What are you listening to at the moment?

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Been starting a nostalgia Playlist and revisiting stuff I listened to in middle or early high school recently. A lot of this sfuff this week as i make my spotify throwback playlist:
Anal Cunt
Weezer (first two albums only)
Hum
Millencolin
Guano Apes
Presidents of the United States of America
Title song to Pete and Pete

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Been starting a nostalgia Playlist and revisiting stuff I listened to in middle or early high school recently. A lot of this sfuff this week as i make my spotify throwback playlist:
Anal Cunt
Weezer (first two albums only)
Hum
Millencolin
Guano Apes
Presidents of the United States of America
Title song to Pete and Pete
I wish we could go back to that kind of music in terms of popularity.

Sorry going to nerd out on Pete and Pete
Hey Sandy by Polaris (the Pete and Pete Song) has an interesting story as it was performed by the band Miracle Legion (Mark Malcahy) under a different name as they had label/name disputes at the time. It still is an interesting snapshot of mid 90s indie pop at the time. As Polaris they’ve issued a few new songs recently.

I’ve heard Season 3 on DVD was produced (season 1 and 2 had physical releases) but never released as there were tie ups with the music from the show.

I saw Hum live at the Trocadero in Philly in the 90s. I had a friend who was a big fan. The opening act was a band called For Squirrels who we had see at a smaller indie rock club called JC Dobbs a few weeks before. They were great and smashed their instruments at the end (never saw that live before). Unfortunately half the band died in a car accident in Florida two weeks later after they played the College Music Journal Showcase. Anyway Hum was the mid act and they were amazing as well. By the time The Verve the main act came on they weren’t able to compete with the awesomeness of what we already saw, my friend and I cut out of their set mid performance.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I often reference that Polaris song as the perfect song in the perfect period. I don't know how many thousands of times I've heard it having loved the show as a kid and putting the song on playlists through the years but somehow it never feels old and is the perfect time capsule of nostalgia for me.

That Era of indie before everything started feeling like musical cosplay was great, bands like hum and built to spill were always on rotation even in the punk houses I lived in where if it wasn't punk we didn't listen.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I often reference that Polaris song as the perfect song in the perfect period. I don't know how many thousands of times I've heard it having loved the show as a kid and putting the song on playlists through the years but somehow it never feels old and is the perfect time capsule of nostalgia for me.

That Era of indie before everything started feeling like musical cosplay was great, bands like hum and built to spill were always on rotation even in the punk houses I lived in where if it wasn't punk we didn't listen.
The Apples and three Stephen Merritt (6ths, Gothic Archie’s, Magnetic Fields) bands on the soundtrack to Pete and Pete too. Get Lost is my favorite Magnetic Fields album and many tracks from that were used on Pete and Pete, “why I cry” was used prominently.

Plus you had Iggy Pop and Michael Stipe on the show too.

Such an amazing show and like you said a great nostalgic snapshot of the time.

One of these days I’m going to watch Snow Day as that was written with the intention of being a Pete and Pete movie.

Last edited:

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I recently downloaded the AI upscale of the whole series, there's some areas where you can see doubling which is funky but it's decent as a way to rewatch it on current screens.