What book(s) are you currently reading?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

I picked it up a while back though, and feel like the price has gone up. But maybe they had a sale going when I got it. They do this leatherbound line for a ton of different classics. They're pretty nice.
I have the Lovecraft bibliography from this series. The edge of the pages are gilt and the glitter comes off all over my hands.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Currently Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.
Little over 100 pages left.
Like most Russian lit it's good but can be hard to follow sometimes.
Probably fall back to H. P. Lovecraft like I normally do until I decide what comes next.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Just starting the mirror thief by martin seay. Seems pretty koll so far. Not a deep read, but seems fun.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Currently Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.
Little over 100 pages left.
Like most Russian lit it's good but can be hard to follow sometimes.
Probably fall back to H. P. Lovecraft like I normally do until I decide what comes next.

I read The Idiot a few years back and quite enjoyed it. I think it's probably a lighter read than Crime & Punishment though.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Reading The Starless Crown by James Rollins currently. First book of his I have read. It’s really good. This was his first foray into the fantasy genre and he is not disappointing so far.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So I think i mentioned it earlier that I was reading Perdido Street Station. Boys, if you like fantasy novels/pulp/sword and sorcery/etc this is a real banger. Can’t believe I’ve had the book 15+ years and only now getting to it. I’ll definitely be reading the other two books in the series.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So yesterday I helped out a friend who is basically a thrift/reseller.

He works with an estate sale business and gets rid of and resells books primarily. I helped him clean out all the books from a home yesterday. We sent most to Goodwill and some to the dump.

Felt bad about the books that got tossed but they were uniformly garbage. Shit action novels with Steven Seagal looking motherfuckers on them. One of the books had a quote on it that said the protagonist of the book made “Arnold Schwarzenegger looks like Little Lord Fauntleroy” lol and was attributed to the New York Times.

Really interesting to see someone’s life only through the lens of the books they owned. Though I do believe a lot of the good books were sold initially and we dealt with the dregs. Apparently there was a robust sci-fi section.

fake

15 Year Member
So I think i mentioned it earlier that I was reading Perdido Street Station. Boys, if you like fantasy novels/pulp/sword and sorcery/etc this is a real banger. Can’t believe I’ve had the book 15+ years and only now getting to it. I’ll definitely be reading the other two books in the series.
Have you read the City & the City? It's Philip K. Dick level, IMO.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I’ve been doing audio books in the car on my way back and forth commuting to Philadelphia. Since March I’ve gone through 12 books, great way to kill some time while sitting in traffic.

Just finished Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, then did Star Trek Ashes of Eden by William Shatner, read by William Shatner, almost all just about Captain Kirk (talk about self absorbed), but that was fun as it had special effects. I decided to do another Star Trek book currently that’s in a series called Captain to Captain. I get everything free from my Library through an app called Libby.

I’ve done other books by Brett Easton Ellis, Peter Mayle, I did a new Jeeves Book, Tom Wolfe.

The Tom Wolfe book I am Charlotte Simmons took place at a fictional University like 10 minutes from where I live where Widener University is.

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I’ve been doing audio books in the car on my way back and forth commuting to Philadelphia. Since March I’ve gone through 12 books, great way to kill some time while sitting in traffic.

Just finished Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, then did Star Trek Ashes of Eden by William Shatner, read by William Shatner, almost all just about Captain Kirk (talk about self absorbed), but that was fun as it had special effects. I decided to do another Star Trek book currently that’s in a series called Captain to Captain. I get everything free from my Library through an app called Libby.

I’ve done other books by Brett Easton Ellis, Peter Mayle, I did a new Jeeves Book, Tom Wolfe.

The Tom Wolfe book I am Charlotte Simmons took place at a fictional University like 10 minutes from where I live where Widener University is.
Widener university sounds like a good erotica novel name :keke:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Philip K. Dick wrote a short story titled "The Gun".
It's pretty awesome.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Someone gave me a copy of Wolfe's The Bonfire of the Vanities. Not usually what I read but I really enjoyed that book and am glad I received it as a gift.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Widener university sounds like a good erotica novel name :keke:

Lol

It’s a small private college in one of the worst if not the worst town in the state (Chester), although around the campus it’s not too bad. It has a law school in Delaware, we have so many major Nationally Ranked Universities in the area (I just counted 10 research Universities alone within half an hour drive and a bunch of snooty liberal arts schools) it kind of gets overshadowed despite being a good school.

It was originally Pennsylvania Military College, I have immediate family (my Father) and friends that have graduated there after it became Widener, I think my Father started when it was PMC.

The family Widener was one of the “Philadelphia Old Money” families.

The woman it is named after (Harvard’s library is also named after her as well) was a Titanic survivor, her husband and son perished, and they lived in this gulided age mansion, Lynnewood Hall, that’s been abandoned for years, and they just announced this weekend that money is being raised to restore.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Someone gave me a copy of Wolfe's The Bonfire of the Vanities. Not usually what I read but I really enjoyed that book and am glad I received it as a gift.

The movie is regarded as a disaster if you haven’t seen it, Bruce Willis and Tom Hanks are in it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Have you read the City & the City? It's Philip K. Dick level, IMO.

I ended up reading the other two novels in the Bas Lag setting and I just finished The City and the City.

Man, Mieville is just too good. The worlds he build just feel so damn real, characters unto themselves.

Thanks for the recommendation, really enjoyed it.

I’m on now to reading some trashy post apocalyptic fantasy, but I think I need to read some good science fiction soon.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
i dipped my toes in 40k Lore, and then this happens. Now I'm onto the novels and short stories...
i generally prefer the deep dives on YT, but occasionally I'll grab a novel if the topic grabs my attention.

It's fascinating how far they've taken the lore. From beginnings as flavor text to a literal library. There are 54 novels during the time of the Horus Heresy(civil war) alone.

cypher-lord-of-the-fallen-9781804072974_lg.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I really enjoy the Horus Heresy novels though I’ve only read maybe 10 or so. At this point I probably prefer 30K to 40K.

I’d recommend anyone interested to read the first three novels, then you can basically jump around as long as you have a general understanding of the broader timeline.

Thousands Sons is probably my favorite though stuff like Mechanicus and Titandeath are just so cool too. I usually just pick something in 30K I want to know more about and pick up the inevitable book featuring it, lol.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I usually just pick something in 30K I want to know more about and pick up the inevitable book featuring it, lol.

That's what I'm doing as well. I have no desire to learn what every faction was doing during the HH. I did the Blood Angels stuff for awhile based on their characters. Infinite and Divine is a 10/10. Belisarius Cawl had some great moments.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I only manage to read like 20-30 pages any given day, but I still like to read. This is my current book, a history of the Apple II. It's very good so far with the more highly technical details separated/annotated nicely within the history.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
337406715_895303928420855_1503471215802917361_n.jpg

I'm reading these two novels at the moment which I got for birthday in July, they're based on Mike Singleton's famous roleplaying games that came out for various 8bit micro computers in the 80s. I probably would not have bought them myself but I must say they're really cool, the fact that I'm quite familiar with the games also adds to it but that's not a prerequisite, if you like Tolkien-style high-fantasy novels, give these a try.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I only manage to read like 20-30 pages any given day, but I still like to read. This is my current book, a history of the Apple II. It's very good so far with the more highly technical details separated/annotated nicely within the history.

Nice, awhile back I got this book about a single line of C64 code, lol:

IMG_3003.jpeg

Pretty cool book about a stupid line of code and its intersection in art and coding.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah it’s a neat book, basically a series of academic style essays.

I still dick around my my two C64s from time to time though mostly using them as synthesizers.