What are you listening to at the moment?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Lauer - Mirrors

Hehe, feels a bit like Heaven 17 are risen from the dead. Hell, why not? Lauer & Jasnau, those two are made for each other.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
That was pretty awesome. Norma Jean have some very decent songs within their repertoire, albeit slightly derivative. But they have a knack for writing well rounded songs

Yeah, I only learned about this hidden track last week. I'd hesitate to call them derivative. They definitely had a major influence from Botch. But Botch was pretty inapproachable, IMO. Don't get me wrong; I love Botch, but their guitar tones and vocals are less heavy yet more abrasive than those of Norma Jean. I think Norma Jean took a Botch style formula, smoothed it out and polished it, and brought it to a (slightly) wider audience. O' God, the Aftermath; Redeemer, and The Anti-Mother are all fantastic in my book. After that, they kind of lost their edge and haven't really recovered. Also, I don't think they get enough credit for popularizing the "djent" tone. They hit their guitars so hard that they got that "boink" sound, even by only tuning down a half step instead of playing 7- or 8-string guitars.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Yeah, I only learned about this hidden track last week. I'd hesitate to call them derivative. They definitely had a major influence from Botch. But Botch was pretty inapproachable, IMO. Don't get me wrong; I love Botch, but their guitar tones and vocals are less heavy yet more abrasive than those of Norma Jean. I think Norma Jean took a Botch style formula, smoothed it out and polished it, and brought it to a (slightly) wider audience. O' God, the Aftermath; Redeemer, and The Anti-Mother are all fantastic in my book. After that, they kind of lost their edge and haven't really recovered. Also, I don't think they get enough credit for popularizing the "djent" tone. They hit their guitars so hard that they got that "boink" sound, even by only tuning down a half step instead of playing 7- or 8-string guitars.
Good little write up. It's akin to opening one's ears and then leading them towards a more refined path of enlightenment. The only downside is when you find harder bands that are long broken up but that's life.

Did any of you get into the Chariot? I was hooked on Long Live for a lengthy amount of time, and got to see them once here opening up with a few others for Underoath. Not quite sure of the lineage of the band, but I did hear that their vocalist was previously in Norma Jean but didn't follow up with checking the history.

fake

15 Year Member
Good little write up. It's akin to opening one's ears and then leading them towards a more refined path of enlightenment. The only downside is when you find harder bands that are long broken up but that's life.

Did any of you get into the Chariot? I was hooked on Long Live for a lengthy amount of time, and got to see them once here opening up with a few others for Underoath. Not quite sure of the lineage of the band, but I did hear that their vocalist was previously in Norma Jean but didn't follow up with checking the history.

Yup, the singer of the Chariot founded Norma Jean. They were originally called Luti-Kriss, which was his graffiti name. As they became popular along the east coast, the rapper Ludacris became popular, which caused some confused because they were both from Atlanta. Luti-Kriss asked to change their name but their label said no way. When they changed labels they switched their name to Norma Jean and released one more full length. After that, the singer left and formed The Chariot, and Corey Brandon joined and wrote O' God, the Aftermath.

I have their (I think) first album, Everything Alive, Everything Is Breathing, Nothing Is Dead and it's pretty good. And I saw them open for Every Time I Die during The Chariot's final tour. I'm not a huge fan (partly because of the Christian themes in the lyrics which Norma Jean typically avoided) but they're decent enough to listen to once in a while. What I really love about that first album is that it was recorded 100% live and they didn't add any tracking like layered guitars afterwards.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

Damn you know your stuff. Maybe I discovered them late on and I really, really like some of their songs, they are terrific in how creative they are, I even like the songs where they sound peculiarly similar to Deftones.
But maybe mistakenly I put them in the post hardcore segment and I am still enamored with Will Haven (El Diablo and beyond) and to some extent Glassjaw.
I'm sure I pegged them together wrongly though. So many sub genres emerged and what have you.

fake

15 Year Member
I even like the songs where they sound peculiarly similar to Deftones.

Your ears aren't deceiving you:

I don't think they'd be out of place with Will Haven or Glassjaw. I think that would be a great line-up actually. Both Norma Jean and GJ can span the spectrum from light to heavy, so it works out.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Your ears aren't deceiving you:

I don't think they'd be out of place with Will Haven or Glassjaw. I think that would be a great line-up actually. Both Norma Jean and GJ can span the spectrum from light to heavy, so it works out.

Ha! Didn't know this. Chino does the rounds and then some.

Speaking of which, this is awesome and should be in the official neo-geo.com soundtrack