Violent Storm (Asia) PCB with faulty sound

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It wasn't like this when I bought it last year off ebay, but I noticed that most of the smashing/punching sound effects make a really loud crackling noise. If anyone is interested shoot me some offers. Game plays fine outside of the sound problems.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Just throwing this out there, it can be fixed and its not elaborate.

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just throwing this out there, it can be fixed and its not elaborate.

Really? I must have ran across the wrong information online. Would I have to take parts from another board or is the sound amp (or whatever it is) easily replaceable?

Oh, and thank you for mentioning this. I quite like this game...

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Really? I must have ran across the wrong information online. Would I have to take parts from another board or is the sound amp (or whatever it is) easily replaceable?

Oh, and thank you for mentioning this. I quite like this game...

How is the volume in general, has it decreased since you bought it

Your description sound like it needs to be recapped. The caps in question are in that black sound module on the board. If you have at least novice experience you can do this yourself but if you screw up you will break the module and make the board almost unrecoverable

Last edited:

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How is the volume in general, has it decreased since you bought it

Your description sound like it needs to be recapped. The caps in question are in that black sound module on the board. If you have at least novice experience you can do this yourself but if you screw up you will break the module and make the board almost unrecoverable

No, the game can be turned up pretty loud, but the the cracking noises are deafening at high volume. Is this the sound module you are talking about?
IMG_1358.jpg

Ah, seems so. Found a few things online. If anyone knows of a comprehensive guide that would be great. Here's what the sound is like on my board:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-DczHcG0LE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
That's the chip yes. You have to desolder the old caps and clean off that black crap around them. Then put new caps on.

I did my metamorphic force board about a month ago. I have a violent storm board that I am going to do soon, waiting for the caps to arrive. There is a member on KLOV that sells the cap kits (surface mount style).

jamma_konami_custom.jpg

Last edited:

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That's the chip yes. You have to desolder the old caps and clean off that black crap around them. Then put new caps on.

I did my metamorphic force board about a month ago. I have a violent storm board that I am going to do soon, waiting for the caps to arrive. There is a member on KLOV that sells the cap kits (surface mount style).

They look much nicer, but are surface mount caps harder to attach? Thanks.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I am a soldering n00b and besides a couple caps on a double dragon board I haven't done any electrical soldering. Its not that difficult just go slow. My work probably isn't the cleanest but the board plays fine, which is what matters. I have a decent hakko iron which helped too, as compared to using a radioshack one with no temp control.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Do you have a link to the cap kits or the schematic for the top of the chip? I remember seeing it somewhere but I cant find it anymore.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
No, the game can be turned up pretty loud, but the the cracking noises are deafening at high volume. Is this the sound module you are talking about?
IMG_1358.jpg

Ah, seems so. Found a few things online. If anyone knows of a comprehensive guide that would be great. Here's what the sound is like on my board:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-DczHcG0LE&feature=youtu.be

Here the klov link. There are 2 types of module, your module is in the link

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=152061&highlight=konami&page=13

Here the diagram for the cap layout

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...TgwMGYtNDg3ZTcxMGZjOTRi&hl=en&authkey=CNKztTs

Crackling sounds is related to the caps dielectric aging

And yes working with the surface mount caps is harder than working with the thru hole version. It require slightly more than novice soldering skills.

viewer.png

credit to PrairieDillo's on klov

Last edited: