What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
The unreleased Mega Drive Ninja Gaiden Beta. Rather than the typical action/platformer, Sega (having licensed the property from Tecmo) decided to make this one a beat-em-up, with mixed results. Some of the levels seem impossible to complete, as they don't "end" after you defeat all of the enemies and won't scroll anymore, but you can skip stages by pausing the game and pressing a button, so, it's not a game breaker. I didn't play all the way through it, but, I've been on a Ninja Gaiden binge lately, and when I heard about it, I wanted to check it out.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The unreleased Mega Drive Ninja Gaiden Beta. Rather than the typical action/platformer, Sega (having licensed the property from Tecmo) decided to make this one a beat-em-up, with mixed results. Some of the levels seem impossible to complete, as they don't "end" after you defeat all of the enemies and won't scroll anymore, but you can skip stages by pausing the game and pressing a button, so, it's not a game breaker. I didn't play all the way through it, but, I've been on a Ninja Gaiden binge lately, and when I heard about it, I wanted to check it out.

its based on the arcade version

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
You know it's really cool to say, but which one? All three versions (Arcade, SNES, Reshelled) offer something the other two don't. Even though Reshelled is not well received, I do find it interesting and fun with the 3d stage effect when playing multiplayer. It seems to give the players more room to move rather then stepping all over each other when the number of players goes above two. The other two versions I shouldn't have to explain.

I enjoyed the TiT remake on 360. It's no longer available for purchase, but I had a great time playing with buddies via online co-op.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I never got to played Sengoku 3 up until now so I have been on a binge with that game and a little bit of Robo Army. Robo Army has some werid hit detection but I am still loving that game.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My favorite thing in Robo Army is that Transformers-esque car robot boss.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
3D Streets of Rage
River City Ransom on the 3DS
Formation Z on Streetpass games for 3DS

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
I never got to played Sengoku 3 up until now so I have been on a binge with that game and a little bit of Robo Army. Robo Army has some werid hit detection but I am still loving that game.

Snap! Hitting Sengoku 3 here as well. Best beat em up on Neo, though still doesn't match up to the mighty Streets of Rage 2 imo.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Did I miss something?

Haha technically yes. You posted multiple times on the same page in the thread where is came from.

It's not fair comparing anything to Streets of Rage. That series of games is the pinnacle of the genre, there will never be a game in the genre that is better. There are very few brawlers that can compete with it (Final Fight, Cadillacs & dinosaurs, The punisher, Vendetta come to mind), but not one is better than SoR. IMHO, Sengoku 3 on the Neo is the best brawler you can get, followed by Sengoku 2. Burning Fight and Sengoku 1 are also in the genre, but not that great.

That's quite a bold (and frequently made) statement.

Yeah, it's not fair comparing anything to it because so few console exclusive beat 'em ups came after.

It's apples and oranges comparing the SOR games to Capcom's arcade offerings.

I get that people love SOR2, but you can't go long in a conversation about the genre without someone saying "SOR2 is the best of all time!!!".

Comparing a modern arcade offering like Sengoku 3 (an evolutionary step in brawlers as EG stated), to a bar setting console title like SOR2 is apples and oranges. I don't know, it's like if someone posts "Thunderforce III is the pinnacle of the genre!! Everything that came after can't touch it!" Every time there is a shooting game discussion. That doesn't ever happen though.

Last edited:

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Oh cool. You were just being an asshole. I was worried I'd missed something there :)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't think ASID was trying to be an ass, he's just very much into brawlers, I think that's his main genre, guy can play some business. The thing is a lot of people swear (myself included) to SOR2, I mean that's the game that pretty much thought me to be patient with brawlers as Final Fight was just straight up kicking my ass as a kid in the arcade. First time I played SOR2 was at a friend's house we beat it together using the credits/continues, we were kids, the music was awesome, Enigma was a big deal back then, anyone remembers Enigma? Mea Culpa...anyway, great game no doubt but nowdays I feel SOR2 is too easy, kinda like Final Fight 2 SNES exclusive, total SOR2 direction as far as being a friendly brawler.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Oh cool. You were just being an asshole. I was worried I'd missed something there :)

Yes, and you'll continue to miss something regardless of the style and frequency of delivery.

I took the time to have a serious and respectful discussion. You were given nothing but insightful, valid points.

You've confirmed that you're an idiot (I kind of figured you were already, posting style, sigs...)

Last edited:

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
You were given nothing but insightful, valid points.

No, what I got was a pointless, unprovoked jab because I'd posted a few times in another thread, which you then tried to pretty up with the waffle you posted afterwards.
But keep polishing that halo by all means.

Ooh, we're editing for impact! Cool:
You've confirmed that you're an idiot (I kind of figured you were already, posting style,
What, you mean generally happy, positive and upbeat instead of being a pedantic prick?

What, like Neo Geo stuff? You know where you are, right?

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
No, what I got was a pointless, unprovoked jab because I'd posted a few times in another thread, which you then tried to pretty up with the waffle you posted afterwards.
But keep polishing that halo by all means.

That "waffle" is probably a facet of video game reality you're afraid to take a bite of.

I understand.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
That "waffle" is probably a facet of video game reality you're afraid to take a bite of.

I understand.

Yeah, keep avoiding the fact that you started this shit.
You tucked into me without cause and got called on it.
Now dry those eyes and carry on being awesome.

SAKAMOSTRO

Rugal's Thug
River City Ransom and Super Dodgeball (if it counts as a beat-em-up) on my NES. Love those two.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah, keep avoiding the fact that you started this shit.
You tucked into me without cause and got called on it.
Now dry those eyes and carry on being awesome.

You asked what you missed, and I gave you a literal response within this context. When I went searching for my post in the thread regarding the SOR2 stuff, I didn't even know you posted in it. It's funny/ironic to me that someone used the words "what did I miss", when they happened to be present in the very thread containing what they "missed". There's, really nothing more to it.

You're too sensitive/reading into things. If I feel like being a douchebag, I usually go for a more direct approach.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
River City Ransom and Super Dodgeball (if it counts as a beat-em-up) on my NES. Love those two.

I wouldn't call Super Dodgeball a brawler by any means but it's a hell of a game...actually both super dodge balls are equally awesome...

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I don't think ASID was trying to be an ass, he's just very much into brawlers, I think that's his main genre, guy can play some business. The thing is a lot of people swear (myself included) to SOR2, I mean that's the game that pretty much thought me to be patient with brawlers as Final Fight was just straight up kicking my ass as a kid in the arcade. First time I played SOR2 was at a friend's house we beat it together using the credits/continues, we were kids, the music was awesome, Enigma was a big deal back then, anyone remembers Enigma? Mea Culpa...anyway, great game no doubt but nowdays I feel SOR2 is too easy, kinda like Final Fight 2 SNES exclusive, total SOR2 direction as far as being a friendly brawler.

I love SOR2 like the next Beat em up fan but I wouldn't put it as the highest on my list of favorite brawlers. Capcom's Alien Vs Predator and Konami's X-Men, have a larger impact on me than SOR2. However, if we are just comparing home console beat em ups then SOR2 kind of trashes all of the competition. I always got a kick out of thinking Skate would be screaming "OPP!" as he does his special attack.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love SOR2 like the next Beat em up fan but I wouldn't put it as the highest on my list of favorite brawlers. Capcom's Alien Vs Predator and Konami's X-Men, have a larger impact on me than SOR2. However, if we are just comparing home console beat em ups then SOR2 kind of trashes all of the competition. I always got a kick out of thinking Skate would be screaming "OPP!" as he does his special attack.
Before Street Fighter II my favorite game was X-Men, play it now and realize the rudimentary laws of konami brawlers which leave quite empty 'cause the nostalgia factor is strong in me. Of course AvP is amazing and one of the best for sure. I am not saying in any way of form that SOR2 is the greatest ever, no way, love it dearly but there are plenty of brawlers I prefer over SOR2 and to me a good brawler is a flexible one, like Punisher being ahead of its time, like Gladiator being a crowd control eye opener, like the KOV series teaching you the importance of Juggles and screen management, there's so many brawlers that I love and each for different reasons, to me a great brawler is that game that leaves you with something new to try in other brawlers, run of the mill brawlers are fun too though, sorta like testing grounds for all the knowledge acquired.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Has there ever been a good 3D brawler?
I know it was tried with Fighting Force but that game was vomit worthy...