What happened to the insert flood?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'll be doing a Top Players Golf insert in the next couple weeks. I got away from it, because it seemed like there were very few we didn't have. I'm "on call" i guess. :buttrock:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think some people are still working dilligently, just a little more for inserts they want personally and such. It is kinda tiring to keep doing stuff I'm sure with the same 5-10ish people giving feedback when many more suck up the bandwith ;)

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
A large part of the slow-down in insert production has to do with simple fact that there really arent many left to do (as pixel mentioned). Once I created the Insert Location Database (ILD), it allowed me to really see what had been accomplished by the new generation of insert creators (Big Bear, Blaine, Buttasuperb, Dave White, Laurie, Le Geek, Mike Yagami, Pixeljunkie, Kefka, Wizkid and myself).

Looking at the ILD, this is a list I compiled of inserts that HAD NOT been created at the time of its completion. Youll notice some of them have "Obscure Done" which means that I have fit the Japanese insert into shockbox template and will be available. The others that have "Done" are done and readily available now.

Code:
Top Player's Golf -Done
[B]Tecmo World Soccer '96[/B]
[B]Super Sidekicks (Tokuten Oh series)[/B]
[B]Soccer Brawl[/B]
[B]Ragnagard / Shinoken[/B]
Quiz Meitantei Neo & Geo -Obscure Done
Quiz King of Fighters -Obscure Done
Quiz Daisousa Sen -Obscure Done
[B]Pochi & Nyaa[/B]
Ninja Combat -Done
[B]Neo Geo Cup '98[/B]
Mahjong Minnasano Okagesamadesu -Obscure Done
Mahjong Kyoretsuden -Obscure Done
Mahjong Bakatonosama Manyuki -Obscure Done
[B]Legend of Success Joe / Ashita no Joe Densetsu
Karnov's Revenge / Fighters History Dynamite
Irritating Maze, The / Ultra Denryuu Iararabou[/B]
Football Frenzy -Done
Chibi Marukochan Deluxe Quiz -Obscure Done
[B]Bang Bead[/B] 

as you can see there are only a handfull of inserts that need to be done out of the 148 titles listed (which comes directly from the Master List). Ofcourse Big Bear still has big plans on his end. I personally would like to start getting into the Boxset stuff (havent really played with it much) and perhaps creating English-Japanese-Style inserts with less consistency and more towards the artsy side of things.

There is always improvement on current inserts as well. I began making inserts because there either weren't any available at the time or I simply didn't like the ones out there for my own collection. I figure a lot of the new guys did it for the same reasons. At any rate, things may have slowed down a bit but it will not be a 2+year hybernation as it was before. 2004 has been a great year for the MVS Shockbox scene.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I hope to work on a box-set idea one of these days. I am open to make any of the ones NeoCvera listed should anyone need them. Otherwise I will pobably only make them as I need them. Haven't been in a rush on any box sets mainly because I don't own entire sets of either KOF or MS. :crying: But I am working on that.

I'm not going anywhere, and will work on them either when I need one, or when someone asks for a particular title.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
My story:
I'm having some hardware probs. Everything went bad on me at once from my full page scanner to something internally like ram or power supply.

I am getting ready to purchase a good piece of physical artwork to scan from so NOT by a long shot am I done....
Yeah, I have my priorities in order :kekeke: <-WTF?
-BB

Last edited:

Sundance

Sho's Rival
pixeljunkie said:
I hope to work on a box-set idea one of these days. I am open to make any of the ones NeoCvera listed should anyone need them. Otherwise I will pobably only make them as I need them. Haven't been in a rush on any box sets mainly because I don't own entire sets of either KOF or MS. :crying: But I am working on that.

I'm not going anywhere, and will work on them either when I need one, or when someone asks for a particular title.

Don't forget about Samurai Showdown :smirk: I would like to see a 5 set for that and possibly a 6th insert for those lucky enough to get the SSVS.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Glad to hear that new boxed sets/Jap style (but in English) inserts are in the works... :D

I agree, this thing is freaky isn't it ---> :kekeke:

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I got tired of sitting in front of photoshop for days on end. I figure I'll crank out some more eventually but I'm taking a break at least until after the new year.

Mike

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
Michael Yagami said:
I got tired of sitting in front of photoshop for days on end. I figure I'll crank out some more eventually but I'm taking a break at least until after the new year.

Mike

Dude, if one man deserves a break it's you!

Cheers,
Ben

Suragu

Quiz Detective
I plan to "eventually" make a duel set of custom inserts for Pulstar/Blazing Star. When I say custom I mean I'll draw and color the covers from scratch- I really don't like the oiginal insert art for these games :crying: I also think I will go with an all white sort of theme.

I also want to make a custom Ganryu insert. Not because I love the game or anything, just because the production art for is sucked so hardcore and it would be easy to make a cool looking insert for it.

Wha'ts the hold up? I seem to be repeatedly watching my new ultimate edition DVD of Casshern :drool: :drool: :drool:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Suragu said:
I plan to "eventually" make a duel set of custom inserts for Pulstar/Blazing Star. When I say custom I mean I'll draw and color the covers from scratch- I really don't like the oiginal insert art for these games :crying: I also think I will go with an all white sort of theme.
I love the Blazing Star and Pulstar back covers BUT the JPN text and the cost makes obtaining a physical hi-res scan prohibitive so I'm going to be acquiring some physical art from NGF mags and see what I can do.
-BB

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
I love the Blazing Star and Pulstar back covers BUT the JPN text and the cost makes obtaining a physical hi-res scan prohibitive so I'm going to be acquiring some physical art from NGF mags and see what I can do.
-BB

Awesome...now I HAVE to buy Pulstar.

onefortheride

Dodgeball Yakuza
i still make them ... but only by request. i just recently made neo geo cup 98 for someone.

here is a smaller version of it.
neogeocup.jpg

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
I still have to make one for zedblade and some other games that i still need to get.

Im working on a new job now so if i get it... im going totally AES... which means ill have lots of cash to throw at some people with the games i want to buy

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
onefortheride said:
i still make them ... but only by request. i just recently made neo geo cup 98 for someone.

here is a smaller version of it.
neogeocup.jpg

What else have you made and why only do it privately? One thing I have learned about this insert thing: if one person likes something you have done, there will always be others that would equally enjoy it. With that in mind, why not put them up for the world?

onefortheride

Dodgeball Yakuza
the size of the inserts would eat my bandwidth or i would ... i've still been considering it. i've offered to help anyone who needed any (even did a few all black originals and reworks) ... but only had a few people ask. i've done probably 7-8 inserts ... not many really.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I think most of the gaps in the MVS insert world have been filled. However I'd still love to see what some of the guys here could do with a box set, say for either the KOF series, the MS series, or the Sam Sho series (or all of 'em :) ).