Views on PETA...crazy activists or a new breed of protestors?

Alkanan

Sakura's Bank Manager
Discuss!

<small>[ February 08, 2003, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Alkanan ]</small>

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals and such (I'm far more sympathetic toward animals than I am actual people) and I think without people going to the extreme, like PETA, nobody would really care. You can't just sit around and say "Be nice to animals!", nobody responds to that. To be noticed and heard you have to "go big" as they say.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
I'm all for the rights of animals, but sometimes peta goes too far.

Came across this site with a writeup about PETA and thought it was a good read. More of a satire than anything, but it has some good points.
<a href="http://maddox.xmission.com/hatemail.cgi#PETA" target="_blank">http://maddox.xmission.com/hatemail.cgi#PETA</a>

aria

Former Moderator
I believe deeply in animal rights (particularly against cruelty), BUT

- I'm an omnivore
- I think "better to test on animals than humans"
- PETA's advertising has turned me off to the entire organization

Alkanan

Sakura's Bank Manager
Bobak:
I believe deeply in animal rights (particularly against cruelty), BUT

- I'm an omnivore
- I think "better to test on animals than humans"
- PETA's advertising has turned me off to the entire organization
They also don't publically denounce individual members of their organization that bomb or destroy public/private buildings either.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
PETA should find something else better to do with their time. I am for the ethical treatment of animals as well; but I don't agree with their methods.

Especially the vegan quacks.

Without the protein added to our diets when we emerged from the jungles onto the African plains, our brain never would've grown up to be the big and tough gray matter it is.

Cook me up a fucking BURGER.

<small>[ February 08, 2003, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Kid Aphex ]</small>

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
PETA member Bruce Friedrich, on why Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh could serve as a good example of their cause if he refused to eat meat before his execution (though he refused to turn vegetarian) (3/01):

"The tragedy of the bombing can serve to focus attention on the tragedy inflicted every day in the slaughterhouses of this country."

This is the kind of shit PETA says. I read that they sent a letter to the leader of Israel (maybe recently but I can't find the URL right now) because a donkey was killed in a bombing. They said nothing about the people who are being killed and have been killed... Just about how terrible it was that a donkey was killed in a war that it had nothing to do with. What the fuck? Do they think that the common man in Israel or Palestine have anything to do with it either?

If you want a good reason not to turn into a moral vegetarian, read this:
<a href="http://maddox.xmission.com/grill.html" target="_blank">http://maddox.xmission.com/grill.html</a>
Just read it through... Even if he's a little bit too much sometimes, the basic points are hard to refute. Harvesting combines kill, for example. The only way to get out of this is to grow your own food... But who does that?

I have nothing against vegetarians and I don't think animals should be treated cruelly, but some of these people are too much. Don't push your vegetarian shit on me when you don't even realize the most basic facts about how farms harvest crops.

<small>[ February 08, 2003, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: dmhawkmoon ]</small>

firebomber

Astra Superstar
dmhawkmoon:

If you want a good reason not to turn into a moral vegetarian, read this:
<a href="http://maddox.xmission.com/grill.html" target="_blank">http://maddox.xmission.com/grill.html</a>
Just read it through... Even if he's a little bit too much sometimes, the basic points are hard to refute. Harvesting combines kill, for example. The only way to get out of this is to grow your own food... But who does that?
The link i posted above is the hate mail that he got from his article in the link you posted. I read Maddox's site a lot and he's usually over the top, but the stuff he says about PETA, I agree with almost completely.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The problem with most people these days is they do not know all the facts. Millions of humans would be dead today if it wasn't for animal testing. I have cuspids, which are meant for tearing meat.

The science community is severly limited on what kind of testing you can do on animals nowadays. There is always a few doctors doing exploratory neuro analysis. If you've seen this, it can get pretty cruel. That kind of research is not really allowed in most places.

Lab mice play a vital role in transgenic research for human diseases. Sly's disease was discovered and cured through the use of transgenic mice. I know this, becuase i was there.

PETA is uneducated and unfocused. This world cannot exist without meat or animal testing. You can be concerned for the level of suffering, but i am sure PETA doesnt complain when modern science saves their sick asses.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
every time I eat ceral and milk, I think of the cows that are forced to stay pregnant their entire lives so that they can lactate all the time.

Eating egs makes me think of the hens that become psychotic, with their legs cobbled to help them sit 24/7, in small box cages that they can't move left, right, or forward in, so that they can push an egg out their tired and overused snatch daily.

eating meat, I think of the judas cow, that stands at the entrance of the room to lead the other cows in - the cows would never go into that room of the slaughter house where the man waits with an axe - but the cows see the judas cow, and they think it's okay, so they follow it and *hack*

All life is suffering. Humans just have it better.

SSS

neo retired
PETA is a terrorist orginization. It is no secret that the FBI is looking at their funding of groups that do illegal things (raid mink farms, etc....)

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
EvilWasabi:
every time I eat ceral and milk, I think of the cows that are forced to stay pregnant their entire lives so that they can lactate all the time.
hehe
cows lactate regardless.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Well the cows at farms I've seen don't seem to be treated that badly. They just graze in a field all day. In nature, they'd be slaughtered by something anyway. That's how nature works... You have the herbivores like cows who get eaten by the carnivores. When you think about it that way, cows don't have it so bad...

When it comes to hens and other birds, it's questionable whether they can even feel suffering. Their brains are so tiny. Their reaction to pain could be seen as more like instinct. Either way, I'd still say that their lives aren't necessarily worse this way when you consider what nature does to its animals...

L

less than joseph

Looking at peta members makes me remember my mental note about never saying "No honey you cant have a puppy" when I have kids....

aria

Former Moderator
SamuraiShodownSensei:
PETA is a terrorist orginization. It is no secret that the FBI is looking at their funding of groups that do illegal things (raid mink farms, etc....)
Well, I never trust FBI investigations -remember, this is the same organization that thought Albert Einstein was a potential enemy of the nation.

But I agree PETA is nuts. I miss the old website: People for Eating Tasty Animals.

<small>[ February 08, 2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Bobak ]</small>

Zeekade Zarathos

Krizalids Fashion Designer
I haven't posted in a while, so I figured now would be as good a time as any to give my two cents.

First, some facts about me:

1. I'm a vegan.
2. I'm a hardcore animal rights activist.
3. I hate PETA more than any hunter, meat eater or animal lab tester.

Why? Because they give good, normal, non-whiny animal rights activists a bad name. All PETA does is fundraise, whine and bitch and moan, make ridiculously stupid statements like "The Holocaust pales in comparison to the chickens dying everyday blah blah blah" that turn people off immediately to animal rights and otherwise make asses of themselves.

Now, they have done some cool things behind the scenes. They help widen cages and force the updating of facilities behind the scenes in slaughterhouses and farms. They help expose the cruelty behind circuses and rodeos and the like. HOWEVER, every single time they try and talk to the public, I cringe, because they set back the whole movement 5 years. Everytime they compare animal cruelty to 9/11 or Oklahoma or the killings of Jeffrey Dahmer, it doesn't do anything but piss people off, and rightfully so.

PETA is a bunch of morons, and this is coming from someone who doesn't eat honey because it hurts bees. I may agree with them, but I absolutely hate their methods.

<small>[ February 08, 2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Zeekade Zarathos ]</small>

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Zeekade Zarathos:
I haven't posted in a while, so I figured now would be as good a time as any to give my two cents.

First, some facts about me:

1. I'm a vegan.
2. I'm a hardcore animal rights activist.
3. I hate PETA more than any hunter, meat eater or animal lab tester.

Why? Because they give good, normal, non-whiny animal rights activists a bad name. All PETA does is fundraise, whine and bitch and moan, make ridiculously stupid statements like "The Holocaust pales in comparison to the chickens dying everyday blah blah blah" that turn people off immediately to animal rights and otherwise make asses of themselves.

Now, they have done some cool things behind the scenes. They help widen cages and force the updating of facilities behind the scenes in slaughterhouses and farms. They help expose the cruelty behind circuses and rodeos and the like. HOWEVER, every single time they try and talk to the public, I cringe, because they set back the whole movement 5 years. Everytime they compare animal cruelty to 9/11 or Oklahoma or the killings of Jeffrey Dahmer, it doesn't do anything but piss people off, and rightfully so.

PETA is a bunch of morons, and this is coming from someone who doesn't eat honey because it hurts bees. I may agree with them, but I absolutely hate their methods.
Holy cow you haven't been around forever!
Welcome back man, we need more sanity.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I don't really care for animal rights but if I see some dude beating the shit out of a dog or something I'm gonna slap the motherfucker.

With that said, I think a lot more people would be interested in animal rights if it wasn't for PETA. Those motherfucks make it embarrassing for anyone else to express concern for animals (people who would otherwise do it in a far more productive, non insane manner). Because right now when you hear someone say they are for animal rights you automatically place them amongst those PETA fags.

By the way, I eat fucking babies all the time.,,,,,,,,BABY CHICKENS THAT IS!!!!! And there isn't a damn thing those fucking roosters can do about it! HAHAHAHA SUCKERRRRRS!

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
there is cruel , and there is science.

poking with a needle is different than starving and beating with a belt. Most researchers do not like hurting animals as much as the next "human".

If you wanna steer clear of meat, that is your own thing. I will only argue against vegens when they start throwing silly excuses and arguements out.

Alkanan

Sakura's Bank Manager
So far all the votes have been anti-peta and the arguments are pretty well justified.

My opinion: PETA can eat a bag of hell.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I'll be the first to admit that I hate beef with a passion, but I love chicken and seafood.

PETA's some some good things (such as protesting animal cruelty in the rodeo and the circus) but most of their antics are really hurting more than helping. I believe in animal medical testing but not for cosmetic reasons. They just need to get their act together before everything goes to hell for them.

But I did think the whole Victoria's Secret fashion show incident was entertaining.