What anime are you watching?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Been watching Jojo for the last couple weeks before I go to bed. I'm up to the fight with Vanilla Ice.

I had seen a handful of episodes and read a few chapters of the manga over the years but this is the first time I've ever properly sat down and really watched it. It's certainly interesting and definitely creative. It's cliche as fuck and straight up bonkers but it's also self aware which makes it all work. It's interesting to watch it evolve the first couple story arc before stands are introduced were very strange and now with Stardust Crusaders it's changed quite a bit just over this arc. It's gotten a lot more comedic which I like. Some really nice production value as well.

So far Joseph is has been my favorite character. Him yelling "Oh my god!" never gets old.
You should definitely read at least the first three on some free manga website. You could go through it all on a day off.

good Jojo thread: https://neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/jojos-bizarre-adventure-anime-thread.224552/

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Diamond is Unbreakable arc was pretty bad, it was really tough to get through at times.

I'm a couple episodes into Golden Wind and it seems quite a bit better but man the character designs and costumes are getting into twink clowns on acid levels of ridiculousness.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You're such a colossal douche.

Finished all of the Jojo anime. Stone Ocean was bonkers, I enjoyed about half of it. I probably would have enjoyed a lot more but it goes so far beyond any semblance of logic in the last 3rd that I just kind of didn't even care anymore. But fuck me the constant yelling was what really got me, it really tried my patience.

Stardust Crusaders has been far and away the best story arc for me. The other ones just don't have that feeling of adventure or a solid core of likable characters.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
If you're into dubs here's some new samples from the Dirty Pair Kickstarter, valid until Oct. 8th.

Dirty Pair EP 15 Dub (Password: DirtyPairExtraGarlic)
vimeo.com/866907443

Dirty Pair EP 24 Dub (Password: DirtyPairJakeBird)
vimeo.com/866912709

---

Also R.I.P. Rightstuf
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ts-to-crunchyroll-store-on-october-10/.202711

Crunchyroll revealed on Friday that Right Stuf is phasing out its store and migrating its products to the Crunchyroll Store on October 10. Customers can still find all the products that were previously listed on Right Stuf.

The Crunchyroll Store will have a 2023 holiday sale similar to the one Right Stuf regularly holds. However, there will be "some changes to how the sale operates." The company did not reveal the changes for the "Crunchyroll Holiday Sale."

Crunchyroll added that it is still planning to grow its eCommerce offerings.

F.A.Q.

What will happen to my Right Stuf order history?
Anyone with a United States or Canadian Right Stuf account will be able to see their Right Stuf orders placed from January 1, 2020, through October 9, 2023, in their Crunchyroll order history. You can opt out of migrating your order history by emailing legal@rightstuf.com. No order history originating outside of the U.S. and Canada will be migrated to Crunchyroll.

Will my Right Stuf account transition to a Crunchyroll account?
Any United States or Canadian Right Stuf account with at least one order since January 1, 2020, will be transitioned to a new Crunchyroll account on October 25, 2023. No accounts originating outside of the U.S. and Canada will be migrated to Crunchyroll. If you would prefer to not have your account information moved to the Crunchyroll Store, please email legal@rightstuf.com by October 25, 2023. After October 25, 2023, your account will be automatically transferred to Crunchyroll, but you can opt out at any time here.

What happens to my Right Stuf open orders and pre-orders? Will they now be fulfilled by Crunchyroll?
At this time, your Right Stuf open orders and pre-orders will still be processed by Right Stuf.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
If you're into dubs here's some new samples from the Dirty Pair Kickstarter, valid until Oct. 8th.

Dirty Pair EP 15 Dub (Password: DirtyPairExtraGarlic)
vimeo.com/866907443

Dirty Pair EP 24 Dub (Password: DirtyPairJakeBird)
vimeo.com/866912709

---

Also R.I.P. Rightstuf
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ts-to-crunchyroll-store-on-october-10/.202711

Crunchyroll revealed on Friday that Right Stuf is phasing out its store and migrating its products to the Crunchyroll Store on October 10. Customers can still find all the products that were previously listed on Right Stuf.

The Crunchyroll Store will have a 2023 holiday sale similar to the one Right Stuf regularly holds. However, there will be "some changes to how the sale operates." The company did not reveal the changes for the "Crunchyroll Holiday Sale."

Crunchyroll added that it is still planning to grow its eCommerce offerings.

F.A.Q.

What will happen to my Right Stuf order history?
Anyone with a United States or Canadian Right Stuf account will be able to see their Right Stuf orders placed from January 1, 2020, through October 9, 2023, in their Crunchyroll order history. You can opt out of migrating your order history by emailing legal@rightstuf.com. No order history originating outside of the U.S. and Canada will be migrated to Crunchyroll.

Will my Right Stuf account transition to a Crunchyroll account?
Any United States or Canadian Right Stuf account with at least one order since January 1, 2020, will be transitioned to a new Crunchyroll account on October 25, 2023. No accounts originating outside of the U.S. and Canada will be migrated to Crunchyroll. If you would prefer to not have your account information moved to the Crunchyroll Store, please email legal@rightstuf.com by October 25, 2023. After October 25, 2023, your account will be automatically transferred to Crunchyroll, but you can opt out at any time here.

What happens to my Right Stuf open orders and pre-orders? Will they now be fulfilled by Crunchyroll?
At this time, your Right Stuf open orders and pre-orders will still be processed by Right Stuf.
This is terrible i been buying from rightstuf since the 90's :mad:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
This is terrible i been buying from rightstuf since the 90's :mad:
Yeah same but it was probably inevitable, physical media sales are so small nowadays and CR is an anime juggernaut. At least they're still going to carry the same products. Plus it's not like RS were the ones actually doing all the work to license, remaster, translate etc. that was Discotek, Funimation, Maiden Japan etc.

Honestly some of the pricing has gotten ridiculous. Steelbook only releases for $60 for stuff that should be regular if not budget releases. Angel Cop, Oedo etc.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yoshiaki Kawajiri, the guy who did Ninja Scroll, Wicked City, Cyber City Oedo 808, the Running Man segment in Neo Tokyo, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. Big, big fan of his style and work. I remember 20 years ago I got Ninja Scroll on DVD and was thrilled with it. Soon after I waited for that sequel, or something to fill that void of "more of that, please." Looking at his wiki he's still active in the Credits section, with lots of 'supervision' credits, but the 2007 Highlander anime (lmbo) was his last directorial effort. Man.

Anyways, just a bummer that Highlander will be his last movie. He's 72 now. C'est la vie. Just watching some old Wicked City amv.

edit: this post is big 2.5L energy, don't hurt me hammer

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
SPY x FAMILY.

On hulu, in the states. My daughter hipped me to it. Really enjoying it. Great music, pacing, credits.
Laugh out loud funny at points; fun action too.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
SPY x FAMILY.

On hulu, in the states. My daughter hipped me to it. Really enjoying it. Great music, pacing, credits.
Laugh out loud funny at points; fun action too.
It's such a good show. Manga is great as well

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
It's such a good show. Manga is great as well

Yeah, Luci found a new-to-us Manga shop in Exton (Animotion). We hit them up, and she found the books. Insta-love. The clerk asked if her if she had seen the show yet=rabbit hole fallen into, lol.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Yeah, Luci found a new-to-us Manga shop in Exton (Animotion). We hit them up, and she found the books. Insta-love. The clerk asked if her if she had seen the show yet=rabbit hole fallen into, lol.
Ooooo I gotta check that out

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Just watching some old Wicked City amv.
Great choice. I never realized he did Ninja Scroll, too. Always loved the surprising elegance of the bar near the beginning of Wicked City. Classic hole in the wall place which belied its outer environs.

My wife and I finished the 80s Area 88 OVAs. I remember as a kid how much the design of UN Squadron stuck out to me, as it ended up being my first exposure to the manga/anime artstyle and a very popular game at the rolling rink. Shin Kazama is the most non-Japanese looking Japanese character I've ever seen, right up there with Rainbow Mika.

The anime had a good dub and Shin's VA really nailed his plight. The ending was bittersweet but not terribly unsurprising.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Today is the last day to place orders at RightStuf before it closes, 11:59 PM PT. (15% off the entire store)

EDIT: Looks like everything is already down :(

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ralfakick said he watched the new Ghibli film called The Boy and the Heron, which I didn't even know existed. Thinking about it, ever since Arrietty came out in 2010 I haven't kept up with Ghibli, and the only one released since then that I did watch was The Wind Rises, which I didn't like and have controversial opinions about (lmbo).

Considering whenever Ghibli comes up, people only talk about their movies from Howl's Moving Castle and before (so pre-2004 stuff), I think it's fair to say Tales from Earthsea is when Ghibli shat the bed. Ponyo rebounded and people liked that but I never hear people talk about the movies they've made in the past 13 years. Here they are:

-Arrietty (2010)
-From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
-The Wind Rises (2013)
-The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013)
-When Marnie Was There (2014)
-The Red Turtle (2016)
-Earwig and the Witch (2020, and lmbo a 3D Ghibli made for TV film holy shit wtf were they thinking)
-The Boy and the Heron (2023)

I couldn't tell you anything about any of those movies aside from The Wind Rises, and again, I never hear people talk about these on the internet either - it's always Spirited Away or Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies (fucking normies don't care about Porco Rosso).

Anyways, how about you guys? Do you have any opinion on the movies I've listed? I think it's fair to say we all like Ghibli but in hindsight from the past 13 years or so a Ghibli movie hasn't wowed us. I did watch Ponyo in the theater, had to drive like an hour away to a city that had it, but it didn't do much for me. Killer animation but wasn't for me.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Never even heard of When Marnie Was There or The Red Turtle.

I like The Wind Rises quite a bit. Princess Kaguya was alright but I don't have any interest in re-watching it.

Still haven't seen Poppy Hill. Zero interest in Earwig, that looked awful.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Got the City Hunter movie and TV special collection set. Watched .357 Magnum (aka A Magnum of Love and Destiny) and really enjoyed it. Obviously the "mokkori" stuff gets a little tiring after awhile but there was enough action and style to keep it interesting. Looking forward to going through the rest as I've only ever seen random bits of the series and City Hunter: The Motion Picture.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Ralfakick said he watched the new Ghibli film called The Boy and the Heron, which I didn't even know existed. Thinking about it, ever since Arrietty came out in 2010 I haven't kept up with Ghibli, and the only one released since then that I did watch was The Wind Rises, which I didn't like and have controversial opinions about (lmbo).

Considering whenever Ghibli comes up, people only talk about their movies from Howl's Moving Castle and before (so pre-2004 stuff), I think it's fair to say Tales from Earthsea is when Ghibli shat the bed. Ponyo rebounded and people liked that but I never hear people talk about the movies they've made in the past 13 years. Here they are:

-Arrietty (2010)
-From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
-The Wind Rises (2013)
-The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013)
-When Marnie Was There (2014)
-The Red Turtle (2016)
-Earwig and the Witch (2020, and lmbo a 3D Ghibli made for TV film holy shit wtf were they thinking)
-The Boy and the Heron (2023)

I couldn't tell you anything about any of those movies aside from The Wind Rises, and again, I never hear people talk about these on the internet either - it's always Spirited Away or Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies (fucking normies don't care about Porco Rosso).

Anyways, how about you guys? Do you have any opinion on the movies I've listed? I think it's fair to say we all like Ghibli but in hindsight from the past 13 years or so a Ghibli movie hasn't wowed us. I did watch Ponyo in the theater, had to drive like an hour away to a city that had it, but it didn't do much for me. Killer animation but wasn't for me.
I saw Boy and the Heron in the cinema a few days ago and I loved it. 9/10

I took the message of the movie as accepting death and moving on. I recommend it to everyone