What anime are you watching?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Just barely noticed that SyFy's been showing Star Blazers the past few weeks on Thursday nights along with the now-completed Chrono Crusade. Monster will begin next week. Star Blazers at 10 pm ET (2 episodes) followed by Monster at 11 pm ET (2 episodes).

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just barely noticed that SyFy's been showing Star Blazers the past few weeks on Thursday nights
A classic that somehow manages to be great even with the butchering edits and censoring.

Has the live action movie hit dvd/blu-ray yet? Still dying to see that.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Has the live action movie hit dvd/blu-ray yet? Still dying to see that.
No NISHIZAKI means no YAMATO, as far as the spirit and design of the "classic" goes. I'd rather see a terrible re-envisionment of Space Battleship YAMATO done by Yoshinobu NISHIZAKI than something genius somehow powered by poseur-fodder Leiji MATSUMOTO ideas. Kinda like avoiding watching Lupin III done or inspired by Hayao MIYAZAKI.

Dammit. I knew I should have just continued to avoid this thread.
icon91.gif

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
No NISHIZAKI means no YAMATO, as far as the spirit and design of the "classic" goes. I'd rather see a terrible re-envisionment of Space Battleship YAMATO done by Yoshinobu NISHIZAKI than something genius somehow powered by poseur-fodder Leiji MATSUMOTO ideas.
What in THE hell are you talking about, bo'?

Nishizaki was involved in the live action movie and was the driving force behind it. And Matsumoto a poseur? Are you sure you didn't transpose the names from the way you meant to talk about them? Because I don't think I've ever heard Matsumoto referred to as a poseur before, and now that I have, I do not like it one bit. Not one bit.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Are you sure you didn't transpose the names from the way you meant to talk about them?
Nah. I guess I've just been slamming too much beer during my search for Odin, my love. :glee: I just get crazy-emotional whenever YAMATO and NISHIZAKI come-up 'cause I love the guy so damned much. I still don't like thinking that he spent most of his creative life making and re-making the same damned thing, but hey, geniuses tend to... well, hell, they do weird things and NISHIZAKI was certainly at the top of that list.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That Yamato Rebirth/Resurrection thing was freaking terrible, though. What a chunk of shit that was. Just thinking about it gives me a headache right behind the eyes. Whoever "wrote" it deserves to be run over by a bus for plagiarizing the motherloving Robotech OVA, and I'd like to punch the character designer in the throat.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Sorry, I mean Claymore, was pretty into it just an episode in but episode 5 was the one that hooked me.

Claymore's so good I've just bought the first 17 volumes of the manga. Looking forward to reading beyond the anime (anime was based on the first 11 volumes) :lol:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Katsuhiro Otomo's Flower

Jnf8R.jpg

iJ85Y.jpg

kyteA.jpg

wOg7v.jpg

gtP3S.jpg

XC6y6.jpg

Definite Moebius vibe from this.

Curt

apostate
Watching Eve No Jikan lately. Really enjoying it. (Cyborgs in near future society) Really nice presentation. Simple, but really enjoyable. I especially like the credits.

It's a six episode Series, with a movie (based on the episodes etc)

Here's a taste: (delicious) I like certain aspects of it more than Ghost in the Shell.

Just finished up Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22. I thought they were absolutely incredible. I hadn't seen the series so it was completely fresh to me. I love the Rei!

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I finished watching Gundam Seed Destiny and now watching Death Note. Pretty good

Death_Note_Wallpaper_V2_28213.jpg

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I've been watching Pani Poni Dash.

Notice Sgt. Hartman tripping Pyle (Fatbody) over from Full Metal Jacket lol!

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Deadman Wonderland, it's like HBO's Oz meets Battle Royale

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Death Note was fantastic - recommended! Not sure what to watch next, maybe a few anime movies? Ones bought recently: Ghost in the Shell 2, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Origin Spirits Of The Past, Strait Jacket.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
The most recent anime I've watched was Angel Beats. Incredibly sad anime, but not as big a mind-fuck as I was expecting. I'd definitely recommend it. I'm considering cosplaying TK from the series. Of course, his Engrish alone is pretty overpowered, so I'm gonna have to work on that.

neo-geo-mvs - I loved Death Note as well! Even if it's a bit overrated, it's still a damn good anime. Very clever, even if Light is a world class dick. It's interesting though that at every anime convention I'll see at least 2 or 3 L's running around.

This weekend I hope to watch some old school anime with my lady. A friend gave me some burned dvd's of various goodies like Robot Carnival. We both grew up on that shit and love it.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
neo-geo-mvs - I loved Death Note as well! Even if it's a bit overrated, it's still a damn good anime. Very clever, even if Light is a world class dick. It's interesting though that at every anime convention I'll see at least 2 or 3 L's running around.

I missed all the hype so was pleasantly suprised with it. Thought it was very well planned out. Didn't like how it ended tho' as I didn't think Light would have been out smarted!

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I always get to a certain point and drop Macross for some reason. I hope this time I'll finally finish the series.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I always get to a certain point and drop Macross for some reason. I hope this time I'll finally finish the series.
The original? Haven't you seen it at some point? I have to admit that as much as I liked it in the mid-1980s, it's kind of hard to get in the mood to watch it again for me, too. I liked Frontier, though. But even with that, I almost had to force myself to get through the final few episodes.

bokmeow

The original? Haven't you seen it at some point? I have to admit that as much as I liked it in the mid-1980s, it's kind of hard to get in the mood to watch it again for me, too. I liked Frontier, though. But even with that, I almost had to force myself to get through the final few episodes.

Yup, the original. I've had the AnimEigo 1-9 boxset forever, but I always stop at Volume 6, I attribute it to my propensity to work better on deadlines. Since there is no due date, I'm always like, "I'll come around to watching it… later." And then later turns into months, sometimes years.

I'm going to be good and watch at least 2, 3 episodes a night until I finish the whole O.G.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yu Yu Hakusho's on blu-ray now and I'm tempted. $22 at amazon. Loved the show when I was 14 but dunno what I'd think now...eh.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Yu Yu Hakusho's on blu-ray now and I'm tempted. $22 at amazon. Loved the show when I was 14 but dunno what I'd think now...eh.
I went back and watched it and while the first season seemed to drag, the Dark Tournament was still a good thing to watch even after all this time.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Making my way through My-HiME, Tekkaman Blade, and soon (when Tekkaman Blade is done) I'll work through Robotech, got the full series box set, so that'll take a while.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yup, the original. I've had the AnimEigo 1-9 boxset forever, but I always stop at Volume 6, I attribute it to my propensity to work better on deadlines. Since there is no due date, I'm always like, "I'll come around to watching it… later." And then later turns into months, sometimes years.

I'm going to be good and watch at least 2, 3 episodes a night until I finish the whole O.G.
I know the feeling, and it doesn't help any that you already know at least vaguely everything that's going to happen. Some shows I can rewatch every so often and some shows I can't, or would at least really have to struggle with, and I think Macross would be a struggle for me now. Which doesn't mean it's not good, because it is. It's a classic. But I dunno... I'm kind of done with it, I think. I wouldn't mind watching the movie again, though. In and out in 2 hours -- done.

bokmeow

Watched 3 episodes of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt for a reassessment… still not my cuppa.

Tons of scatological jokes and raunchy adult humor, but the writing is just underwhelmingly tired.
No doubt the whole "event A leads to event B and bring about a satisfying conclusion C" 10-12 minute episodic setup is reassuring to fans of the show. Absolutely OK to jump in any time, no need to invest a whole season's commitment for payout.
One looks forward to each Ghost's explosion as one would to the defeat of a Sentai show's monster.

But damned if the music isn't catchy. Would like to pick up the CD sometime.