LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
yes/no

agree/disagree

hell what even consitutes a flop

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Lol no. The Neo Geo had one of the longest lifespans of any console in history, and games were still coming out over a decade after it's release. In what universe is that considered a flop?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's a sorta Van Gogh among consoles, loss-making in life, more famous for prices, then essence in death. That said, it's a sophisticatedly equilibrated question, whatever your answer is, you'll be right and wrong at the same time. Kudos.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Don't know if it was a flop but It's probably doing better now then it did back in the 90's.

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
In terms of volume I assume no, but as it had a fickin long lifespan, clearly a success.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Didn't know that new users could start new threads. There are a few posts about this already with some having REALLY significant "findings" or theories on the matter.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It depends the way you look at it. If you were to look at it as if it was a machine that was intended for a large audience, then yes, it failed in that category.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
If it was intended as a console for people to play games, yes it's a flop. If it was designed for people to pay $2,000 for a game and keep it in a dark room never to be played, then yeah it was a huge success.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think the answer is very well reflected in the state of SNK, I'm just grateful for all they left behind.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
logically...Atari was a flop then too?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
guess I should have specified. thats all Atari means to me.
the company is no more, or do they still arcade?

Atari is just a brand name these days, nothing more.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
aaron rice was a mistake

There's another theory I just happen to be a devotee of...

this thread has [some awesome forum posts]. The desperation of people to prove they are better than Lonesage or get a reaction out of him, when seems to give 0 fucks, is priceless.

So many feels hurt because they can't make an obnoxiously simple non-post like he can and garner 4 pages of follow-up.

It's like Dadaesque art.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i'm still not shore if the home console was ever intended to be a success in the first place.there's a chance that snk just put the console out there because the technology was available to do so.

snk is an arcade company before anything else.and as long as they didn't flop in the arcades, the rest didn't matter.

Speed3

Marked Wolf
i'm still not shore if the home console was ever intended to be a success in the first place.there's a chance that snk just put the console out there because the technology was available to do so.

snk is an arcade company before anything else.and as long as they didn't flop in the arcades, the rest didn't matter.

I'm inclined to agree with bogard. SNK made a niche product and to the right consumer it really hit home. I think they knew that they would never run Nintendo out of business. So for what it is/was I would call it a success, hell we're here talking about it today so that is proof enough.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
The MVS was a massive success. Easily one of the most successful arcade boards ever.

The AES was a huge flop. The main reason SNK kept it going was for publicity, marketing, and to satisfy hardcore fans. It helps that making AES games is pretty simple if you're already making the MVS game anyway.