RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Delete me if i succeed.

Last edited:

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
DARK ANDY said:
Um, Verythrax, what is up with your Avatar? :spock:

It's the Manji symbol, on the Manji's (the character) kimono, from the Blade of the Immortal manga.

It's the Buddhist swastika, to make it short. No nazi-related, if you are wondering.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Verythrax said:
It's the Manji symbol, on the Manji's (the character) kimono, from the Blade of the Immortal manga.

It's the Buddhist swastika, to make it short. No nazi-related, if you are wondering.

Okay, cool. :)

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
I see the poll!

The swastika has served many purposed before the Nazis ruined it forever.
A symbol of prosperity and good luck, it actually comes from a Sanskrit word (svastika) meaning, in simplified terms, to improve well-being. (su=well or good and asti=to be. The ka is merely a suffix.)
Mesopotamian, Christian, Byzantium and Mayan art featured it, and the Navajo native tribe continue to use it, as those in Hinduism, Buddhism and Janism.
In Hinduism, it has darker connotations and is dedicated to the God, Kali. It also decorates doors, books, offerings and other sacred locations in Hindusim and Jainism. The latter faith use the four arms of the swastika of the four possible locations for rebirth, as well as with the God Ganesha. Buddhists view it as a sign of resignation. The Scandinavians (Thor's hammer, Mjolnir), Orientals (as explained already) and other ancient European and Middle-Eastern (Indians, for example) civilizations used it as well, seeing it on their travels.
The arms originally pointed left, but was tilted clockwise and reversed by the Nazis, perhaps in a mistake on their part. After all, the swastika faces left and the sauvastika represents bad luck or misfortune. Because of the ignorance on many people's part, however, the swastika has taken on such a meaning that in some places, the original swastika is now the old sauvistika, while the original sauvastika has taken the meaning of the original swastika.

the poll is a waste but this thread shouldnt be deleted cos´ of all the info about the swastika I didnt knew about

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Maybe NeoCverA can just edit the title of the thread?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
GoSpits said:
I see the poll!

The swastika has served many purposed before the Nazis ruined it forever.
A symbol of prosperity and good luck, it actually comes from a Sanskrit word (svastika) meaning, in simplified terms, to improve well-being. (su=well or good and asti=to be. The ka is merely a suffix.)
Mesopotamian, Christian, Byzantium and Mayan art featured it, and the Navajo native tribe continue to use it, as those in Hinduism, Buddhism and Janism.
In Hinduism, it has darker connotations and is dedicated to the God, Kali. It also decorates doors, books, offerings and other sacred locations in Hindusim and Jainism. The latter faith use the four arms of the swastika of the four possible locations for rebirth, as well as with the God Ganesha. Buddhists view it as a sign of resignation. The Scandinavians (Thor's hammer, Mjolnir), Orientals (as explained already) and other ancient European and Middle-Eastern (Indians, for example) civilizations used it as well, seeing it on their travels.
The arms originally pointed left, but was tilted clockwise and reversed by the Nazis, perhaps in a mistake on their part. After all, the swastika faces left and the sauvastika represents bad luck or misfortune. Because of the ignorance on many people's part, however, the swastika has taken on such a meaning that in some places, the original swastika is now the old sauvistika, while the original sauvastika has taken the meaning of the original swastika.

Yeah dude, I know about it's history, I just wanted to make sure that either someone else hadn't changed his avatar, or that he wanted to use it in the wrong context... :)

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
DARK ANDY said:
Yeah dude, I know about it's history, I just wanted to make sure that either someone else hadn't changed his avatar, or that he wanted to use it in the wrong context... :)

There are a lot of people, however, that are unfamiliar with what it really means and since I only seem to know crap like this (you know, the Jeopardy fountain of useless knowledge stuff :lol: ) I thought I'd share some tidbits in case others were offended by verythrax' avatar.
I didn't mean to slight you in any way!

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
That's why I aswered in a 'short' way... Now we have a whole thread about this subject... :oh_no:

:tickled:

and /me loves teh drama, too.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
A lot of time ago, I read a text that correlates the manji to "light", "what pass slowly", "what is long, almost permanent" (=eternity)

And the inverted symbol as "dark", "what have brevity (=temporary)"

Ironically, the Nazis had chosen the right symbol without knowing ;)

And this cross represent movement, around the same axis - the cicle of life and death, the eternity (wrongly interpreted as the re-incarnation circle) - if the cross spins, it would form a circle. The christian cross shares the same meaning in some way.

Excuse me if my bits of info sounds dumb, but I have difficult in explain these complicated things in other than my native language. I'm a philosophy/theology student.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Verythrax said:
A lot of time ago, I read a text that correlates the manji to "light", "what pass slowly", "what is long, almost permanent" (=eternity)

And the inverted symbol as "dark", "what have brevity (=temporary)"

Ironically, the Nazis had chosen the right symbol without knowing ;)

And this cross represent movement, around the same axis - the cicle of life and death, the eternity (wrongly interpreted as the re-incarnation circle) - if the cross spins, it would form a circle. The christian cross shares the same meaning in some way.

The swastika, in its many forms, has what seems to be an endless variety of meanings. To some, it's a sign of happiness, wealth and well-being and to others, it's destruction, chaos and hatred.
That's why I think this thread is a good idea, even if it started off as something entirely different. :)

verythrax, as we both mentioned, it is interesting how the Nazis chose the symbol that reflected exactly what they were, as opposed to their intent. Almost as if something steered them in that direction, since during their expansion, they likely would have come across both versions.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
GoSpits said:
verythrax, as we both mentioned, it is interesting how the Nazis chose the symbol that reflected exactly what they were, as opposed to their intent. Almost as if something steered them in that direction, since during their expansion, they likely would have come across both versions.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe that the Nazis had changed the swastika direction deliberatedly, like saying that all religion before them means nothing, that they are the only truth now.

And metaphysically speaking, there's a theory "an evil can't always hide his true form" - always a hint of his/their true nature will be given, so the righteous can recognize it and stay away of them ;)

Last edited:

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Verythrax said:
Personally, I'm inclined to believe that the Nazis had changed the swastika direction deliberatedly, like saying that all religion before them means nothing, that they are the only truth now.

And metaphysically speaking, there's a theory "an evil can't always hide his true form" - always a hint of his/their true nature will be given, so the righteous can recognize it and stay away of them ;)

That is an interesting theory. Perhaps they saw how lesser peoples viewed it and wanted to slap them all in their faces by twisting their beliefs to suit their own needs...

I found this link:
http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/15/index.html
There's some tidbits there, if anyone is interested.

Check out 34:15, 15:1 and 15:5, especially.

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I once read somewhere (I know that's vague) that Hitler chose the Swastika because in his opinion it represented a broken cross (2 of them actually) and he thought that a fitting sybol for the AntiChrist, or what was originally Nietche's Superman.

Curt

apostate
Verytrhax, aside from being buddhist and all...

You went from the Best AV to arguably the worst AV.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
The_Chosen_One said:
I once read somewhere (I know that's vague) that Hitler chose the Swastika because in his opinion it represented a broken cross (2 of them actually) and he thought that a fitting sybol for the AntiChrist, or what was originally Nietche's Superman.

You don't happen to remember or know where you read this, do you?
I am very fascinated in the subject of mythology and theology and their place in history, among my other many interests. :cool:

NeoCverA: despite it was not your intent, your thread is home to one of the more intellectual discussions on the forums. Congrats, so don't feel bad at all! :buttrock:

Last edited:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I like verythrax's theory ("Personally, I'm inclined to believe that the Nazis had changed the swastika direction deliberatedly, like saying that all religion before them means nothing, that they are the only truth now.")

Hitler created one of the biggest "replacement" religions with the rise of the Nazi party. Instead of praying to God, people prayed to the fuhrer. He saw himself as the new Luther (which is eerie given Luthers views on jews).