What is one technology you would rather never existed?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Social Media Algorithms.

And that fucking stupid button on your phones that lets you take selfies.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
V-Chip. Always hated the idea of enabling parents not to give a fuck about their kids TV watching habits by allowing someone else to dictate what is bad for them. Without that maybe we wouldn't live in a society that feels they can tell everybody how to raise everybody else's kids. One can hope.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
NEO-GEO Mini.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
The ability to genetically modify foods. F-you Monsanto!

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
V-Chip. Always hated the idea of enabling parents not to give a fuck about their kids TV watching habits by allowing someone else to dictate what is bad for them. Without that maybe we wouldn't live in a society that feels they can tell everybody how to raise everybody else's kids. One can hope.

I never knew V Chip was an actual thing. I only knew it from South Park.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It was for televisions to limit the programming your kids can see. South Park just extended it to ridiculous proportions.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
I'd be nonplussed if planes disappeared tomorrow. I'm not massively bothered about travelling and even then, I love boats and would much rather be on one than a plane. Above that though I don't see why we're fucking everywhere up in this mad panic to go and see somewhere for the sake of it. Leave it to explorers and read a book about it, keep it magical.

Another one for cell phones. Being always and everywhere accessible rapes your time constantly. It's internet inverted: you're like a server for anyone else's junk.

Both beautifully put. I'd condense these two posts to smartphones/social media. The only reason people seemingly go travelling these days is for the likes.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Probably the number one reason I have zero apps on my phone is for the message I always get before continuing:

This app would like permission to view your photo gallery, contacts list, public information, lease information, which hand you use to jack it, assets information, what you buy at the grocery store, etc.

I kind of want to make a thread about that. I am always confused why this isn't making people outraged, I guess it's only me. I really do not understand why these apps think it's OK and what they want to use from viewing the pictures on my phone and contact list, addresses, etc.