What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

geise

Mickey's Coach
I remember renting Brawl Brothers and hating the maze part I believe it was. The Japanese version for some reason was easier for me to get through. I think part of my charm with Rival Turf was my brother and I had only that beat em up for quite a while on SNES so we had a reason to try and enjoy it.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I remember renting Brawl Brothers and hating the maze part I believe it was. The Japanese version for some reason was easier for me to get through.

It's because there's no maze in Rushing Beat Ran.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Personally prefer Super Double Dragon that's been overclocked. Once the game speed is faster it pretty deep and hard as hell.

DD Advance just has so many combo options and a robust moveset that makes it hard for me to put it down for too long. Although a lot of fun, it really is a shame that Super DD is so unfinished. In many ways DD Advance really does feel like they picked up where they left off in Super DD with regard to the moveset and combat. I'll give overclocked Super DD a shot though. Thanks!

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I forgot how much I love Violent Storm.

Holy crap, how did I not know about this game until recently!?! Wow. Everything I love in a beat'em up. Music is AWESOME, but even more importantly, lots of options for moves. That is one thing that has always frustrated me no end with Neo beat'em ups; the lack of techniques available. Games with such great potential, like Mutation Nation, just lose so many points with such a limited move set. Violent Storm is crazy with all the moves you have!

When I first saw it (YouTube), right away I thought that it was using the Turtles engine. I scrolled back to the beginning of the video. Sure enough, Konami. But damn, talk about overclocked. The player character control is fast. It makes TMNT look like it's standing still.

Discovering this game, and a number of other beat'em ups that were released at the dawning of the age of SF2 and were therefore ignored, makes me want to build a raspberry pi/arcade cabinet setup.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

I'm gunna get you eventually.
Everybody wanna knock Gildo down.
I'll go straight to Sheena
and I'll be there yes I will.

This world is very difficult
but i've got nothing to lose, now.
There's no defeat. You'd sooner die;
challenge the begining of the end.

'Till I rescue Sheena
I'm never gunna stop.
Believe my power;
Now I spend my time fighting all around.

I'm a tough guy; do it man.
You'd think you can beat us
We got the look! Oh so fine!
Just wait, I'll get even with you.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
Played through Ninja Warriors Again on SFC for the first time in over a year. Got to the end but couldn't 1CC it. I choked.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
When I get back home Friday, I plan on playing some WH2J.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yes, Violent Storm is by far Konami's best offering within the genre.

When I get back home Friday, I plan on playing some WH2J.

I have sad news folks. Gamefan has never took notice of what beat 'em ups you've been playing.

If he had, well, then, he'd finally stop...you know..

geise

Mickey's Coach
I have to agree with Violent Storm. It is a very fun to play game. The amount of hidden point items is crazy plus the music is insanely awesome! I also still don't know how some of the items inside objects are triggered. When I got the game I was surprised that when I continued the score didn't reset. I didn't see anything about that in the dipswitch settings. I guess the only way for hi-score is to just clear the game and post a full run. I still have yet to remember what moves gives the most points. I do know the "pigskin" footballs give a good amount of points.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
DD Advance just has so many combo options and a robust moveset that makes it hard for me to put it down for too long. Although a lot of fun, it really is a shame that Super DD is so unfinished. In many ways DD Advance really does feel like they picked up where they left off in Super DD with regard to the moveset and combat. I'll give overclocked Super DD a shot though. Thanks!

Actually I finally got around to playing Double Dragon Advance on my bootleg xbox. It's a bit of a challenge to figure out how everything works. I kept trying to do the "Knee to the moon" technique but couldn't figure it out. all the way. I need to spend more time on it but I prefer the graphics of Double Dragon Advance, but still prefer the play control of Overclocked Super Double Dragon. Though I need more time before I can 100% be sure about that.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I guess the only way for hi-score is to just clear the game and post a full run.

Should go without saying. The game also loops, and that second loop...*shudders*

I still have yet to remember what moves gives the most points.

There could be other ways, but Wade's uppercut :up: + button 1 yields an insane amount of points. If you approach the game by squeezing as many wade uppers as safely possible, you'll receive an extend on practically every stage.

This sounds hard, but it's a relatively safe approach if seeking a scrubby by-the-skin-of-your-teeth 1-ALL.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Played through Ninja Warriors Again on SFC for the first time in over a year. Got to the end but couldn't 1CC it. I choked.

Yeees! Keep at it man! Ninja Warriors Again isn't terribly hard on max difficulty and is definitely one of my top 2 favorite snes games of all time. The other is X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse. Both games are not terribly deep, but the OST's and choice of characters always makes a 1cc run feel fresh and rewarding in both these games.

Actually I finally got around to playing Double Dragon Advance on my bootleg xbox. It's a bit of a challenge to figure out how everything works. I kept trying to do the "Knee to the moon" technique but couldn't figure it out. all the way. I need to spend more time on it but I prefer the graphics of Double Dragon Advance, but still prefer the play control of Overclocked Super Double Dragon. Though I need more time before I can 100% be sure about that.

:buttrock: Awesome! The knee is done by canceling the crouch animation into a kick (Press A+B simultaneously, then press B to knee fools sky high). For funsies, try the following:

Stun an enemy with K
Press A+B then A for Hyper Uppercut, then immediately press A+B then B to Hyper Knee the poor bastard before he hits the ground from the uppercut
Follow with ground stomp (A+B when close with opponent on ground)
Hold down and keep pressing A to go into ground pummel

DDAdvance is basically permanently glued into a gba micro I have lol

I also tried some overclocked Super DD. Was pretty awesome! Thank you for the recommend!

It's blurry AF but here's a combo video showcasing some nice DDA bread and butter juggles and nonsense:

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
Should go without saying. The game also loops, and that second loop...*shudders*

There could be other ways, but Wade's uppercut :up: + button 1 yields an insane amount of points. If you approach the game by squeezing as many wade uppers as safely possible, you'll receive an extend on practically every stage.

This sounds hard, but it's a relatively safe approach if seeking a scrubby by-the-skin-of-your-teeth 1-ALL.
I have yet to clear Violent Storm since I don't continue. I also noticed my dips were set to not loop so I wouldn't know about the 2nd loop even if i beat it haha.
Yeah that uppercut I did know gave a good amount of points. I use it a lot on the first stage boss. It makes him drop his sack on his head and grabbing it gives a lot of points. I don't know of any other bosses that have point things like that though. I am sure there are others.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
After listening to HG101's latest Top 47,858 Games Of All Time Podcast I decided to play through Streets of Rage 2... again. And guess what? It's still excellent.

I really want to try and track down SoR:Remake again. I remember playing one of the close-to-final betas and liked what I saw. I got excited when the full game came out but Sega killed it before I had a chance to download it.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
After listening to HG101's latest Top 47,858 Games Of All Time Podcast I decided to play through Streets of Rage 2... again. And guess what? It's still excellent.

I really want to try and track down SoR:Remake again. I remember playing one of the close-to-final betas and liked what I saw. I got excited when the full game came out but Sega killed it before I had a chance to download it.

That's sad that a lame podcast you're promoting was necessary for you to play the game.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
So got into a discussion with a friend playing Final Fight to which version is the best. He loves the music in the Sega CD version. When I played the Sega CD, SNES, and Arcade versions I noticed the Sega CD had the most Input Delay of the 3 with the SNES being the 2nd worse. Plus the graphics are ranked the same. I never noticed before how rough the Sega CD looks on a HDTV. I was very suprised at the comparasion.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
That's sad that a lame podcast you're promoting was necessary for you to play the game.

...I'm sure I would've played it again eventually, regardless. It just brought it to mind again. You know how it goes... maybe.

Would you prefer I remove the mention of it? Would that de-trigger you?

...'Cause I won't, unless it's against some forum rules. I happen to enjoy it and thought others especially here would, too.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
...I'm sure I would've played it again eventually, regardless. It just brought it to mind again. You know how it goes... maybe.

Would you prefer I remove the mention of it? Would that de-trigger you?

...'Cause I won't, unless it's against some forum rules. I happen to enjoy it and thought others especially here would, too.

I don't know if the current people there doing this podcast know they're stuff or not, but reading hardcoregaming101's articles throughout the years
has brought me to the conclusion that they have relatively low standards and expectations as far as educating their user base.

Most of the articles contain basic (and easily researchable) facts presented with a novice-like, superficial, half-baked mentality. Naturally, I'm going to be leery on the idea of a podcast.

SOR2 already gets more attention than it needs. Making a post about "playing through" it due to a podcast comes off like "Guess where I bought my coca-cola? Wall-mart! www.walmart.com " So what, big deal?

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
thats my boyfriend.you should just get on your knees and admire senpai tbh

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
I don't know if the current people there doing this podcast know they're stuff or not, but reading hardcoregaming101's articles throughout the years
has brought me to the conclusion that they have relatively low standards and expectations as far as educating their user base.

Most of the articles contain basic (and easily researchable) facts presented with a novice-like, superficial, half-baked mentality. Naturally, I'm going to be leery on the idea of a podcast.

SOR2 already gets more attention than it needs. Making a post about "playing through" it due to a podcast comes off like "Guess where I bought my coca-cola? Wall-mart! www.walmart.com " So what, big deal?

Fair enough. Their articles have improved over the years IMO, and they've gone back and updated/rewritten some of their older ones. There's still some on the site though that are almost unreadably cringey, using old info, or too much "personal flair" that I can totally see where you're coming from.

I just thought it'd be a little more substantive a post than just saying, "I played SOR2. Yay."