videogamesnewyork and stores that carry mvs

p3lagic

n00b
Recently visited the store and was amazed. So much stuff and they actually had some mvs carts for sale at *reasonable* prices. Didn't pick anything up though. Just curious what other brick and mortar stores carry mvs stuff. Bonus for anything that's in the bay area.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
im actually surprised to hear they had some decent prices. every convention ive been to that they have vendored there prices have been hella high.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
convention prices > normal prices.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
VGNY is really hit or miss on pricing, but their selection is pretty awesome.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
the Retro Games Plus stores in CT have some MVS, the one by my house even has an AES Mag Lord. Common titles, but they arent too expensive and are there. There are some that are even identified as boots and priced accordingly.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I used to check their website from time to time but they rarely update anything.
Since I'm not in NY area, I gave up long time ago.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Lost Ark in Greensboro NC has a handful of mvs games at any given time, as well as a few cps2 and some other random pcb's like Arcana Heart. I'm kicking myself for not buying blazing star there a while back, can't remember the price, but I do remember thinking it was very reasonable.

they also have an arcade in the back with 25 or so candy cabs and a few pins, so imo they win the "#1 brick and mortar used game store award" ;)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I bought Neo Turf Masters on NGPC last time I was there :D

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Lost Ark in Greensboro NC has a handful of mvs games at any given time, as well as a few cps2 and some other random pcb's like Arcana Heart. I'm kicking myself for not buying blazing star there a while back, can't remember the price, but I do remember thinking it was very reasonable.

they also have an arcade in the back with 25 or so candy cabs and a few pins, so imo they win the "#1 brick and mortar used game store award" ;)

Oh nice! Glad to see something that's rather close to where I live now. (well relatively speaking)

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Headed up to NYC this weekend, might have to check out videogamesnewyork.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Game Force in Boulder, Colorado has MVS games, mostly kits. They also have AES, Neo CD and NGPC. Reasonable prices too.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Can't comment on Neo Geo games since I wasn't on the lookout for that stuff at the time I visited, but I found everything else to be really overpriced. NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. all well above ebay prices. For example I don't recall a single NES game under $15 which was pretty absurd considering some of the games were common, bottom of the barrel shovelware.

The store clerk on the floor was also really inattentive, talking up a random girl who walked in for a solid 30-45 minutes and literally giving her a history of the video game consoles and his own life experiences in gaming. I came in with money to spend and he could barely be bothered to turn away from her and help me... I found an NES-to-Fami adapter behind glass and asked to see it, he insisted it wasn't one (it was), obviously because he didn't wanna go get keys and have his conversation interrupted. I asked a couple of other things, same short treatment, bought a needed Genesis cable and left. Overall no desire to return due to not a great experience and prices too high across the board, although that may be partially due to location.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
only place here in my town where i saw mvs games for sale was retro city games. they had some good prices. picked up a big label upgrage for shock troopers 2nd squad. shiny label with serial number intact for 30 bucks.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
...because you were cock blocking him?

LOL cockblocking someone haranguing a poor girl who walked in just to look around? Sure, okay. You totally figured it out.

But let's say I was (if it takes him that f'in long to seal the deal, he blew it)... in the 45~ minutes I was there browsing the store, I only approached the store EMPLOYEE (working and being paid on the clock) 2-3 times for basic assistance. Real fucking rude of me for politely approaching the hired staff and wanting to support the place, what was I thinking. I'm sure the owner of the place really appreciates an idiot employee driving away business in an area of Manhattan with astronomical rent.

edit: I know you enjoy your trolling, but I was giving an honest assessment of what my store visit was like when I went there for anyone who might find that information useful.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
LOL cockblocking someone haranguing a poor girl who walked in just to look around? Sure, okay. You totally figured it out.

But let's say I was (if it takes him that f'in long to seal the deal, he blew it)... in the 45~ minutes I was there browsing the store, I only approached the store EMPLOYEE (working and being paid on the clock) 2-3 times for basic assistance. Real fucking rude of me for politely approaching the hired staff and wanting to support the place, what was I thinking. I'm sure the owner of the place really appreciates an idiot employee driving away business in an area of Manhattan with astronomical rent.

edit: I know you enjoy your trolling, but I was giving an honest assessment of what my store visit was like when I went there for anyone who might find that information useful.

new york is a rude gritty place. if you can't hang stick with ebay!

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Manhattan hasn't been gritty in like two decades. Mostly soft, commercialized, upscale and full of transplants, rich kids from Long Island, hipsters, etc. The average New Yorker doesn't even have the rough and tumble New York accent anymore. Between NY, DC, Seattle, Chicago, LA, San Fran, etc. they all look, act and sound the same.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Where'd you compile this data from? reddit.com?

New York is a tough place. Gamestores are no exception.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Between NY, DC, Seattle, Chicago, LA, San Fran, etc. they all look, act and sound the same.
Ban plz, you must be smoking rocks or haven't actually visited said cities. They've each got their flavor that makes them unique. LA is absolutely nothing like NYC. Chicago is nothing like SF.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
^The young professionals who freely move between these cities are very much alike.

Ok I'll watch my back for stroller-pushing nannies and thirsty game store employees.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Manhattan hasn't been gritty in like two decades. Mostly soft, commercialized, upscale and full of transplants, rich kids from Long Island, hipsters, etc. The average New Yorker doesn't even have the rough and tumble New York accent anymore. Between NY, DC, Seattle, Chicago, LA, San Fran, etc. they all look, act and sound the same.

Really? Have you lived there? Because I did, for the first 15 years of my life. Your observations are horrendously incorrect.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Really? Have you lived there? Because I did, for the first 15 years of my life. Your observations are horrendously incorrect.

Yeah? I live here now and have since 1984. When was the first 15 years of your life since you left? Cause NY changed A LOT since the 90s. You really don't know that NY has become one of the most expensive and gentrified cities on the planet? You have to go deep into South Brooklyn (Dyker, Bensonhurst), East Queens and pockets of the Bronx like Little Italy or Throggs to hear the dying Rosie O Donnell accent... or into Staten Island, City Island and parts of Jersey I guess. A prime example is Williamsburg where most of the working class Irish/Italian people were driven out by the skyrocketing rents caused by waves of trust fund hipsters and people working downtown. Neighborhoods with mixed populations around Prospect Park like Fort Greene, Bushwick and BedStuy are now homogenously upper class transplants with money to throw around.

Edit: Don't really wanna go on about the particulars of NY since it's way off topic. PM me or something.

Last edited: