the box and 5 games for $25
Free Colecovision with 20 games.
50 2600 games, 15 5200 games, a few coleco and jaguar games - $10 and sold for $200
Fairchild Channel F in the box with 5 games for $50
Dragon Force and Albert Odyssey for $3
Toejam and Earl 1 in box with book and poster for $10
Various killer deals on arcade boards and MVS carts.

A big part of game collecting I enjoy is finding a good deal. I almost enjoy it more then playing the games.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
back when i worked at the original gamestore
that i worked at.
ask merc.
there was this guy that was kinda a friend and a regular.
he had dbz gt on ps. now. i've always said that that was a fun game.
and i do actually think it was fun at the time. 360 supers, wierd trap combos.
i had fun with it. i told him that hey. i'd buy his for 20 bucks since he needed
the money. he was like, but it's worth alot more on ebay though.
i was like. hey man, i'm not going to sell it on ebay.
he was strapped for cash and he gave it to me for 20.
i played it once or twice again, but i ended up selling it that year on ebay.
for about 120, it was a scratched up disc though.
amazing what parents will do for their greedy little kids.
i used it to buy christmas gifts for all my friends.
(interesting note, it was the second time i owned the game. I got tired of it originally
and sold it to a kid for 40 bucks since you couldn't find it anymore after it initially sold out)

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I've found many bargains over the years. My most recent was a full English Puzzle Bobble 2 kit for £12.