Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer

COMEDISDEGNO

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Let's start some necrophile extravaganza. Enough Kofs and Garous, time to show some love to underdogs too.

These are some combos i'm recycling from long ago. I'll report the char against whom the combo has been tested to make things clear - this doesn't mean they can't necessarily work against others.
DMs require energy bar to be low and flashing...

All combos tested and guaranteed to work...

MARION

(vs Kyosuke) jump D, st A, st A, st A, st A, st A, cr D (1 hit), juggle, dp+C (3), DIZZY, jump D, cl st D, f,hcf+BC (DM, 1) --- 10 + 3 hits --- 100% damage

(vs Kyosuke, enemy at one third of the screen, Marion closer to the corner) jump crossover D, cl st D, f,hcf+BC (DM, 3) --- 5

(vs Shen Long) jump D, cr C, cr A, cr A, cr D (1), juggle, f,hcf+BC (DM, 2), DIZZY, jump D, cl st D, hcf+A --- 7+3 --- 100%

(vs Shaia) jump D, cr C, cr D (1), juggle, dp+C (4), DIZZY, jump C, cl st D, hcf+B --- 7+3 --- 100%

(vs anyone, better vs big chars like P.Twins) enemy jumping, jump A (2), juggle, land, jump A (2), juggle, land, jump A (2), juggle, land, dp+C (3) --- 9

FUDOMARU

(vs Shaia) jump D, charge db, cr B, cr B, cr B, cr B, f+C (4), DIZZY, jump C, cl st D (1), db,hcb,f+AC (DM, 5) --- 9+7 --- 100%

(vs Karin) jump C, charge db, cr B, cr B, cr B, cr B, cr B, f+C (4) --- 10

(vs Ohga) jump C\D, charge db, cr C, cr B, cr B, f+C (5) --- 9

(vs P.Twins, with empowered exchangable move - read, move stolen from another Fudomaru) jump C\D, cl st D (1), qcf+CD (3) --- 5

A couple of basic juggles:

d+D, juggle, qcf+C

d+D, juggle, db,hcb,f+AC (3)

KYOSUKE

(vs Gowcaizer, corner) qcb+C (monkey appears), jump D, cr B, cr B, cl st C, hcf+B, jump D, cr B, cr B, cl st C, hcf+B, jump D, cr B, cr B, cl st C, hcf+B, get closer, cr A, cr A, cr A, cr A --- 19 --- 100%

It's an infinite. Better, a damn hard infinite, the timing required to connect a cr B into a st C is so frustrating.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
* starts digging into his docs

Good work, COMEDISDEGNO!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Here is a character faq I've written for Shen Long about two years ago, I've revised and updated it where necessary. All move commands and names have been taken from various faqs like Barberman's VF Gowcaizer Faq 2.0 (originally posted on DHP), various internet posts (including some inspiring ones on Orochinagi) and of course the game manual. I've used the English move names because I couldn't find a reliable source for the Japanese ones.

I've started writing faqs for Hellstinger and Brider a while ago but did not finish them so far, I'm planning to at least update the combos in them and post them here. Also, the Copyable Attack section of this chara faq needs an update... ...---...

Okay, here we go:

---

Shen Long, the Battle Master

"Humph! My name is Shen Long. Listen up - don't treat me like the other dregs. I've been treating these fists by myself for twenty years - that's right, twenty years, ever since that man humiliated me. Now, I know that my blood-drenched fists are more than a match for me. Yes, and now I've found him out. He's somehow risen to the top of this Belnar Institute. Well, if you insist, I'll join up with you. But listen well, I'm the fastest there is when it comes to launching attacks. When I rush, none of the other weaklings out there has a chance to stop me. Alright, so don't hold back, kid!"

1 -- System Info

qcf, hcb, d,f,df = Stick motions

f,f = Quickly press the stick forward twice (Dash)

A, B, D = Buttons

AB = Press A and B at the same time

B/D = Either use B or D

2 -- Character Outline

Shen Long is your typical elderly but powerful character with a focus on close and midrange combat, raw hit power and quick Kung Fu-style strings. He shines in the hands of aggressive players who prefer strings/mixups with normals over elaborate specials setups, but due to a good mixture of both long-range specials, a very effective uppercut/dragon punch move and his quick strings, he is relatively easy to pick up and play.

Pros: Good mixture of quickness and power, easy to use, combo-friendly

Cons: Some specials have big lags/long startup time, his hard-hitting double hit normals are risky to use against fast opponents

3 -- Move Discussion

Normal Moves
-----------

Light punch (A) and light kick (B)

Both come out quite fast. Crouching B into standing B into special would be a standard strategy to use them. Both of them combo after a jumping D or C.

When doing a far standing B about a chara length away, Long does some sort of short windmill-type of move that slightly shifts him forward, use this if you want to close in for a special.

Strong punch (C) and strong kick (D)

Come out considerably slower than the light versions, both do up to two hits (close standing D, crouching D (knocks down), crouching C and far standing C). The 2nd hit (except the one of the crouching D) is cancellable.

On a sidenote, the crouching D becomes cancellable if your opponent blocks it, you could follow it up with a dp+A to catch him off guard.

All those two-hitters should be used with caution because they come out slow (specially D) and can be easily reversed/punished.

Throws
-----

f/b+C (Leg Throw)

Long grabs his opponent and throws him into the air. Can be followed up with his qcf,d,df+BD DM if used near corner.

Dash Attack
---------

f,f+A/B/C/D (Elbow Thrust)

Long dashes in and hits the opponent with his elbow. Can be used in combos (see below).

Specials
-------

d,f,df+B/D (Rising Buster Kick)

Jumps up with his flaming leg, D version does multiple hits. Very useful anti-air move, can be used in combos.

qcb+A/C (Illusion Warrior)

A shadow image of Long strikes forward and hits your opponent a few times. Move startup time of the C version is quite long, stick to the A version to be on the safe side. Can be used in combos. The C version also has a range of nearly a whole screen.

qcf+A/C (Illusion Grapple)

Long releases a glowing projectile, when it connects, he "tele-grabs" his opponent, throws him upside down and knocks him over. Does also connect if an opponent jumps into the projectile. Good for taking initiative because of the short knock-down phase. Leaves you very vulnerable if it gets blocked.

Copyable Attack
------------

qcf+C/D (Illusion Bind)

Standard Shen Long CA.

Desperation Moves
--------------

qcf,d,df+BD (Super Buster Kick)

Long does a more powerful version of his standard dp move. Long startup time, but can be used in combos.

when close, qcf x2+BC (Double Buster Kick)

[working on it]

4 -- Combos

Long has a lot of very similar string combos, here are some basic ones to get you started:

jA -> cB -> sB -> dp+B/D

jC -> c/sB -> sB -> f,f+B

jD -> cB -> cB -> qcb+A

crossup D -> cB -> cB -> qcf+A

jC -> cA -> cA -> sB ( -> f+B )

5 -- Gameplay Tips

Offence
------

This is where it's at for Shen Long. He is a pressure chara that rewards being played aggressively. Stick to poking and quick strings/jumping attacks + strings, build up pressure with controlled retreats, followed by quick counters. He also is good at very quick high/low games. Learn to love the crouching B.

His double-hitting strong normals hit twice and can be cancelled/used in combos, that's why you should always keep an qcf+A/C or qcb+A/C ready to score an extra hit after the first hit connects.

Against equally aggressive opponents, his crouching D and the qcf+A/C grapple comes in handy. Don't forget that you can "combo" into a special off of a blocked crouching D or C, use this to do some tick damage or to punish an opponent with weak guarding skills.

Shen Long's DMs can be used in combos but it's kinda tricky due to the long startup time. Use the Super Buster Kick as a powerful anti-air and your opponent will be in for big damage.

His Dash Attack is very useful too but it works best in combos because a missed standalone DA leaves you wide open for a counter.

Defence
------

Use the Illusion Grapple or the Rising Buster Kick to counter jumping or rushing attacks. His far standing C (I mainly use b+C when standing more than a chara length away) moves him forward and hits twice so it's a good tool to break a defensive situation. Fall back to quick close high/low games.

Throws are hard to connect in most cases, you have to stand very close and press the stick forward or back. Learn your opponents moves and counter with a f+C throw if you see a special coming that has some startup time. Under certain conditions you can also connect a running throw but that doesn't work against all characters.

Don't use the qcb+A/C Illusion Warrior, or at least steer clear of the C version, takes too long to come out.

---

Last edited:

COMEDISDEGNO

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
EvilWasabi said:
nice - you should make a video for these.

Don't know, honestly. Combos may sound cool, but in the end it's all about

-air attack
-more or less complex chain, possible conclusion with juggling cancellable move
-special \ DM
-dizzy
-repeat

There're some interesting juggles but the game definitely lacks depth.

Even adding some linking after specials (like that one with Kyosuke) and adimitting that some ideas i'm going to test will work, there doesn't seem to anything to make crowds scream of joy and surprise.

Btw, still to analyze the game truly in deep, time may prove me wrong.
I'm still convinced that attaching some VFG combos to the DD video as an extra will be the best solution.

Great work Takumaji :)
Just two notes:

qcf x2+BC (Double Buster Kick)

An even more powerful version. Haven't managed to use it in combos so far.

Wasn't this a command grab? Not comboable and to be performed close?

(corner) jC -> cA -> cA -> sB ( -> f+B ) -> qcf,d,df+BD

If i remember correctly, the DM doesn't connect after a weak attack, too much lag.

Take my notes with a grain of salt, it's been a life since i last played the game ;)

SHENLONG

(vs Brider) jump D, (KEEP PRESSED FORWARD DURING THE WHOLE CHAIN) (st cl A) x 4, (st far A x 4), dp+B, DIZZY, jump D, st cl C (1), qcfx2+BD (1) --- 10 + 3 --- 100%

Jabs have to be delayed as much a spossible, resulting in a 'hit - walk - hit' sequence.
The DM hits once due to the enemy dying of heartbreak.

KARIN

hcf+P, far st A, ch b,f+A

jump D, (KEEP PRESSED FORWARD DURING THE WHOLE CHAIN) cl st A x 8, ch b,f+A

(enemy jumping), any normal attack, juggle, db,hcf+AC (DM)

Note: Karin combos could go on undefinitely using her dwarf-clones attack, but given its random nature it isn't trustworthy.

CAP. ATLANTIS

(full screen distance, copyable attack taken from himself, enemy cornered and jumping - or in alternative, Marion flying) ch.b,f+A, juggle, ch.d,u+CD (1) - 2 hits

PLATONIC TWINS (selectable only with debug bios or on emus...)

(enemy jumping) hcbx2+BC (DM), juggle, hcbx2+BC, juggle, tap C --- up to 99% damage vs Marion

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Heh, guess my little faq needs another update.

Have to try the DM combo again, I could swear it connected at least after the c/sB, that's why I've put the f+B in brackets. I had written it down like that back then, but after a bit of testing I wasn't sure anymore.

At the mo I'm busy getting some Hellstinger combos to work that I've found in one of my docs, he's a really cool chara except for that ridiculous guitar projectile thingy, it's just too damn laggy.

How do you confirm your combos, btw? I was thinking about working with two ppl, one performs the combos and the other one lets the first hit connect and then blocks to get something like the 1-step guard in KoF practise mode... bit boring for player two, tho... I can be veeery persistent in trying a combo over and over and over again... :D

COMEDISDEGNO

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Takumaji said:
Heh, guess my little faq needs another update.

Have to try the DM combo again, I could swear it connected at least after the c/sB, that's why I've put the f+B in brackets. I had written it down like that back then, but after a bit of testing I wasn't sure anymore.

At the mo I'm busy getting some Hellstinger combos to work that I've found in one of my docs, he's a really cool chara except for that ridiculous guitar projectile thingy, it's just too damn laggy.

How do you confirm your combos, btw? I was thinking about working with two ppl, one performs the combos and the other one lets the first hit connect and then blocks to get something like the 1-step guard in KoF practise mode... bit boring for player two, tho... I can be veeery persistent in trying a combo over and over and over again... :D

Just checked (all this talking 'bout Gowcaizer made me want to spend some time overnight on it) and yes, you can't combo the DM after a weak attack.

Hellstinger is cool indeed, gotta love his energy column intro.

And yes again, that's the way i use. Considering there's no combo meter nor a combo damage buffer you have to test it all by yourself. Finding friends patient enough to endure the task is hard (even more when i need someone to control player 2 for complex combos...), but nothing that offering a beer can't solve :cool:

More fun with juggles...

BRIDER

(enemy jumping, near but not necessarily close to corner) jump qcb,ub+K, juggle, land, dp+A\C (3) or qcb,ub+A

Easy and cool, the air move gives you plenty of time to connect whatever you prefer.

MARION

dd,u (flying mode active), hcb+B\D, juggle, land, dp+C (4)

This doesn't require an airborne opponent but the timing is strict. The hcb+K must hit as low as possible in order to land fast enough.

GOWCAIZER

(G. in corner, opponent full screen away) qcf+B, both chars dash in the same direction, opponent reaches the other side of the screen, then

1) G. dashes 3 times, qcb,db,f+AC (DM) [the super hits before the fireball connects - the FB doesn't knock down the enemy]

2) G, dashes 4 times, cr B, fireball hits, juggle, cancel previous move in dp+C or hcf,b+BC (DM)

3) G. dashes 3 times, jump forward, air attack, fireball connects and juggles, continue with same moves as above (not 100% sure about this one)

An old trick of the book, always pleasant to apply. Should be possible with Atlantis too, still to check.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks for confirming the DM combo, I've updated my previous post accordingly.

Still busy with confirming my Hellstinger combos... it's trickier than I thought, had to delete two out of five from my list already...

Your Marion combos are great, btw.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
WOW! I didn't think anybody actually played this game...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I still haven't finished confirming most of my Hellstinger, Shen Long and Brider stuff... anyway, here's a Hellstinger combo that shows the strange buffering rules of VFG:

jD -> start charging d or db -> cB -> cA -> let the stick slide to neutral position -> sB -> u+B

Yes, you can get another sB hit before the charge special comes out, the engine seems to buffer the charging like forever. The actual hit of the sB almost looks like a cancel.

Also, I'm working on a "string of death" Shen Long combo but I'm not sure about it. Here's what I have so far:

jC -> cB -> sB -> cA -> stick to neutral -> sB (x2?) -> qcb+A (or a f+C/standing C followed by qcb+A?)

I tried this one (and a lot of versions) against Gowcaizer, and I managed to dizzy him with one version of the combo, resulting in a 100%, but again, I'm not sure, perhaps we can work something out.

COMEDISDEGNO

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Takumaji said:
I still haven't finished confirming most of my Hellstinger, Shen Long and Brider stuff... anyway, here's a Hellstinger combo that shows the strange buffering rules of VFG:

jD -> start charging d or db -> cB -> cA -> let the stick slide to neutral position -> sB -> u+B

Yes, you can get another sB hit before the charge special comes out, the engine seems to buffer the charging like forever. The actual hit of the sB almost looks like a cancel.

Also, I'm working on a "string of death" Shen Long combo but I'm not sure about it. Here's what I have so far:

jC -> cB -> sB -> cA -> stick to neutral -> sB (x2?) -> qcb+A (or a f+C/standing C followed by qcb+A?)

I tried this one (and a lot of versions) against Gowcaizer, and I managed to dizzy him with one version of the combo, resulting in a 100%, but again, I'm not sure, perhaps we can work something out.

Interesting, never noticed this...a nice addition :glee:

I'm gonna check that Shen Long combo, but i'm almost sure you can't connect a strong attack after a weak one...and then, what do you mean exatly with f+B and f+C? If i recall well Shen hasn't any command move...i may be wrong, of course.

I forgot to mention this one in my previous post:

PLATONIC TWINS

cl b+D (the normal throw with multiple knee attacks), juggle, tap P

Afaik it's the only case of juggling throw in the game.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
COMEDISDEGNO said:
I'm gonna check that Shen Long combo, but i'm almost sure you can't connect a strong attack after a weak one...and then, what do you mean exatly with f+B and f+C? If i recall well Shen hasn't any command move...i may be wrong, of course.

f+B/C is not a command move in this case, it means "walk forward and do a standing B or C", I guess I should write it like this: f,sB or something. When standing about half a character length away, Shen Long's standing B comes out as some sort of quick roundhouse move, similar to the far standing D but it hits only once. If you don't press fwd while the roundhouse comes out, it pushes you too far away for any follow-ups. At least I managed to confirm that you can connect another sA after a far sB.

I may be wrong, but according to my friend who was on 2P side and did some 1-hit block sparring with me, two quick far sB's combo as well, and this is where I want to tap in and expand the whole thing to a dizzy combo.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
I've played this for about three hours tonight, versus. And while my fighting skills demostrate the timing of an epliptic on a DDR machine I really enjoyed it.

It feels a bit like Waku in some ways, but in multiplayer, there are so many different possibilities it's a blast. I've not spent much time with it single player, but it's certainly going to get some play time now. I can't wait to tell you I can't get of those combos to work...

Any tips for the absolute beginner?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
BlackSpy said:
I've played this for about three hours tonight, versus. And while my fighting skills demostrate the timing of an epliptic on a DDR machine I really enjoyed it.

It feels a bit like Waku in some ways, but in multiplayer, there are so many different possibilities it's a blast. I've not spent much time with it single player, but it's certainly going to get some play time now. I can't wait to tell you I can't get of those combos to work...

Any tips for the absolute beginner?

IMO, the best characters for the novice are Gowcaizer, Shen Long and Brider. All of them have easy-to-use specials and offer good balance between speed, move recovery time and power.

Karin, Marion Captain Atlantis and Hellstinger are nice but can be tricky to use sometimes, specially Marion. Cap. Atlantis and Hellstinger are the two charge characters of the game, Hellstinger is one of my faves, he is quick, does good damage and can be played like Guile, you know, jumping kick -> crouching kick, start charging down -> up+kick, etc.

Shaia, Fudomaru and Kyosuke are very interesting yet difficult to use effectively. Shaia has some really weird combos and setups with that ball thingy which floats around her, she's best in keeping an opponent at distance and then close in for powerful attack. Her standard copyable move where her power ball shots three laser beams is quite nasty, I like it a lot and always copy it after beating her because it even gives a melee chara a long-range projectile attack.

Fudomaru's moves look simple at first but due to their startup time/lags, they have to be well planned. Kyosuke can summon three different elemental beings and send them out for attack, his weapon makes him a good poker but he IMO is very hard to play in close combat situations.

Jumps have a different angle than in most other fighters, that's why you have to be careful with jumping attacks at first. Also, it's important to hit with your initial jumping attack as deep as possible, very shortly before landing, else most follow-ups won't connect.

For a start, try experimenting with chain combos, they're very useful in VFG and all charas have plenty of them. Don't pull off too many specials, most of them will lag you to death if they don't hit. It's safer to combo into a dashing attack after a small chain, like this:

cA -> sB -> f,f+B

Dashing attacks do good damage and push your opponent away. They're also very nice in counters, if your opponent hits your block with anything above a light normal move, you can punish him with a quick DA, thus gaining initiative.

A word on the Platonic Twins (mid boss) and Ohga (end boss), they're both quite nasty because they not only read your moves but also have insanely damaging specials. Against P.Twins it's best to stick to projectile attacks if your chara has one, and Ohga... well, close in for a hit, then back the hell out as quickly as possible, and don't play any games on him, stick to sure-fire attacks when possible.

Last edited:

COMEDISDEGNO

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Takumaji said:

Thanks, it seems i misunderstood. I've still to check it, probably tonight.

IMO, the best characters for the novice are Gowcaizer, Shen Long and Brider...

Nice write up, as always :)

One thing i want to highlight is that, even if connecting a jump attack is tricky, due both to the angle and to the looong time the chars fly in the air, you can do pretty anything once you land a strong air attack.

A jump C\D leave the opponent stunned for hours, open for a quick string of A\Bs, a strong attack if you're close enough or a special move.
In fact, and that's where this comes useful, an in deep attack leaves enough time to walk forward for almost one second, and getting closer is the key to make most combos work.

You best bet to combo is landing a strong attack and cancelling in an easy special: controls in VFG are stiffy, and if you're a newbie it's gonna be a pain to try to cancel into a DM or out of a weak attack.

With Gowcaizer, for ex., a BnB combo may be jump D -> (walk if necessary) cr C\D -> dp+P

vagabond

NEST Puppet
Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but could anyone be so kind as to tell me how to perform Brider's DM? The only motion I could find was HCF,UF,DB B+C, but I cannot get this to work at all. Also, are the bosses playable in the MVS version? Thanks.

COMEDISDEGNO

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
vagabond said:
Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but could anyone be so kind as to tell me how to perform Brider's DM? The only motion I could find was HCF,UF,DB B+C, but I cannot get this to work at all. Also, are the bosses playable in the MVS version? Thanks.

It's a command throw, meaning it must be performed close. The motion may seem frightening at first, look closer to see it's nothing more than a hcf,uf,qcb+C - and, if i'm correct, it could be performed with hcf,uf,hcb+C too, easier if you're using a joystick.

The second answer is 'no, unless you use a debug bios'.