What arcade stick do you own?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
982.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
At minimum one to fill every hole in our lives...

Do you prefer a big American bat top or do you prefer Japanese balls? There's no right answer, everyone swings a different way.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
why do you goobs need so many sticks
I kind of want to make/wire my own for AES/MVS. It’s a matter of finding a solid stick to gut. I wanted to use the SF4 stick but those kinda dried up.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I kind of want to make/wire my own for AES/MVS. It’s a matter of finding a solid stick to gut. I wanted to use the SF4 stick but those kinda dried up.
I've got some gutted Madcatz SF4 CE stick shells from old projects if you want one.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Do you prefer a big American bat top or do you prefer Japanese balls? There's no right answer, everyone swings a different way.
Not so serious answer, $20 is $20.
Actual answer, bat top but balltop is fine.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Sell them when you're done, repeat. None of my wiring looks as clean as yours, but I don't mind when I don't see it anyway.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I appreciate the kind words 🙏 I didn't used to care how the wires looked at all, even if you could see them. I've apparently goobed my last goob.

Maybe I should try to do that. Thing with Sigma and AFS sticks specifically, is that they're already pretty expensive on their own. Add a Brook board, proper controls and time spent wiring, and the result is even less cost effective, and I'm not very confident that there are people out there willing to spend that kind of coin on a custom stick, you know?

On bat tops, I put this together for a friend last week:
Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 12.32.58 PM.png

When I finished it up, I played a credit of Mushi Futari on it, and I was surprised how much I liked it. I realized that I never tried bat tops because of the association with American sticks, which fuckin' suck. But they suck because of the massive resistance they have, not because of the bat top. I'm gonna try a bat in earnest soon.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I hinted at raffling off a custom joystick in the SOTM thread for this month. This is the one I had in mind. The stick cost ¥330, but so damn much work drilling, sanding, cutting, crimping, soldering, etc… Certainly not my cleanest work, but it’s hard to want to just give it away all the same.

IMG_0885.jpeg
IMG_0886.jpeg
IMG_0883.jpeg
IMG_0887.jpeg

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
My brother is a part of this project https://gp2040-ce.info/ and I recently am using a board with the firmware. It works on PS5 now and it's really great. I'd recommend looking into it as an alternative to Brooks boards for modding.

Joystick Pic 1.JPG

Joystick Pic 2.JPG
Joystick Pic 3.jpg
My next project is a Mad Catz TE2 that I am gutting and putting a Universal Brooks Fighting board into. I've already changed the stick out with a new JLX and all sanwa buttons.

As a side note - for my leverless stuff I've gone through several different kinds of buttons (Qanba and Seimitsu) and found the Sanwa buttons are my preference for everything.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I hinted at raffling off a custom joystick in the SOTM thread for this month. This is the one I had in mind. The stick cost ¥330, but so damn much work drilling, sanding, cutting, crimping, soldering, etc… Certainly not my cleanest work, but it’s hard to want to just give it away all the same.

Ajax - I really like the mod you did. I love these old VF4 controllers they are SOOO cool. I used to have one of those, cool to see these again.

Ajax

15 Year Member
My brother is a part of this project https://gp2040-ce.info/ and I recently am using a board with the firmware. It works on PS5 now and it's really great. I'd recommend looking into it as an alternative to Brooks boards for modding.

View attachment 70089

My next project is a Mad Catz TE2 that I am gutting and putting a Universal Brooks Fighting board into. I've already changed the stick out with a new JLX and all sanwa buttons.

As a side note - for my leverless stuff I've gone through several different kinds of buttons (Qanba and Seimitsu) and found the Sanwa buttons are my preference for everything.
Dude, no way... I put a pico with the gp2040 firmware on it in that VF4 stick I just posted! It's a really awesome solution. This is going to eat Brook's lunch 👀

Ajax

15 Year Member
Got a bunch of sticks in from Japan. Shipping them shits over here was not cheap 🫠🫠🫠