What going on with DS lite?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Yeah, DS-Lite shortage all around. Supposedly even DS phats are commanding some impressive figures.

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
It truly is amazing how Nintendo has just owned the handheld market. With the exception of Microsoft, is there any other company which could even front the cash to attempt to compete with them (No need to mention PSP as Sony has already had its ass handed to them)?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Eldios said:
It truly is amazing how Nintendo has just owned the handheld market. With the exception of Microsoft, is there any other company which could even front the cash to attempt to compete with them (No need to mention PSP as Sony has already had its ass handed to them)?

The PSP is a nice handheld, but most of its titles are NOT handheld material...

If they would have stuck with simple, fun games, I bet the PSP would have caught on a little better...

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
DS Lites have been in short supply since late November and are still hard to find. I sold my wifes old style DS on Ebay recently for $130. (I had picked up my wife and Son DS Lites prior to Thanksgiving.

It was only after I realized that they were still out almost everywhere to sell off the old style.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Gameoz said:
DS Lites have been in short supply since late November and are still hard to find. I sold my wifes old style DS on Ebay recently for $130. (I had picked up my wife and Son DS Lites prior to Thanksgiving.

It was only after I realized that they were still out almost everywhere to sell off the old style.

The old style DS's are going for high prices?! Aww man... I gave mine away as Christmas present because I figured they wouldn't. :D

If you think a DS is hard to find now, just wait 'til the new Pokemon games come out. It's gonna be crazy!

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
TonK said:

If they would have stuck with simple, fun games, I bet the PSP would have caught on a little better...

I agree. I happen to like the PSP quite a bit, but I guess I was trying to say that not even Sony had enough to knock Nintendo out of the handheld thrown. Basically what you are saying is that if the PSP had more games like the DS it would have caught on a little better right?

bugula

Member,
TonK said:

Exactly. They created PS2 games for the handheld which are in no way conducive to the platform. I was playing MGS the other day for it and while technically amazing, the controls and screen just cannot support the length of time needed to actually play it.

The DS games are set up perfectly for either extended play or quick pick-ups. even games as in-depth as Phoenix Wright allow you to get out of it as quickly as you need to.

LocoRoco and EEE are the only PSP games I find myself playing because they're geared towards the platform they were created for.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
bugula said:
Exactly. They created PS2 games for the handheld which are in no way conducive to the platform. I was playing MGS the other day for it and while technically amazing, the controls and screen just cannot support the length of time needed to actually play it.

The DS games are set up perfectly for either extended play or quick pick-ups. even games as in-depth as Phoenix Wright allow you to get out of it as quickly as you need to.

LocoRoco and EEE are the only PSP games I find myself playing because they're geared towards the platform they were created for.

Eldios, yeah... thats what I'm saying...

Bug, the only games I have for it are Lumines 1 and 2...

Theres still a few I will end up getting, but even the more "popular" titles are not interesting to me...

GTA?

MGS?

Not for a handheld...

Simple, fun games that are easy to get into and easy to quit and pick back up are what make the DS a much better choice...

I mean, you can get some form of every game availabe for the PSP on the PS2...

For less money and a better screen (your TV)

Nubcakes

Stakes Winner
Actually the pink ones are supposed to be the more rare ds lites (i guess because of lower production). But there is just high demand right now....if your trying to sell a ds lite...now would be the time.

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
Had gone to Target yesterday and No NDS, No Nintendo Wii, but I saw 4 PS3 on the shelf, Ironic how you couldn't get a PS3 around Christmas time but now they linger around like a bad odor.

Nubcakes

Stakes Winner
Yeah gamestop has a deal if you trade in your ps2 withmemory card and controller you get 100 bucks off of a PS3

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
TonK said:
Eldios, yeah... thats what I'm saying...

Bug, the only games I have for it are Lumines 1 and 2...

Theres still a few I will end up getting, but even the more "popular" titles are not interesting to me...

GTA?

MGS?

Not for a handheld...

Simple, fun games that are easy to get into and easy to quit and pick back up are what make the DS a much better choice...

I mean, you can get some form of every game availabe for the PSP on the PS2...

For less money and a better screen (your TV)

I actually like GTA VCS alot on PSP. The missions are not that long so you can easily play 10-15 minutes at a time, and it is pretty impressive for a handheld to have a city in your palm. You just have to give it a chance, it is not as involving as the GTAs on console.