Wanna mod a neo geo for component video

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I need a guide and a list of all parts I'm gonna need.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I would like to mod the new and rumors section.

Can someone make this happen?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I am so sick of replies like this. I see a reply and wonder if someone answered it, and bam, its something like this. Can I please just get a reply that will actually help?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You just need an RGB to component encoder.

You can tap the signals from the points in this tutorial:

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html?show=aesrgb

It covers most revisions.

For stereo, use C&D so you can adjust volume:

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html?show=aessound

The hardest part about the mod is mounting the jacks which is actually pretty simple.

I use a 1" strip of painters blue tape and mark a line straight down the middle length-wise. Then measure usually every 3/4" for the jacks. Some jacks are bigger so sometimes I go 1" apart instead. When done with the spacing you just need to apply the tape to the back of the unit. I usually leave about 2" between the AV socket and the first hole I'll be drilling.

Don't drill jacks on your system, it's retarded, just make the thing inside a project box and hook it up at the 8 pin din and headphone. XNEO-1 style.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Don't drill jacks on your system, it's retarded, just make the thing inside a project box and hook it up at the 8 pin din and headphone. XNEO-1 style.

If someone needs instructions on how to mod the AES for component they would most likely have a harder time making an external box. I agree it's a better solution. Also depending on his revision he may need to do an RGB bypass. From my experience revision 3-3 is the revision that really NEEDS the bypass no matter what. The RGB out is so dim from the AV socket.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I am so sick of replies like this. I see a reply and wonder if someone answered it, and bam, its something like this. Can I please just get a reply that will actually help?

I thought I was a unique snowflake this whole time.

You should've seen the look on my face when I saw your reply ... oh man.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Sorry for reactivating such an old thread but is there any encoder you can recommend?

Thanks,
Alexis
You can just use an RGB SCART cable and an external SCART RGB->yuv (component) converter. That way you don't have to mod your AES.
You shouldn't bump old threads.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sorry for reactivating such an old thread but is there any encoder you can recommend?

Thanks,
Alexis

If you are in Germany, just use RGB SCART. That's better than component.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
Yeaahhhhh the AES I bought off of ebay had the component mod done for better picture and stereo but the damn console didn't work. So I had to take it to a repair shop where they told me the seller did a crap job on the mod and will only play basic video and sound. I was hoping I could have it shipped somewhere to get the mod ether totally replaced or repaired. I assume Xian Xi is the one I talk to about this correct? Or JNX?

Alexis

n00b
@joe8: Why shouldn't I? I had a question about it and didn't see a reason, why I should open a new thread for it.

@Xian Xi: Can you explain me, why? I thought it would be at least the same.
Getting RGB in Germany is not the problem, correct. The reason I want to do this is because almost all modern Smart TVs coming without a SCART Connector whole YUV is still available.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
@joe8: Why shouldn't I? I had a question about it and didn't see a reason, why I should open a new thread for it.

Getting RGB in Germany is not the problem, correct. The reason I want to do this is because almost all modern Smart TVs coming without a SCART Connector whole YUV is still available.
The problem I have had before was the component these output are 240P and not 480P so it never worked on new TVs.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

RGB is the purest signal you can get from the Neo, if you go with component video go with a great component encoder like the Neobitz. And as mentioned, make sure your TV can accept a 240p signal as some modern TVs require a minimum of 480i. Oh and Component is less quality than RGB. Just remember the more compression the worse the picture. You are taking 4 Signals (Red, Green, Blue, Sync) and reducing it to 3 signals (Y, Pb, Pr) so there is going to be some quality loss. That's why Composite looks so bad from 4 to 1.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Component video is not of lesser quality than RGB picture wise, only color wise. There is some slight color loss from component (mostly due to rounding) but none as far as picture quality goes. Component video does indeed compress the video signal, but it is a form of lossless compression. Component takes Blue - Luma and Red - Luma (Blue and red are uncompressed, and Luma carries the sync) and whatever is left over must be green . It makes senses since green is usually more than 33% of the color spectrum of most video feeds on average. It's a simple algebraic formula to compress the video signal without losing any video quality. The quality of component is the same as RGB, with a very minor loss in color.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Picture quality is less. The picture is constructed of colors, less colors equals less details equals less picture quality. You can see the difference between RGB and Component.

If the encoder is good then you will hardly see the difference but there are a lot of encoders out there and some show a big difference.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Okay, I can see that point of view. But what I was referring to in regards to picture quality is, if you only plugged Luma in (Y), the sharpness and quality of all the pixels is the same as RGB, there is no loss in clarity as there is in composite, but at the sametime I suppose the same can be said about s-video which also seperates luma making my point moot. And agreed, a big part of the quality lies on the encoder just like any composite or s-video encoder.

Last edited:

Alexis

n00b
Very useful postings here, thank you guys!

Xian Xi: Is the Neobitz still available or which converter are you using when modding a ng?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You are taking 4 Signals (Red, Green, Blue, Sync) and reducing it to 3 signals (Y, Pb, Pr) so there is going to be some quality loss. That's why Composite looks so bad from 4 to 1.
RGB is 4 to 4.
Component (yuv) is 4 to 3
s-video is 4 to 2
Composite is 4 to 1
RF is 5 to 1

Component video is not of lesser quality than RGB picture wise, only color wise. There is some slight color loss from component (mostly due to rounding) but none as far as picture quality goes. Component video does indeed compress the video signal, but it is a form of lossless compression. Component takes Blue - Luma and Red - Luma (Blue and red are uncompressed, and Luma carries the sync) and whatever is left over must be green . It makes senses since green is usually more than 33% of the color spectrum of most video feeds on average. It's a simple algebraic formula to compress the video signal without losing any video quality. The quality of component is the same as RGB, with a very minor loss in color.
As far as an old system like the Neo goes, RGB is better than component for colors. Theoretically, the colors removed from the RGB color space for component aren't visible by humans. Even color ranges you can't see might have an effect on those you can. I have tried RGB and component on a PVM, and the colors are better with RGB. Reds are actually red, blues are actually blue. It's just like with Mp3s, the frequencies removed (by the compression) theoretically can't be heard by humans, but in practice the Mp3s sound worse than uncompressed audio.
I don't know that component is better for resolution/sharpness either, because the Neo is low res anyway. On a high res system like the PS2, component is maybe slightly sharper (but colors are still better with RGB).

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

Xian Xi: Is the Neobitz still available or which converter are you using when modding a ng?

The Neobitz is still available if you contact Jeff Kurtz (he's on these forums). Another good converter (from what I've read) is the JROK version 4.1 or 3.1, difference is the 3.1 does not have composite IIRC: http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/store.html

Regards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Anything Neo, I ALWAYS use the Neobitz. I prefer it for the Neo over any other encoder.

The Neobitz is still available if you contact Jeff Kurtz (he's on these forums). Another good converter (from what I've read) is the JROK version 4.1 or 3.1, difference is the 3.1 does not have composite IIRC: http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/store.html

Regards.

The JROK 4.1 produces a more saturated color palette on the Neo.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Getting RGB in Germany is not the problem, correct. The reason I want to do this is because almost all modern Smart TVs coming without a SCART Connector while YUV is still available.
Are CRT TVs (or Sony PVMs) with RGB SCART connection still available second-hand in Germany? That would be your best option. You should avoid component in favor of RGB, if at all possible. Most modern TVs (except maybe OLED models) are inferior to CRT in terms of colors and black levels.

Alexis

n00b
Are CRT TVs (or Sony PVMs) with RGB SCART connection still available second-hand in Germany? That would be your best option. You should avoid component in favor of RGB, if at all possible. Most modern TVs (except maybe OLED models) are inferior to CRT in terms of colors and black levels.

Yes, for a few bucks, actually! It's more a comfortable thing to play right in the living room where of course a modern tv stands. With wife and kids you don't always have the place for an extra big tv ;)