What has made you a grumpy gamer?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I think you also have to factor in age & responsibility! Most of us are old fuckers. The golden years of gaming was pretty much carefree...All i had to worry about was trying to get a passing grade end of the quarter & maybe get lucky from a low self esteem girl. Go home play games! Now we have relationships & jobs to worry about. I even have a teenage daughter.

Its the reason why i dont play RPG's anymore.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
Too many indie games.

I almost feel like the indie trend is one of the few rays of hope in today's Triple-A dominated gaming landscape. That's where the creativity is. Not to mention, some not half-bad shmups like Shutshimi have come out of it.

Then again, thanks to Steam Greenlight, Google Play (and the PlayStation Store is beginning to follow this trend), the crap gates have been opened and now any indie "developer" with a free copy of Unity and their mom's credit card to blow on assets from the Unity Store (which they will not even try to edit) is free to sell their totally awesome first attempt at game making into digital stores, then throw a temper tantrum when people start to say bad things about it.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i miss when i was addicted to RPG Maker 2003 trying to make a prequel to Final Fantasy VII

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Just not having enough time I suppose, makes it even worse when there's a game patch or system update required when you only had 30 min to an hour slated for game time.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
The death of gaming magazines. I wouldn't read them now anyway but for me I enjoyed the mags as much as the games back in the day.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Games that don't respect my time. FFXV was an offender, but Xenoblade Chronicles X was the absolute worst. Make you find x survey probes to unlock y mission to NO WAIT you have to go back and finish a, b, and c before that but you have to talk to six different NPCs first and then after all that you still have to grind like hell.

There are others, but those two come to mind.

Strikes me as arrogant when devs do that shit.

edit: Gravity Rush 2 was awful in that respect, I forgot it. The tutorials, the gate-opening missions, the mining, talking to random NPCs, so many useless, drawn-out activities that take for damn ever to get through. I played about 2 hours and hated the game so much for wasting SO MUCH of my time that I quit and will never go back.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I almost feel like the indie trend is one of the few rays of hope in today's Triple-A dominated gaming landscape

I feel the opposite. They get inspiration from older games and end up trying to imitate them, executing poorly and so you end up with a shell of a game that looks and has some gameplay elements of something from the past but lacks any kind of real content or 'soul'. As far as 2D indie games go anyways, 3D ones are just full of shoveware.

Way too fucking many games, I really hate Steam Greenlight also, so much junky bug ridden games.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I feel the opposite. They get inspiration from older games and end up trying to imitate them, executing poorly and so you end up with a shell of a game that looks and has some gameplay elements of something from the past but lacks any kind of real content or 'soul'. As far as 2D indie games go anyways, 3D ones are just full of shoveware.

Way too fucking many games, I really hate Steam Greenlight also, so much junky bug ridden games.

Totally.

"Smaman" has been fooled

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
The whole "Go pro or go home" mantra has made much of the fanbase extremely toxic though.

That's one of them for me. As guy who likes to play Street Fighter & Halo "recreationally" from time to time, going online to play these games can be super frustrating and the complete opposite of fun unless you're playing with some friends. The general sense of elitism is disgusting.

Is there some developer edict out there that says every single-player campaign has to be 40+ hours long? I'm married with a full time job, along with a wife & child. I don't have time for that shit. I'm perfectly ok with a 6-10 hour single-player experience. That alone can take me a month to clear through at the rate I get to play these days.

Updates. I can't count the number of times that I have an hour or so to play, turn on my system only to find the system needs an update, followed by a game patch/update. I basically turn the system on, update shit, and turn it off instead of actually playing anything.

"Season Passes": Don't sell me part of the game for $60, then charge me for the rest. Fuck off.

Annualized sequels. Did we really need a new Assassin's Creed game every year? Or a new COD, or Need for Speed? For fuck's sake, let the game marinate. Not everyone can afford or has time to play every game right when it comes out. Not only that, the game itself suffers, and they ultimately ruin a franchise by tiring out the fanbase.

There are so many more, I could go on for a while, but these are some of the things that irritate me.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
DLC, mandatory installs on fucking consoles, pay to play online, games being so online-dependent (a ton of the PS3/360 library is essentially worthless at this point), all that shit.

I hate getting a new game, coming home to play it, only to see my fucking console needs an update. 20 minutes later, I start the game and... huge ass install. Another 20-30 minutes later, the game starts up and... then the fucking game has an update. And then you finally get to play the game and there's a fucking hour tutorial.

You know what I like about my SEGA Genesis? I pop in a cart, turn it on, and it fucking plays the game. At the very worst I'm sitting through 30 seconds of various company logos and settings.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Games that aren't finished on release.
If I've gone out of my way to purchase your game for the full $60 or whatever you want to charge for it, I want it to at least be functional.
I get that bugs slip through, but it seems like any game that I've bought even relatively new in the last 5 years has been released half-finished, with major bugs, and even promised content cut out.

This goes doubly hard for content getting pulled to be slapped into DLC later.
I know not everything they discuss gets put into the game, but if it's advertised, it should be in the game from the get go.

aaaaaaaand then there's the whole bullshotting thing.
Ubisoft in particular is guilty of this.

and collectards.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Done being grumpy and with the whole "they don't make games the way they used to" shit. I have enough good games on my slate that can keep me occupied for the rest of my life, and great games still pop up. Always have, always will.

I just tend to pick up whatever suits my mood and enjoy it.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
Totally.

"Smaman" has been fooled

Uh, excuse me? I never said I liked ALL or even a majority of the indie scene. I even pointed out how there is a whole lot out there, many of which are of low quality. Lowering the barrier for entry has let in a lot more crap than gems, and I believe (especially in Greenlight's case) that that is a problem, not a blessing.

But dig through the crap and there are some gems out there that I'd say can hold their own, or even surpass today's "Triple-A" games. Binding of Isaac, Cave Story, Shutshimi, the Bit.Trip Series, Retro City Rampage, Undertale, World of Goo, Audiosurf, La Mulana, Axiom Verge, Freedom Planet, the Shantae series (which only some can be counted as "indie") just to name a handful from the top of my head are IMO all great games and are one of very few reasons I still keep up with modern consoles.

Do these examples I've mentioned get inspiration from older games? Absolutely. Do they take the place of said older games? Absolutely not. But these games start with that inspiration, and execute things differently enough and creatively enough that I feel they're worthwhile, not to mention, fun, experiences.

Sadly, these games are few and very far between in the indie scene.

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
You know what made me a grumpy gaymer
1.Death of the Arcades here in the states.
2.Death of the Original SNK company and the Neo Geo.
3.Death of the Dreamcast and Sega quitting the console market.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Let's Plays,basically there killing off independent reviewers.Modern games not being complete and content being hold out for dlc.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Games that don't respect my time. FFXV was an offender, but Xenoblade Chronicles X was the absolute worst. Make you find x survey probes to unlock y mission to NO WAIT you have to go back and finish a, b, and c before that but you have to talk to six different NPCs first and then after all that you still have to grind like hell.

There are others, but those two come to mind.

Strikes me as arrogant when devs do that shit.

Right on the money mate! Its the sheer TIME that they expect of you and you don't get anything for it. Might be great for teens half way through high school and nothing else to do but for any responsible adult with things to do it's unrealistic. Let's cut the filler (what they call content) and condense to something that can be enjoyed in under 8 hours.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Online multiplayer being in everything as though single player, or multiplayer split screen, is inferior.

Flippers who buy up entire stocks of things just to resell it for triple the cost (see nes mini)

Dlc. Just make a game complete from the get go.

Installing games. I want to just pop it in and play

Annual sports games. This has gone on since the 90s. But it's just tired re-hashes now. Maybe every 2 or 3 years would be better

First person shooter mania. Are we not over these yet?

Special edition craze. Every game has a price gouging special edition. Some that come with just a download code and not an actual game

Death of arcades.

Mobile games. They're all puzzles and full of in app purchases.

Celebrity filled movie games. I liked the last of us. But let's be honest. It was less of a game and more of an interactive movie.

Well known companies cutting loose good designers. Kojima, Suzuki, Inafune, Igarashi. Just shows the inefficiency of the Japanese games industry.

The inefficiency of the Japanese games industry. Why the fuck does it take them years to produce cutesy, anime, garbage? Shit final fantasy xv took 10 years to develop? The fuck is that shit. Give it to an American slave labor game producer it'd be done in two years, full of bugs, and need patches from day one. But it'd be out.

There's a lot of shit that goes on with games that makes me not want to play. And I haven't played anything in weeks. And I'm not missing it.

Also, game streaming. I really get wound up by people who make a living making videos of them playing games.

Last edited:

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
You know what made me a grumpy gaymer
1.Death of the Arcades here in the states.
2.Death of the Original SNK company and the Neo Geo.
3.Death of the Dreamcast and Sega quitting the console market.

I was really sad when I saw Sega quitting the console market :( Dreamcast was so damn good

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Since I'm always late to the party when it comes to new games, Street Fighter V was my first real shit experience with buying a new game at full retail price for all the reasons most of you guys mentioned. Paid full price for that game on release day and got fucked over like many others. On top of that, if I want extra stages and characters I have to pay for them. Fuck you Capcom.

Killer Instinct is a much better fighting game anyways.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Since I'm always late to the party when it comes to new games, Street Fighter V was my first real shit experience with buying a new game at full retail price for all the reasons most of you guys mentioned. Paid full price for that game on release day and got fucked over like many others. On top of that, if I want extra stages and characters I have to pay for them. Fuck you Capcom.

Killer Instinct is a much better fighting game anyways.

I really couldn't enjoy SFV season 1, so far SEason 2 is a lot better with the new changes. Are you still mad about No arcade mode?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Done being grumpy and with the whole "they don't make games the way they used to" shit. I have enough good games on my slate that can keep me occupied for the rest of my life, and great games still pop up. Always have, always will.

I just tend to pick up whatever suits my mood and enjoy it.

It's a good way to look at it, but criticism is helpful. Injustice is a good example. It sold a shit ton of games, yet the people actively playing it dropped off pretty fast. Even though you can see there is room for improvement Injustice 2 is playing relatively the same with a new bell and whistle that's not tourney legal, better animation (hope so on a next gen system), and new characters. Why? Because money talks. In this case why change? We got what we wanted.

If nobody bitches and people buy shit then you just get more of the same shit.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I really couldn't enjoy SFV season 1, so far SEason 2 is a lot better with the new changes. Are you still mad about No arcade mode?

Story Mode, Yes. I'm not a online gamer bro and I'm not alone, I said this before. Online gaming to me is a extra that I could live without. Every game I buy is with intentions of just playing the campaign, story mode, or whatever extras they add later on like extra dlc missions. I'm probably in the minority but I'm just old school like that.

I pretty much got tired of waiting for updates and having to pay extra for stages and characters just isn't happening.

Last edited: