Washer and dryer recommendations? (<$1,500 all in)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You can look for a used Miele.
New they are quite pricey, but they are often recommended if you want a lifetime washer.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
HE has nothing to do with how well a machine functions. The company may not make any change to the functions of a washer, but certify the power circuit to 80% efficiency. On top of that, these washers are going to use less water than non-HE washers. Here is a quote regarding the power portion of HE:

"a 600-watt power supply with 80% efficiency running at full load would draw 750 W from the mains and would therefore waste only 150 W as heat."

100% efficiency (the goal for everything) is 1:1 energy usage with no waste. We can only dream.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
HE has nothing to do with how well a machine functions. The company may not make any change to the functions of a washer, but certify the power circuit to 80% efficiency. On top of that, these washers are going to use less water than non-HE washers. Here is a quote regarding the power portion of HE:

"a 600-watt power supply with 80% efficiency running at full load would draw 750 W from the mains and would therefore waste only 150 W as heat."

100% efficiency (the goal for everything) is 1:1 energy usage with no waste. We can only dream.

high efficiency is more about low volume of water than power saving.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Let's see...my washing machine is a Kenmore from the 80's that still does the job. It's on the back porch hooked up to a hose that drains the water and keeps the back yard green.

My dryer is the sun since it's mostly sunny and hot in Arizona, getting clothes dried is no problem even during the so-called winter ;)

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Just confirmed. My pieces of shit that I cant part with are indeed Kenmore.
They were one of the first things I was going to throw away when I bought my place a few years back. Now, I will spend whatever it takes to keep them going. So far, that has been $0.
I should really get braided cables at some point though......

IMG_4053.JPEG

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The older ones are definitely better with the idea that they are more mechanical and can be serviced by you. With my old dryer I was able to fix it twice, just by replacing common parts. I know that I could do the same thing with my current dryer, but if something goes wrong with the washer, probably not. I don't think I have an HE washer, but it definately has some sort of computer control in it.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Grabbed a Maytag set. In my research, there’s shit reviews for everything, then excellent reviews for those same products. It really just seems like a crap shoot, so we rolled the dice on something that had mostly good reviews. We’ll see what happens. I appreciate everybody’s participation in the lamest thread in NG history. ✌️

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
The high efficiency ones are great. To get the clothes almost dry before they even hit the dryer, they spin really fast. The vibrations are way better.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Grabbed a Maytag set. In my research, there’s shit reviews for everything, then excellent reviews for those same products. It really just seems like a crap shoot, so we rolled the dice on something that had mostly good reviews. We’ll see what happens. I appreciate everybody’s participation in the lamest thread in NG history. ✌️

This is the entire internet. Everything is a bot or affiliate link. You'll find exactly what you want to hear, good or bad.
You pretty much need to find some nobody on youtube with 100 views and see what they think.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
i went down this rabbit hole a bit as i just bought a new house and need a set myself. people rabidly swear by speed queen, which are almost certainly what are at your local laundromat and they last for eons and are easily serviceable with parts galore. apparently there was a certain year stretch where they modified some designs, and they suck, but who really knows. at any rate i don't think it matters too much as long as you get the dumbest and most mechanical models possible. the only thing you can't service on most appliances are the PCBs etc., so avoid them like the plague