What do you think is the WORST handheld ever released?

What do you think is the WORST handheld game system?

• GameBoy/GameBoy Color

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • GameBoy Advance

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • GameGear

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • GP32 (GamePark)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Tiger game.com

Votes: 218 45.8%
  • Atari Lynx (I/II)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • NGP/NGPC

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • NGage

Votes: 161 33.8%
  • Sega Nomad

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Turbo Express

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Virtual Boy

Votes: 49 10.3%
  • Wonderswan

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Neo Fan said:
Well based on the available chioces, I pick the Came.com.

But really, the worst hanheld of all time is the turd known as the Milton Bradley Microvision! Seriously, most of you are probably to young to remember, bit it had a one inch sreen and only a knob for a controller. Truly sucky.
Thats not fair!
What year was the Microvision? 1978 or 79? Somewhere around there anyway. Most people didn't even own a digital watch in 78!
The Microvision was as cutting edge as the GBASP is today.
Yeah, it looks shit now! But who'd want to play the Atari 2600 now either?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
voted for game.com might of voted for gameboy but you had gameboy color on the same line (I liked the color version :angry: )

Freelancer

Banned
GameGear.

Seriously, I hated that thing.
It was a portable Sega Master System and the screen/hardware were inferior to the older Atari Lynx which had debuted 2-3 years prior!

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Freelancer said:
GameGear.

Seriously, I hated that thing.
It was a portable Sega Master System and the screen/hardware were inferior to the older Atari Lynx which had debuted 2-3 years prior!

It still kicked gameboy's ass. My only beef with the Game Gear is the blurry sceen(but your right the Lynx was better if for no other reason than the huge ass screen).

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
yea but c'mon, all in all it always comes down to the tiger crap...
You couldn't pay me to take one.

Al least game gear had the master gear adapter, and when new never seemed too blurry, all the old ass ones flying around now are mostly WELL used, with plenty of screen deterioration....

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
D-Lite said:
I think this'll get some interesting discussion. What handheld do you think is the worst ever? I'd argue that anything without a decent playable game must top the chart, but that's just me. Most systems have at least one decent game.

Although I don't really consider it as a
'handheld' since I consider it a 'compact
system with big fucking goggles' the
worst handheld ever made is the VB.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
lynx! man that was such a crappy brick that i got 400 of them and built a garage with em.

but what is a game.com? can someone post a link showin me what it is?

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
thnx. Man, i feel sorry for anyone that actually bought one of those.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Haven't played the Game.com, but out of all the ones I've come into contact with, the N-gage insults my sensibilites as a gamer the MOST.
Absolutely lame, especially the ad campaign for it.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
I voted NGage, but after playing the GBA for 2 days I must say it is horrible. Not being able to see the screen is just pure crap and was stupid on Nintendo's part. Forced to get another SP.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I use to say the Atari Lynx until I played the N-Guage, as a gamer for so many years that thing is just a insult. Felt like hurling the damn ting against the wall

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Yung Burnout said:
I use to say the Atari Lynx until I played the N-Guage, as a gamer for so many years that thing is just a insult. Felt like hurling the damn ting against the wall

why does the n-gage look like a silver pasty? why do you look like such a twat when you actually phone someone on it? it looks like you have an oversized grey ear! the n-gage is one of the biggest failures since my home made coffee turned out like cocoa.

ivaner

n00b
i dont know why you guys hate on the n gage and gamecom they tried to inovate they had some good points and yes the game may have sucked but another man's garbage is another man's treasure.but i voted for ngage for its rediculous price just like the psp.

mrchafe

Mr. Big's Thug
Can't say I've played all of these handhelds, but here's my opinion (take with a vast number of pinches of salt):

Game Boy (Colour): Practically created the hand-held games market. May not have been first (wasn't the Lynx being developed before the Game Boy?), but certainly was the most popular handheld for the better part of the 90's, along with its colour sibling. Some top games, despite being a bit bulky, and battery life was as good as could be expected (if it can get through a week in France without needing new batteries, it's good enough)

Game Boy Advance (SP): The original model had a pretty awful screen, but the quality of the console was typically Nintendo. The SP, however, truly made the GBA into a great handheld, as its small form factor, backlight and rechargable battery have addressed just about every fault the original GBA had. Of course, it can't do full 3D, but its library is just HUGE.

Game Gear: Big and bulky, and ate its way through batteries, but for some reason I always did like the Game Gear. It had some great games, a lot ported from the Master System, and seemed like a reliably-built machine. The TV tuner was a gimmick, but reminds me of Sega at its height: always willing to do something just a wee bit differently from everyone else, despite it not really being a great idea.

GP32: Haven't used one, or even seen it in person, but it certainly looks a nice machine. If I'm right in thinking that its developers are actively encouraging fan-made titles, this could be a homebrewer's fantasy console: powerful and with developer's tools easily available. One to watch.

Game.com: Quite simply, an awful machine in every respect. Slow, underpowered, monochrome, and expensive if you wanted to use it for its advertised purpose (going online), and with a library of games that whilst on the surface seems attractive, shouldn't be spoken on in polite company.

Lynx (II): A machine that didn't get the attention it really deserved in the UK, and commands a good price second hand from its relative obscurity alone. There are some great games for it, although a good few mediocre, so really only for Atari fans or collectors. Still a nice machine though, and the Lynx II was a huge improvement.

NeoGeo Pocket (Colour): Love it. Love it as the handheld console I never knew I wanted. I remember seeing the NGPC in a local electronics shop and not really knowing what it was all about, but now I own one and don't regret a thing. Great little machine, great games, very nice battery life. Suit you, sir.

NGage (QD): The little machine that could..n't. For every bonus point (some nice games, powerful hardware, you can use it as a phone), there's a negative or two (deconstruction to change games, sidetalking, 'odd' controls). The QD has fixed many of the machine's problems, but it has a poor reputation to try and repair.

Sega Nomad: What's not to love about a portable Mega Drive? Apart from the size, the battery life.... well, the Nomad wasn't bad. It could plug into a TV, could have a second control pad plugged in, but wasn't really designed for portability.

Turbo Express: I've never used, hardly ever seen, but it looks a nice machine - but pretty fragile. I wouldn't want to drop one, and certainly wouldn't try repairing it. As far as playability goes, a portable TurboGraphix is never a bad thing.

Virtual Boy: Not a handheld; not a great console either. It was ambitious, by Nintendo's standards, but a bit too ambitious given the technology available. A lack of support sealed this machine's fate.

Wonderswan (and swan and on): You can tilt it, turn it, play Final Fantasy on it, and it's not a bad machine in its own right. Was unlikely to ever really unseat Nintendo from its dominance of the handheld market, but if any handheld were to have a stab at it, Bandai's wunderkind would have made a great winner.

Robert

20 Year Member
Those who put the GBA must be IP banned from here. Litterally!

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
This thread has rekindled some of my anger and outrage that the NGPC is dead, and SNK never had the chance to release an official backlit version. :blow_top:

As for the worst handheld, of the ones listed - Tiger Gamecom is the worst. It sucked for its time, it sucks now. It has and always will suck. N-Gage is mostly crap, but it has some decent qualities - the Gamecom had almost none.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
mrchafe wrote:

"Turbo Express: I've never used, hardly ever seen, but it looks a nice machine - but pretty fragile. I wouldn't want to drop one, and certainly wouldn't try repairing it. As far as playability goes, a portable TurboGraphix is never a bad thing."

Oh man!!! The Turbo Express was INCREDIBLE. I was very lucky to have owned one back in the day, maybe a year after it came out. Basically I was having a big surgery in the hospital, and was laid up for week. My parents took extreme pity on me, knowing I liked videogames a lot and had none to play, and bought me the Turbo cuz I always drooled over it in the store. :drool_2:

I got a TON of use and enjoyment from it. And it still mostly works, just the speaker died but headphones still work. Or was it other way around? I forget.

It was kind of like the PSP of its time because it played real console quality games on the go. Great stuff. Especially for shmup fans. And Bonk ruled too.

MJ1984

Banned
Game.com is definitely the worst. I have one sealed in it's blister wrap and havn't even opened it, most likely never will. And am I the only person who loved the size of the original Game Boy? All the handhelds are made for 5 year old hands nowadays. I wish the new handhelds were thicker so my hands wouldn't cramp up after 5 minutes!! Who cares if you can't chuck it in your pocket, you're going to scratch it all to hell and ruin the system if you do that anyway!

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Worst? Game.com. Simply the worst thing EVER released.

Best? PCE GT/Turbo Exppress. SFII on a handheld? Absolutely amazing. Only fault was the lack of battery backup and the 30 minutes battery life playing SFII with the sound turned up :(

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
NGAGE easily, though the TIGER GAMECON was horrid too. *Can't believe I never saw this thread (let alone this sector of the forums), but then I had collapsed this area sometime ago it seems, along with a section devoted to SHOOTERS! :eek:

GRIZZLY KING

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
I think it's the black & white Wonderswan, Have you ever tried playing Rockman & Forte on it?