What if the NeoGeo X had been something like the PS Vita TV?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You can get the exact experience if you find someone willing to design a Neo Geo clone in a FPGA and put it on a PCB. The problem comes down to nobody wanting to do that, then a chinese company does it and pumps out a poor quality product. So many people bad mouth single chip clones, yet they praise emulation as if it was actually better. Fools, every last one of them. They don't deserve real hardware.

And for clarification, you basically "program" the Neo Geo's various chips into the FPGA, both off the shelf and custom chips. An FPGA is not a software emulator. It's like if a ASIC was programmable by the end user, not permanently fabricated to do one specific thing. You can "code" a FPGA in Verilog or VHDL. With those you can put a 68k, Z80, YM2610 and the Neo's custom chips into one chip. System on a Chip-type ASICs are true hardware.

SNK ended production of the Neo Geo console in 97 because by then they were still reeling from the lack of Neo Geo CD sales. Wasn't the Hyper 64 out in '97? It didn't do so well either. AES system sales were probably hitting all time lows so they just pulled the plug on production. MVS was still going strong, so they kept supporting it with games. There was still demand for AES games too, so that platform remained supported, despite no fresh new consoles to sell.

Last edited:

mr perkins

BANNED. RUGAL2000 FAKE ACCOUNT
I'm not sure that producing items that would lower the value of existing AES cartridges would really go over well with enthusiasts, and I don't think that paying $300 for a game from the nineties you can run on your phone would go over well with anyone else.

The first bit is exactly why so many online people shit on the ngx.it's actually a fantastic concept and value.the true hard-core online fans circa 96-2000 would have loved it back than.sadly now the community today is full of arseholes looking to protect their investment and if that means shitting on a great console like the ngx so be it

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
the Neo Geo x and the AES cost the exact same money. If youre willing to spend an extra 500€ on an 161 AES conversion you can play even more games than the NGX on the original console. I dont see a reason to buy it if there are so much better alternatives to play on original hardware like 161 AES, Conversions, MVS for some money more.

Last edited:

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The first bit is exactly why so many online people shit on the ngx.it's actually a fantastic concept and value.the true hard-core online fans circa 96-2000 would have loved it back than.sadly now the community today is full of arseholes looking to protect their investment and if that means shitting on a great console like the ngx so be it

I can't forgive the ngx. The fact that the update bricked my ngx the day after I got the ngx just shows how much testing went into it. Wow, 200 dollars well spent. I'm not even going to bother with it anymore, I hope tommo is happy with my 200 dollars that I paid for nothing.

Last edited:

Moria/the man

New Challenger
With SNK going after Tommo to stop making the NGX made me think that thy might try to get back into their IP with something. Hopefully that's the case when their contract ends and can produce something worth while.. I bought 2 NGX at the beginning thinking it would be a good buy. I was disappointed with the screen quality and some sound. Now I am looking into the OMEGA MVS. I'd like to see a MINI AES system with Mini carts using real hardware and code. Having the cases be like the OG AES carts. Only a dream though...:drool:

DeusVult

Another Striker
I amost bought one after I got pissed off with sony/bf4/ps4.. I thought I would rather play some old school gaming but after reading the reviews I bought a AES setup with multi cart and have not looked back or at my bank balance.....

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
If youre willing to spend an extra 500€ on an 161 AES conversion [...] I dont see a reason to buy it if there are so much better alternatives to play on original hardware like Conversions.
FUCK OFF!

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I didn't tried the NGX main system, but I got a hold of Tommo's clone of the AES stick.
its a dismal and pale attempt to imitate the AES joystick.

The NGX buttons felt off and the joystick squeaked, I even let me friends who aren't arcade enthisist enthusiasttry out the NGX joystick and a original AES joystick, they can notice the difference in quality.
The Innovation arcade stick for the Dreamcast was a better clone of the AES stick than the NGX is

DCStick1.jpg

I ended up pulling the joystick out of a Innoication stick to "FIX" the NGX stick.

So if thats their controller, I wonder how bad the rest of the system really is.

Your better off getting a PSP and getting the Neo Geo games off PSN.

dcervi

n00b
You can get the exact experience if you find someone willing to design a Neo Geo clone in a FPGA and put it on a PCB. The problem comes down to nobody wanting to do that, then a chinese company does it and pumps out a poor quality product. So many people bad mouth single chip clones, yet they praise emulation as if it was actually better. Fools, every last one of them. They don't deserve real hardware.

And for clarification, you basically "program" the Neo Geo's various chips into the FPGA, both off the shelf and custom chips. An FPGA is not a software emulator. It's like if a ASIC was programmable by the end user, not permanently fabricated to do one specific thing. You can "code" a FPGA in Verilog or VHDL. With those you can put a 68k, Z80, YM2610 and the Neo's custom chips into one chip. System on a Chip-type ASICs are true hardware.

SNK ended production of the Neo Geo console in 97 because by then they were still reeling from the lack of Neo Geo CD sales. Wasn't the Hyper 64 out in '97? It didn't do so well either. AES system sales were probably hitting all time lows so they just pulled the plug on production. MVS was still going strong, so they kept supporting it with games. There was still demand for AES games too, so that platform remained supported, despite no fresh new consoles to sell.

One guy is working on it: [LINK] http://www.ngpace.blogspot.com[/LINK]

Enviat des del meu Nexus 4 usant Tapatalk

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I think the PSP and Vita does a better job of emulating the NEO GEO over Tommo's NG X.

I still think authentic hardware is the way to go (AES, NOE GEO CD, MVS).

But for portability its the Sony PSP or PS Vita or if you want to be cool get a NEO GEO Pocket.

Leave the NG X for the scrubs.