wall murals I've done

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I took pics of these since I've got a paying gig for painting at a business here in town, and since I now have pics to show them, I've got them on my computer. Might as well show them off. One is in a bedroom, one is at a Best Buy break room (I used to work there), and the last is in my living room.

dolphin.jpg

therock.jpg

lastpicture.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the job for painting. They're having me do over 16 pictures in total, based on if they like my work or not. :)

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Everything looks awesome except the Abercrombie shirt! ;) I really like your shading technique. Rippled light (in the first pic) must be a real pain to do in that medium.

Is this something you do as a hobby, or are you hoping to be able to live off of your earnings?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Ely13 said:
Everything looks awesome except the Abercrombie shirt! ;) I really like your shading technique. Rippled light (in the first pic) must be a real pain to do in that medium.

Is this something you do as a hobby, or are you hoping to be able to live off of your earnings?

Hobby only, but a decorator at the store I work for has got me on one job, and another for her own home planned. So, think of it as a hobby that pays now and then. I've only been paid once before (Best Buy), but I'm working on getting pictures of my work to show as display. If this business downtown is a go, that's a scrapbook worth of work to show off right there. Plus it being a paying gig, will help in the future. But to use it as a job? No way, talk about starving artist.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
The dolphin sucks honestly.

The rest is pretty good (the last one turned out really good for the most part)

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
The dolphin sucks honestly.

The rest is pretty good (the last one turned out really good for the most part)

That was my first one from about... 7 years ago. I do agree. :oh_no:

shir0

Later, Gumm0
The last one is good.

I saw the before shots of it and thought it was mediocre but it really turned
out awesome. Good job man.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
You seem a little bi-curious, but the last painting is pretty nice - not that there's anything wrong with that.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
shir0 said:
The last one is good.

Yeah, ace job on the last one. There's a whole lot of detail in there and you managed to capture it well. Copying a Norman Rockwell painting is not an easy feat I'd imagine.

Neo Mike

Creative Moderator, Art Gallery Coordinator,
20 Year Member
Spike - those are awesome.

Did you have any formal training in painting?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Neo Mike said:
Spike - those are awesome.

Did you have any formal training in painting?

None, and you can tell. I just sort of thumb my way through it until I'm happy with what I've done. Again, the dolphin was a first effort, and it shows.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
The dolphin might not be the best, but I really like your shading/coloring. You don't just throw the paint up there, it's blends perfectly.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I concur with the others that the dolphin is hurtin'. The other two are very nice, with the exception of the doctor's face in the Norman Rockwell reproduction.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
To anyone bashing 'teh dolphin', I would just say I would NEVER be able to paint nor draw anything that good. And what about ya? :cool:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Shito said:
To anyone bashing 'teh dolphin', I would just say I would NEVER be able to paint nor draw anything that good. And what about ya? :cool:

Thanks, but they're right, man. It's poor. But, it was my first ever work with acrylic, so that's my excuse. Done many years ago, too. But thanks again. :)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Thanks, but they're right, man. It's poor. But, it was my first ever work with acrylic, so that's my excuse. Done many years ago, too. But thanks again. :)

Indeed it's pretty much clear you had quite and improving, and that's the best part of the whole story. On the other hand, is also clear you had quite a talent from the beginning. Are you into 'paper illustration' too, or just wall/mural art? :)