Wait what!? Ninja Scroll 2?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

Where did this come from? Trailer seems from 3 years ago. Is this still coming?

The original is defenitely in my top 3 anime list. The series was so meh.

OMG ! I had no idea this was happening. I'll never forget the first one. I loved how it was my first introduction to anime. I especially love Kagero... dem nips...dat mouf...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Could use a serious cash injection... and I still wish for another Goku adventure.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
The quality isn’t up there with the original but I’m all for having it. Only concern was that 2012 copyright at the end. Is this happening or just some project that never made it?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Interview in 2003 with Kawajiri said they were making a sequel.

Best to just forget about it.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Interview in 2003 with Kawajiri said they were making a sequel.

Best to just forget about it.

Sup LS! Yeah I think I remember that too. I didn’t really care for the Ninja Scroll anime series that eventually aired on tv, but I remember reading that a true sequel to the original film was in the works back then. I guess the film project got as far as this teaser and that was it. If funds were an issue, surely they could have taken this to something like kickstarter. Oh well.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
this looks a lot different from the first movie but i'll take anything ninja scroll.

ninja scroll is one of the best anime of all time and had a big influence on snk when it came to inspiration. would of invested.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
There's lots of really good live action ninja movies to check out with Jubei and the Yagyu clan. I really enjoyed the two with Sonny Chiba. Shogun's Samurai: The Yagyu Conspiracy and Samurai Reincarnation aka Makai Tenshou

Naika

Street Hoop Star
There's lots of really good live action ninja movies to check out with Jubei and the Yagyu clan. I really enjoyed the two with Sonny Chiba. Shogun's Samurai: The Yagyu Conspiracy and Samurai Reincarnation aka Makai Tenshou

Makai Tensho is the shit people. Go watch it TODAY!!!

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Did anyone watch the spiritual successor Ninja Resurrection that was left uncompleted
ninja_resurrection__wallpaper_gwljf.jpg

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
They are completely unrelated in any way. NR's Yagyu Jubei is different from Kabigami Jubei from NS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Resurrection

"Reception:

In 1998 ADV Films' decision to release Makai Tensho as Ninja Resurrection caused a wave of confusion among anime fans. First, the animated film ended in a cliffhanger and was never finished after only two episodes were completed. Second and more importantly, most viewers left they were led to believe that this was a sequel to Ninja Scroll, as both titles featured a main character named Jubei, similar design and animative style and even the title logo was given a design similar to that of the latter. Critics saw this as ADV's attempt to capitalize on Ninja Scroll's popularity at the time which had taken American audiences by storm with the exposure assistance from MTV's animated TV series Liquid Television. Ninja Resurrection's interesting storyline and character development, violent action horror-gore, and episode cliffhangers, left DVD audiences wanting more, that would never come as no further episodes were released. While Ninja Resurrection sold well in the U.S., the deceptive marketing gave it one of the worst reputations in American anime fandom."

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Trailer is from 2012.

This isn't happening.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
They are completely unrelated in any way. NR's Yagyu Jubei is different from Kabigami Jubei from NS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Resurrection

"Reception:

In 1998 ADV Films' decision to release Makai Tensho as Ninja Resurrection caused a wave of confusion among anime fans. First, the animated film ended in a cliffhanger and was never finished after only two episodes were completed. Second and more importantly, most viewers left they were led to believe that this was a sequel to Ninja Scroll, as both titles featured a main character named Jubei, similar design and animative style and even the title logo was given a design similar to that of the latter. Critics saw this as ADV's attempt to capitalize on Ninja Scroll's popularity at the time which had taken American audiences by storm with the exposure assistance from MTV's animated TV series Liquid Television. Ninja Resurrection's interesting storyline and character development, violent action horror-gore, and episode cliffhangers, left DVD audiences wanting more, that would never come as no further episodes were released. While Ninja Resurrection sold well in the U.S., the deceptive marketing gave it one of the worst reputations in American anime fandom."

spiritual successor

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I would still not consider it that, but that's probably just me.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
it's not just you

wasn't a spiritual successor

completely different animation studio

completely different story

only similarity is NINJA in the title

not a spiritual successor

Ip Man

15 Year Member
there was that ninja scroll tv series, but basilisc was the closest to ninja scroll out of all the thing with the ninja scroll name that came after the original movie.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
there was that ninja scroll tv series, but basilisc was the closest to ninja scroll out of all the thing with the ninja scroll name that came after the original movie.

kouga nija scrls?

Ip Man

15 Year Member
kouga nija scrls?

kouga ninja scrolls it is. one of the best ninja anime imo. has a very ninja scroll vibe to it far more than ninja resurrection and ninja scroll tv series.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Ninja Resurrection is a liberal adaptation of the novel Makai Tensho, written by Futaro Yamada in 1967. In Japan, Ninja Resurrection was actually called Makai Tensho. The protagonist of Makai Tensho is Yagyu Jubei, a very famous samurai that has been used as a hero in many, many fantasy stories over the years.

Given that Jubei Kibagami was created by Yoshiaki Kawajiri as an homage to Yagyu Jubei, it's very dubious to suggest that Ninja Resurrection is any kind of 'successor', spiritual or otherwise, to Ninja Scroll. Especially considering Makai Tensho predates it by many, many years.

It's just another entry in the same subgenre of the medium. If Makai Tensho is inspired by Jubei Ninpucho in any way, it's probably just because the guys that developed it for an OVA (a lot of Mu Animation Studio guys, as I recall) thought it was 'the right time' to work on the project. Sadly, Makai Tensho was never finished as an anime.

If anything, Jubei Ninpucho is a spiritual successor to Makai Tensho.