Well, thanks to you guys I got a Lynx.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I hated Steel Talons the first time I played it. Then i kinda got the hang of it...thats a really good game! GBA doesn't even really have anything like that.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Pixeljunkie, I saw in your other thread how much Lynx stuff you have... DANG. That's a lot. Maybe you would know what specs to look for in a A/C adapter (I'll try Radio Shack anyway once I get my Lynx). If you know, post here!*

*(oh and if you ever get tired of looking at any spare Lynx stuff then I know someone who might appreciate it <cough> :) )

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Gates of Zendocon is a good game, I'm sure you can scoop that up cheap

Must-haves:

Stun Runner
Blue Lightening
Road Blasters
Ninja Gaiden (the first one, not the NES port)
Rygar (hard but fun)
Hydra

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
Pixeljunkie, I saw in your other thread how much Lynx stuff you have... DANG. That's a lot. Maybe you would know what specs to look for in a A/C adapter (I'll try Radio Shack anyway once I get my Lynx). If you know, post here!*

*(oh and if you ever get tired of looking at any spare Lynx stuff then I know someone who might appreciate it <cough> :) )

heheh, yeah, I got Lynx stuff coming out of my ears. I still plan on picking up a Model 2 for playing with. [my sis stole my other and refuses to give it back]

Try B&C Computers....thats who I bought my protos off of. They're site show they have some new AC adapters in stock. Give em' an email.

http://www.myatari.com/bclynx.txt

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It arrived! Quick impressions:
1.) The size: About as big as a game gear, only slightly larger.
2.) The screen: Not so bad, slightly washed out but this IS early 1990's technology (I expected this anyhow).
3.) The comfort: Very nice to hold. The recessions on the buttons and D-pad make it very comfortable, and those rubber pads on the back are nice!
4.) The game (APB): Fun if not slightly difficult (well, arcade games are always out to get a quarter, I guess APB was one).
5.) My opinion so far: This is sort of like the (well, maybe not "the") NeoGeo of the handheld wars: better graphics, more powerful, more expensive :emb:. Shame this didn't get the chance it deserved. I'm looking at this and my gameboy side-by-side... color>>>>>>>>>>>>>>greyscale (especially with only 4 shades of grey).

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Lynx came with a carry case; it's made out of some synthetic fiber and can hold a lynx on the inside, and 3 games on the outside. My lynx arrived in nicer shape than I thought (I expected those rubber strips to be gone based on reading up a bit on the internet), the screen is unscratched (I thought it would be somewhat scratched, but nope); the only "defects" I can see is that the serial number sticker is so worn you can't see the numbers (OMG NOs!) and a small piece of dust under the screen (pfft).

The seller left the batteries in here. I'd swear that she left rechargeables in it (they're bright green and have a mAh rating on it, something I don't see on normal batteries), I guess when I go to Radio Shack for a A/C adapter, I'll ask them.

Until then, I'll have to make these batteries last 4-5 hours for one game. I'm almost hoping that the other games didn't arrive yet (this one got dropped off at the door).

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I read through the Lynx FAQ, they described the way to remove the screen from the Lynx II. Could someone describe it in more detail?

I'm just worried about the amount of force I have to apply, I never felt comftorable with the force I had to use to remove the D-pad from my NeoCD joypad when I cleaned it (thing felt ready to break).

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
were you able to track down an AC adapter?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Indeed I did. It was $20 from Rat Shack, but considering the ones on eBay were about the same price, I didn't mind so much.

APB is awesome, I can't wait for my other games to come.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
roke stAr said:
Gates of Zendocon is a good game, I'm sure you can scoop that up cheap

Must-haves:

Stun Runner
Blue Lightening
Road Blasters
Ninja Gaiden (the first one, not the NES port)
Rygar (hard but fun)
Hydra

Don't forget Chip's Challenge!!!! That's probably the game that I've played most in my Lynx.

Shanghai and Chekered Flag are also a great games.

[OCEAN]

bulletnyourass

noble trader
I was looking to buy one of these for California Games. Is the Rygar like the Arcade version or the NES version? Any info that you guys could provide would be helpful.

Phillip

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
DanAdamKOF said:
I5.) My opinion so far: This is sort of like the (well, maybe not "the") NeoGeo of the handheld wars: better graphics, more powerful, more expensive :emb:.
:angry:
You are obviously not People of the Pocket calibur.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
:angry:
You are obviously not People of the Pocket calibur.
Hah! I meant the early 90's handheld wars. You know, better graphics and sound and nice arcade ports, but too high-priced and little third-party support, similar to the NeoGeo vs. the SNES and Genny and PC Engine.

I love my NGPC, don't get me wrong. I love CFC, GNPK and MOTM (and many more).

Edit:
guess some of y'all missed my ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8156566217&rd=1

Basically I'm also getting Cyberball, Kung Food, Xybots, Chip's Challenge, Crystal Mines 2, and Steel Talons. I hope they arrive in the mail tomorrow. APB is fun as heck but I need variety.

And could someone answer my question about taking the screen cover off?

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
How about an update DanAdam? Any new games?

Bulletnyourass said:
I was looking to buy one of these for California Games. Is the Rygar like the Arcade version or the NES version? Any info that you guys could provide would be helpful.

Phillip

Rygar was the Arcade version, I played the hell out of that game in the arcade and on the Lynx.

Like I said before, this system was pure arcade action, and if you were into arcade games, then it's perfect for you.

genjuro1

Ninja Combat Warrior
Had to bump this instead of starting a new thread. I just recently played Atari Lynx games via emulation, and it brought back such fond memories of how amazing I thought the Lynx was when I first got it with Ninja Gaiden back in the day.

The arcade ports were very close to the originals because of the Lynx's 16-bit graphics chip (Hard Drivin, Stun Runner, Hydra, Ninja Gaiden, Roadblasters, Xybots, Rygar, etc.) And a some of the original games were great to (Turbo Sub, Blue Lightning, ect.)

And I agree with the previous statement that the Lynx was the Neo-Geo of it's time.