What Is The Best NES Console/Hardware Platform?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
It’s good enough that I also own a Twin Fami that I don’t even know if it works to this day because it came without a PSU and I never cared to buy one. It’s 72 pin, no CIC, indestructible slot, compatible with NESRGB and not one of those POS on a chip clones you see today.

I imagine people selling it overseas have no reason to not flip it like their lives depended on it though lol

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It’s good enough that I also own a Twin Fami that I don’t even know if it works to this day because it came without a PSU and I never cared to buy one. It’s 72 pin, no CIC, indestructible slot, compatible with NESRGB and not one of those POS on a chip clones you see today.

I imagine people selling it overseas have no reason to not flip it like their lives depended on it though lol
You should give it some TLC, man. Seriously, that's too good to being left to wither away.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Toploader NES always felt wrong for me even if you don't have to deal with the notorious pin connector.
Yeah, I kinda get that. The Japanese version of the toploader design makes a lot more sense to me.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Yeah, I kinda get that. The Japanese version of the toploader design makes a lot more sense to me.
Why is that? I was always baffled the toploader only had RF, but other than that it makes sense to me. According to Wikipedia there is a version of the toploader that has the same multi out that the SNES and N64 have.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Why is that? I was always baffled the toploader only had RF, but other than that it makes sense to me. According to Wikipedia there is a version of the toploader that has the same multi out that the SNES and N64 have.
Yeah, I should have written more. The console looks tiny with a giant US cart sticking out the top. Those carts were clearly designed for a larger, VCR-loading style console. Looks awkward.

The Japanese version is the one with AV multi out.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
The Japanese version is the one with AV multi out.
This site says there was a rarer late US version that had it too

> A rare later version replaced RF with the same AV multi-out port used on the Super NES (and the Nintendo 64, and the GameCube)

Is it true? Who knows.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This site says there was a rarer late US version that had it too

> A rare later version replaced RF with the same AV multi-out port used on the Super NES (and the Nintendo 64, and the GameCube)

Is it true? Who knows.
I have my doubts, but it's interesting. This topic adds some credibility:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm gonna use hot distilled water in an ultrasonic bath on the 72pin connector, this should get off all the dirt and grime. Currently I'm looking for a tech manual of the NES to find out about the original specs of that thing, should be possible to bring it back to factory settings.

Prices for used NES consoles over here are a mixed bag, you can get a standard front-loading PAL NES for around 100 or less but if you want a AV Fami or anything else that's not standard, you gonna have to shell out. NESRGB AV Famicoms in refurbished condition go for between 280 and 400 Eurobucks, you can get them for half that if you keep on digging, still a bit to much for me for what you get.

I must say I like the front-loader, it's a nice little box that has a charme like no other console I own and I'm having tons of fun catching up on all the cool games I've missed back in the day.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Pre-modded consoles are expensive, and the NESRGB board isn't super cheap to begin with. That's why I did my own. NESRGB is not a beginner level mod though.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I recently serviced my childhood toaster NES, but the 72 pin thing is too messed up for it to work. I've got an AV Famicom that I really like.

EDIT: Also Tak, not trying to like hock my wares in here or whatever, but I've got a spare NESRGB modded AV FC that I'm looking to sell. The price I'm looking for is quite a bit less than the range you posted, just for awareness!

Last edited: