What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Why is Streets of Rage 3 not as revered as Streets of Rage 2? And let's put aside any issues from the localization of Streets of Rage 3 - let's talk Bare Knuckle 2 vs 3.

Shouldn't 3 have everything that made 2 great and more?

I only briefly played a rom of SOR3 many many years ago.

I didn't like the music or the graphics- felt like it was a stepdown from SOR2. I did like they added the ability to run and the branching paths, as well as some characters had special weapon animations. But I hate how they made weapons have a health bar. They even added secret characters, but I still like SOR2 over 3.

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I played through Violent Storm by feeding it to the end just to see if the pcb will fail in the sound department. Great game even though I haven't understood its mechanics yet. Big characters, fast gameplay and vibrant color palette usage are some of the pros

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I played through Violent Storm by feeding it to the end just to see if the pcb will fail in the sound department. Great game even though I haven't understood its mechanics yet. Big characters, fast gameplay and vibrant color palette usage are some of the pros

lol

Did you buy Violent Storm without ever playing it? "No idea what the fuck this is, but everyone wants it so guess I'll buy it."

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire

Yeah, Violent Storm is great! I enjoy the lighthearted approach it has.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
A mess and a nightmare to play indicates not having fun with the game, doesnt it?

Your cute accusations are without a fundament. You seem to take everything here quite personal and accuse everybody of things you do yourself. See the World Heroes Perfect thread.

Although I understand and enjoy the concept of a 1cc you are destroying your own claim here. Read what you wrote.
And again, I play games on 1cc as well, mostly shmups.

I described earlier where I see the art in the game and it is not the gameplay, although I enjoy it.
Also you destroy your claim by showing you made a 1cc.

Having fun with a game is enjoying the pure nature of a game. A game is meant to be played. Playing should be fun, things every child understands and does. Again, I called it a work of art and I told you why. Since we all agreed art, fun and one persons thoughts on things are subjective. Again you destroy your first sentence with the second.

I cannot see anything I wrote about collectors in this thread. In another thread I just said that games are meant to be played. When you got offended I tried to get calm you down with humour. Sorry for hurting your feelings, of course you can do whatever you want with your games, but hating games and playing them like a nightmare seems not so fine for me. Having games and not playing them seems to defy the essence of them. This is my opinion and I just shared it.

Finally if you are not having fun with games thats fine and your problem. Playing them with friends, enjoying them and having fun is mine.

Streets of Rage 2 is the shit! Maybe my favourite Beat em Up as well. And the music is a piece of art ;)

1. Hardly. A mess of a game can range anywhere from boring to thrilling. A nightmare of a game can evoke extreme, even masochistic excitement.

2. Everybody? I believe your only reference point is how I interact with you. I can assure you that I don't criticize others of things I do myself. The strong sarcasm in the WHP thread flew far over your head.

3. My claim is destroyed because I understand this game well enough to 1cc it? What does this have to do with your warped perspective on what constitutes as art?

4. The concept of "fun" is too subjective to be the pure nature. The closest thing to an objective pure nature is to win or lose. You have the right to claim you have "fun" improperly playing a game you don't understand though.

You see the art in the game but not the gameplay? So don't call the GAME a work of art. Again, my competence in this game has no baring on your inability to understand the concept of art IN a game vs art BEING a game.

5. You do not understand what the essence of a game is.

The WHP thread can be summed up like so

1. I made fun of your dramatic word choice (English may not be your first language, which would be rather unfair)
2. You made claims of how people on this forum don't play their games and
began to extol the virtues of playing games.
3. I doubted your convictions in playing video games, and sarcastically stated that games aren't meant to be played, but to be only collected.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Good or bad, games are still art. What makes video games unique is that it is a combination of many different arts: Sprites/3D Models,Music,Programming (some of the feats developers made on limited hardware is amazing), and gameplay/level design.

A work of art on the other hand is a entirely different thing, one that is obviously subjective. Good game design is not easy imo. Gameplay should always come before sprites/artwork and music. With this in mind, those things certainly do add to the charm and polished feel of a game.The bottom line is that you can't cover a turd in sprinkles and think it won't still smell like shit.

Last edited:

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I've been playing a bit of Final Fight CD. I love the redbook audio in this game.

MissFaith

New Challenger
I've been playing a bit of Final Fight CD. I love the redbook audio in this game.

I think Final Fight CD is one of the best ports ever. I play it a lot with my brother when he comes round. We both reminisce that game in the arcades. Then we think about all the other cool beat em ups from that time. Simpsons was awesome if you ever tried that one. And Knights of the Round got a decent SNES port as well. But nothing beats Final Fight.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

It is pretty amazing what they did with the Sega CD all things considered. It is certainly my favorite port of the game if you don't consider the arcade version just because of that redbook audio. With this in mind, here are a few things I don't like

*Item/food locations are changed

*Enemy AI sometimes gets stuck on invisible walls. You won't be using your reverse engineered AI shenanigans on Sodom/Abigail, they have leveled up.

*Not being able to mash attack for rapid fire due to the inherent nature of the port, it is much slower than arcade making infinites are impossible (maybe turbo can get around this ). Also not good when attacking mobs of enemies as you want to mash as fast as possible or else a straggler can sometimes find an opening due to hitstun.

*Enemy damage can be extremely high, i've gotten hit by a Axl/Poison attack and bam 90% health

*Spawns are mostly the same, but the limit is 4 per screen iirc compared to whatever the arcade sends at you. Spawns sometimes also delay, which can throw you off. Mini hit squad since you only fight four people at once.

*hitboxes feel different but that might just be me

*can't really skip parts so you will need to be a man and fight everything, no running away like a girly man.

Final Fight One on the GBA has the damage problem even worse, the enemies are on steroids.

In any case these have just been my experiences. I like to call this version Final Fight Remix.

Last edited:

MissFaith

New Challenger
Final Fight One on the GBA has the damage problem even worse, the enemies are on steroids.

In any case, I like to call this version Final Fight Remix.

I like the idea of it being a remix version, that makes sense. The added load time due to CD can spoil the action as well and agree with the random damage issue.

The GBA version is cool with the alpha characters and the rapid fire unlockables. Round four's flames have proper shit hit detection as well.

Sodom got his name due to all the arse buggery he dishes out, bloody sodomite.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I like the idea of it being a remix version, that makes sense. The added load time due to CD can spoil the action as well and agree with the random damage issue.

The GBA version is cool with the alpha characters and the rapid fire unlockables. Round four's flames have proper shit hit detection as well.

Sodom got his name due to all the arse buggery he dishes out, bloody sodomite.

Final Fight One on GBA is really dope, kinda like an enhanced SNES port. Of the ports, Sega CD is my favorite if nothing else but the music.

Played some Mutation Nation, nothing too technical about this one but its pretty fun. Not going to try for a 1cc as some of these bosses are just brutal.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Played some Mutation Nation, nothing too technical about this one but its pretty fun. Not going to try for a 1cc as some of these bosses are just brutal.

The bosses aren't too bad with the right approach.

IDK if this will help but I posted a few notes/strats awhile back.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...th-Mutation-Nation!&highlight=mutation+nation

BOSSES

Stage 1 boss
Specials needed : None

Always quick combo this boss from behind after he swings his fists twice. Dance around him as he moves, and frequently change planes as necessary. When he jumps, you should jump, so his earthquake landing effect doesn't stun you.

Stage 2 boss.
Specials needed : (at least) 3 B specials.

Stay far away from the lady as she spits out bugs. Stay off of the plane of where her bugs are landing. Use a B special from a distance. This should create enough pushback that will allow her to give birth to more bugs off screen. On the appropriate plane, B special again. When she's still spawning bugs, B special again. At this point she may jump toward you. As she lands, walk or jump toward the opposite plan she is on. As she gives birth to more bugs, quick combo her from behind.

Stage 3 boss
Specials needed: None

Dance around this guy, and jump from plane to plane. After he extends his arm twice, quick combo him from behind. Repeat. After he receives enough damage, his mechanical face will be exposed and he will perform an arm extend attack or maybe a foot sweep. Move away. If you are in mid combo while his face becomes exposed, end the combo and quickly plane jump to avoid his arm extend attack. Proceed to quick combo from behind until he's dead.

Stage 4 boss
Specials needed : None

Never allow your character's sprite to go too far to the left or right of the screen. Don't get cornered. Move around the screen from plane to plane as the boss crawls around. Make sure your characters sprite is never face to face with the boss at a close proximity. Always be prepared for this bosses running attack. By creating enough distance and varying the planes you're placed on will minimize the chance of getting hit by this attack.

Allow the boss to climb on the ceiling. Place your character on the northern or southern most plane as needed. The boss will then drop down bombs that will target you and create pillars on fire on the ground. Move away from where the bombs land, and away from the shadow on the boss hanging from the ceiling. He will drop down. The pillars of fire will start to flicker, enabling you to pass through them. Pass through the flame pillars as they flicker, and quick combo the boss from behind ONLY when he swings his claws twice. This process must be repeated until death. Beware, once this boss receives enough damage, his mechanical face will be exposed, and he may attack. If his face is exposed mid combo, stop the combo and quickly switch planes.

Stage 5 boss
Specials needed : none

As soon as you drop down from the ceiling, quick combo the boss in the white suit. His clone in the brown suit will stand to the left with a ring of clouds surrounding him. Eventually the brown clone will target you. His clouds will hurt you, and can hit you on multiple planes, i.e. (southern most and middle OR northern most and middle. Walk around the screen to avoid the clouds, and never remain in a corner. Try to wait for the white boss to float to the southern most plane. Quick combo him from the front, delaying your taps to inflict damage as quickly as possible. This boss gives me the most trouble.

Stage 6 boss rush

Part 1: Specials needed (at least) 1 D special.

This boss fight throws the bosses from stage 1 and 3 at you at once. As soon as the fight begins, use 1 D tornado special (which should have been obtained in the fourth quarter of stage 5). After the enemies have been knocked down, grab the B special on the center-right part of the stage. Apply the previously recommended tactics for both respective bosses. This can be a bit tricky. Try to focus on killing one boss (it doesn't matter which one) as quick as possible (delaying taps in the quick combo).

Part 2: Specials needed (at least) 3 B specials.

Stage 2 bug lady again. Apply the same strategy from the previous stage 2 encounter. Don't bother grabbing the A special on the ground (even if you think you need the health). Chances are, after you're done using the 3 B specials, the A icon will have disappeared.

Part 3: Specials needed A (optional).

This is the stage 4 boss. Try to grab the A special from the ground as quickly and safely as possible. It's important to grab this for health. You can use the special on this boss when he is not hanging on the ceiling, but it's pretty weak. Apply the same tactics illustrated previously.

Part 4: Specials needed None

Stage 5 boss again. Don't be tempted to grab the A special on the ground. Apply the same tactic as illustrated previously.

Part 5: Specials needed None

Line yourself up with this boss face to face at a distance. He'll transform into a monster. Stand where you are and tap A at a medium and steady pace. Don't stop, don't move. This boss will keep walking into your punch, back off to swing his arms twice and breath fire, and will continue walking into your punches. You might have carpal tunnel after the fight, but this strategy is fool proof.

Last edited:

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Why is Streets of Rage 3 not as revered as Streets of Rage 2?

For gameplay the only aspect of 3 I find inferior to 2 is breakable weapons, which is made worse by the fact they included weapon specials that you want to use but can't use often enough.

Biggest reason I prefer 2 to 3 is the change from a gritty, urban criminal atmosphere to the goofy light-hearted sci-fi setting. Reminds me too much of The Peace Keepers and that ain't a good thing. It's like comparing the straight-faced setting of Final Fight to the cartoonish corny shit in FF2 and FF3.

It is pretty amazing what they did with the Sega CD all things considered. It is certainly my favorite port of the game if you don't consider the arcade version just because of that redbook audio.

I am really surprised they managed to fit so much into the Mega CD's meager RAM. So many CD games end up completely gimped after being shoehorned to fit into what space is there. I know FF ain't the most graphically intense game, but fitting every single character sprite + the entire library of sound samples + background graphics in one go without mid-level loading is amazing. I wish that much care went into the Sengoku port.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Spin. Leap grapples are fun.

Absolutely. Best of all they're very useful.

Spin seems like the best character in the game for sure. I'm only experienced with her and Ace.

I don't have much experience with Speed or Big-O (although he seems good).

I should mention though, I play New, not OG Zero Team.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
Yes. I should've specified New Zero Team. I have used Big-O some and enjoy playing with him as well. Trying for a 1cc though Ifeel more comfortable with Spin. BTW I have not 1cc'ed it yet and still need a good bit of practice.

beecee

n00b
been playing Fatal Fury 2, only as its the only game i currently have for my Neo Geo, but trying to remember those special moves!!!
great getting back into arcade be'em ups again after many years away.

Flagshiphero

Crazed MVS Addict
been playing Fatal Fury 2, only as its the only game i currently have for my Neo Geo, but trying to remember those special moves!!!
great getting back into arcade be'em ups again after many years away.

d00d, FF2 aint no beat em up. We're talking final fight genre here ;)

I've been playing Super Double Dragon, JPN version. Some things they left out of the EUR and US versions. Great music, love the combos.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
d00d, FF2 aint no beat em up. We're talking final fight genre here ;)

:lolz:

beat em ups is what we call fighters here in the uk. games like final fight are known as side scrolling beat em ups.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
:lolz:

beat em ups is what we call fighters here in the uk. games like final fight are known as side scrolling beat em ups.

Right, but how long does it take to glance at this thread to realize that fighting games aren't being discussed?

It's like a mark of the noob. Or of the spammer, or the US member who has been here for like 15 years and still posts fighting games in this thread despite members pointing out to him that this isn't a fighting game thread.

I mean, it's not like they're gonna read anything.