was the 3do technically better than saturn/PSX?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I think about buying a 3DO every year or so. I've never owned one.

I know I wouldn't use it much, and I'd probably keep telling myself "just get Eye of Typhoon".

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
necro trolling aside.
It's one of the retro consoles I still play.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I bought a 3DO a couple of years ago on yahoo japan so I could finally check it out. My only memories of the system come from popular kids game shows of the day having the system and 5 games be the grand prize every week, and it looked so cool at the time. I kept a Consumers Distributors catalogue in my room and remember the price point being so outrageous that it was in AES 'unobtainable' territory along with the Turbo Express.
All these years later, the MVS is still awesome, the Turbo Express is still awesome, and both get plenty of play, but the 3DO got turned on a handful of times and then I sold it after realizing I had no attachment to it or any of the games. Nearly all of the best stuff on the console could be had elsewhere, so I really didn't see the point in keeping a console that would just sit there.

It was a nice idea, but it was done in by Trip's own hubris.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
It was a stop gap machine. I was dying for the next generation of consoles to hit. The 16-bit era had drug on so long for me. This damn machine shows up in the mom & pop electronic's stores looking good. I fell for it like many did. I think I was one of those that paid close to the $700 asking price. I was a stupid kid with way too much paper route money. I remember though it came with 2 controllers and I got a handful of games. In hindsight, I should have ordered a AES but that was a unicorn out in rural Illinois back in that day.

The games that were good were good for that brief moment in time.

I remember when my Mom called the house from Toys R Us stating that Sega had some new machine called a Saturn. I flipped out and asked her if she had the money to buy it and I could get the money from the bank and pay her back. I made a call to a buddy of mine and sold him on the greatness of the 3DO. I think I sold the whole lot for about $450 with system and games. I then took that money to cover the Saturn.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I remember when my Mom called the house from Toys R Us stating that Sega had some new machine called a Saturn. I flipped out and asked her if she had the money to buy it and I could get the money from the bank and pay her back. I made a call to a buddy of mine and sold him on the greatness of the 3DO. I think I sold the whole lot for about $450 with system and games. I then took that money to cover the Saturn.

:lolz: Awesome.

I wasn't aware of the 3DO back when it came out. Was the hype real? Was the press giving it serious cred, even several months of its being available?

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I've still got an fz-1 and an fz-10, it's not a system i play anymore though, road rash, gex, blood angels, killing time, street fighter, wing commander 3, return fire were all decent games on it back in the day.
Lots of shit fmv games and just shit in general games on it though, you couldn't give them away 10-15 years ago, nobody wanted one, i didn't pay more than £30 for either of mine.
The 3do card you could stick in a PC must be rare as shit in a cuckoo clock now but practically useless TBH.
Pretty sure there's no copy protection or region lockout either, so easy to burn iso's if you want to play the library, i've never tried though.
Don't think there's one proper shooter on the system either.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
ROAD RASH!
easily the best version on console.
3DO never got the coverage deserved... :(

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Console wise I used to always play MK on the Genesis, and MKII on the SNES.

If I'm going to play 16-bit cartridge ports of Mortal Kombat games, those are the two I'll play.

Fammicomander you're wrong about 32x MK "pooping" on SNES MKII

EDIT: You're exaggerating

ALSO, has anyone played PSX MKII???

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Yeah Ive played it. Its a smidge better than the saturn version. No where near the quality of the psx MK3 port.

The 32x version isnt as good as the snes version. The 32x version is barely better than the genny version in graphics and sound. Its honestly a slap in the face to the 32x and that's saying something.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

The only thing the 32X version does poorly is that the backgrounds are right out of the Genesis version. But the character sprites are much more detailed and better animated
and the controls are dead on.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

Tak laying down the law

32x is the best version I know in terms of gameplay accuracy, graphics and sound. The voice samples sound a bit stuffed, but it's not too bad.

I've played most of the MK2 versions including the PC port and I don't think they can hold up against the 32x version. And yeah, a six-button pad/stick is highly recommended, the 3-button layout is hard to get into.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think about buying a 3DO every year or so. I've never owned one.

I know I wouldn't use it much, and I'd probably keep telling myself "just get Eye of Typhoon".
You'd never find a legit disc. Old Korean stuff is stupid hard to find.

The only thing the 32X version does poorly is that the backgrounds are right out of the Genesis version. But the character sprites are much more detailed and better animated
and the controls are dead on.
What the hell kind of knock off Mega Drive controller is that?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The SNES version was a good port but it feels stiff as hell after playing the 32x one. I won't go back.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
3DO's Wolfenstein 3D is still the best console version. It's the biggest reason my 3DO stays out.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
3DO's Wolfenstein 3D is still the best console version. It's the biggest reason my 3DO stays out.

The Jaguar port was excellent also, but shoulder strafe just edges it on 3DO.

The Gameboy Advance port is solid as well. I sometimes like shooting a few Nazi’s while on the pan.