War zone, Brazilian style !!!

Neo Collector

Raiden's Valet
Big resume, 3 of 4 buildings collapse last night, the one that is left is where i work, i was on the building at 21hs when the whole thing happens, i watched everything going down from the window on my office, further info can be found on cnn bbc and for those who can read Portuguese look at www.globo.com for interviews infos and pictures.

My building is closed and the rescue will go at least till Monday, i thing more than 30 people are dead under the debris of the 3 buildings.

Time to change priority's in my life.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
pics or it didn't happen.

just kidding; I'm glad you're okay.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Unless some whacky ass Middle Eastern terrorists were flying planes into the buildings, it ain't the same thing.

Sounds like California though...

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Oh shit. I don't even know what the hell I would be thinking if I actually witnessed something like that.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
did the terrorists come forward yet to praise allah?

Neo Collector

Raiden's Valet
Oh shit. I don't even know what the hell I would be thinking if I actually witnessed something like that.

I'm glad i'm still alive, sounds cheesy i know, but that is how i feel right now, but the true test will be when i get to enter my building again.

I can also say that nothing ordinary can prepare you to witness such a terrible tragedy, the only possible experience i can think of would be fighting in a big war, its like that no more no less.

PS: I edited the title to something that is more like what happened.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
That's really close to the cathedral, I remember visiting it a long time ago.

Alas, this sort of shoddy construction is something that happens in any country with corruption, though it tends to iron itself out once a country moves into its economic prime. As Brazil is a part of the rising BRIC, I won't be surprised if things like this hasten a move to reform.

If you want to see a good comparison, South Korea had an infamous and far more deadly incident in 1995 that ended up as a harbinger of its rise to being a modern democracy. Wikipedia actually has a pretty good article about the incident and its effects on South Korean society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampoong_Department_Store_collapse

Here's a documentary by National Geographic --I haven't seen it all, but if its like most TV docs its probably has some filler (but it has images):

PS: I edited the title to something that is more like what happened.
I read the title and thought this was going to be about favelas.

Neo Collector

Raiden's Valet
That's really close to the cathedral, I remember visiting it a long time ago.

Alas, this sort of shoddy construction is something that happens in any country with corruption, though it tends to iron itself out once a country moves into its economic prime. As Brazil is a part of the rising BRIC, I won't be surprised if things like this hasten a move to reform.

If you want to see a good comparison, South Korea had an infamous and far more deadly incident in 1995 that ended up as a harbinger of its rise to being a modern democracy. Wikipedia actually has a pretty good article about the incident and its effects on South Korean society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampoong_Department_Store_collapse

Here's a documentary by National Geographic --I haven't seen it all, but if its like most TV docs its probably has some filler (but it has images):

I read the title and thought this was going to be about favelas.

Two blocks away from metropolitan cathedral, i park there every day. The building that collapsed and took the other two buildings with it was not a shoddy construction instead it were poorly and shoddy maintained by the owner who let everyone that rent offices to modify the structure without any guidance from engineers, look at the picture above.

PR%C3%89DIOS-QUE-DESABARAM.jpeg

On the side of the taller building you can see some windows but not in all the stores, they were "created" by those who rented the offices without authorization from any one, that's why the building collapse.

Got back from the site a while ago, still a giant mess with no hope to find anyone alive, although i asked i couldn't get access to my building to collect valuable documents, maybe in two days they said but i don't believe.

I will wait and hope for the best.

It has nothing to do with shoddy construction, some IT company bought a floor of the building and was revamping it into a big office by removing all walls and structural components.

All work happened midnight to avoid city inspection.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Alas, this sort of shoddy construction is something that happens in any country with corruption. . .

. . .

On the side of the taller building you can see some windows but not in all the stores, they were "created" by those who rented the offices without authorization from any one, that's why the building collapse.

. . .

It has nothing to do with shoddy construction, some IT company bought a floor of the building and was revamping it into a big office by removing all walls and structural components.

All work happened midnight to avoid city inspection.

Windows where they didn't used to be is hard to avoid, night or day. That sounds like "shoddy construction" and perhaps corruption (or incompetence). Regardless, I fail to see how removing walls and all structural components isn't shoddy construction, but don't take it as a cultural slight. There are popular television shows about the incompetencies in US home construction.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I think he meant that it wasn't the people who built it in the first place responsible for removing of walls and pillars by the IT company remodeling.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Windows where they didn't used to be is hard to avoid, night or day. That sounds like "shoddy construction" and perhaps corruption (or incompetence). Regardless, I fail to see how removing walls and all structural components isn't shoddy construction, but don't take it as a cultural slight. There are popular television shows about the incompetencies in US home construction.
Dude, have you ever heard the term "load-bearing wall"?

Have you ever played Jenga? Or Break the Ice?

Removing any structural support weakens the entire structure, even drilling holes (for power or data, for instance) can be enough to do it. Remove enough, and the whole thing comes crashing down.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Dude, have you ever heard the term "load-bearing wall"?

Have you ever played Jenga? Or Break the Ice?

Removing any structural support weakens the entire structure, even drilling holes (for power or data, for instance) can be enough to do it. Remove enough, and the whole thing comes crashing down.

Yes. I think you misunderstood me.