VideoGames NY is like paradise!!

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
PS1, Dreamcast and some of the rarer stuff such as AES, MVS and protos the prices were on point. .

No dude they are really not, I have no idea where you get this idea or when you were last there. Half their MVS games are boots too lmao

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
No dude they are really not, I have no idea where you get this idea or when you were last there. Half their MVS games are boots too lmao

Not going to argue your opinion is your opinion. I picked up a few things below ebay prices that day so I'm satisfied.

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
haha you so work there, which one are you

Lol if I live in NJ you think I work in Manhattan for a job that maybe pays $12.00 an hour if you are lucky with no pension, benefits, union rep. Etc. No thanks. No I'm not Asian, No I'm not the skinny white guy in the trench coat and I'm not the blonde female with tattoos on her fingers with gauges in her ears. Only three people I saw there when I went.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Their prices for used games are retarded, store is always full of hipsters buying NES games at 300% markup along with a retron. Kinda wish I thought of it

oh my fuckin god

That was my experience there too. I was looking for NES, SNES and Genesis at the time. Everything was wayyy overpriced. Bought a Genesis cable and never went back. The prices are too absurd.

Koop

n00b
Some of the staff there are pretty incompetent to boot... I recall last time I was there the kid working the counter didn't know there were multiple models of the Genesis, or really even what it was come to think of it.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
The fact that they carry panels and arcade parts is one of the only reasons I would ever go back there.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I'm amazed anyone can make any money in any store, and doesn't get lambasted for gouging - that's basically the model for any physical store, as a customer you're getting paying for the privilege of being able to walk into a store, and look at what you're buying. As a business owner a store front is a massive overhead. Only way you'll challenge that cost/price it is by having competition. If there's no other physical stores, then there's no competition for the kind of service in a particular niche.

The amazing/promising aspect of this that the lure/regard of games as a culture is big enough to get enough people+money through the door to make the business viable (whether they're idiots in our eyes or not), and there's enough stock to keep the business going. For everyone else who has no need/want for a physical store/community there's still online communities like this, or ebay.

Last edited:

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
I'm amazed anyone can make any money in any store, and doesn't get lambasted for gouging - that's basically the model for any physical store, as a customer you're getting paying for the privilege of being able to walk into a store, and look at what you're buying. As a business owner a store front is a massive overhead. Only way you'll challenge that cost/price it is by having competition. If there's no other physical stores, then there's no competition for the kind of service in a particular niche.

The amazing/promising aspect of this that the lure/regard of games as a culture is big enough to get enough people+money through the door to make the business viable (whether they're idiots in our eyes or not), and there's enough stock to keep the business going. For everyone else who has no need/want for a physical store/community there's still online communities like this, or ebay.

You're in the UK so I assume haven't been to the store we're talking about, there are normal "sorta high" brick & mortar prices, like what you'd find at a Play n Trade or something (USA chain that sells retro games), and then there are obvious scumbag ripoff prices and this place is definitely the latter. I mean I understand why they do it, most of their clientele thinks old video games really are mostly worth a fortune, they're located in not only a hipster neighborhood but a touristy hipster neighborhood. Hipsters from all over the world come to this neighborhood to feel like original hipsters from the 70's or whatever. It's an amazing crop of half-smart (vaguely knows about lots of the stuff in there) but half-dumb (doesn't know what it's worth) people to rip off so they can get away with charging what they do. A lot of the people who shop there are used to paying $200 for a t-shirt so they're OK with paying crazy prices for what's essentially fashionable furniture to them, it's a carefully curated "lifestyle" boutique. You pay the premium to look knowledgeable without actually doing the work of a real fan.

Last edited:

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
You pay the premium to look knowledgeable without actually doing the work of a real fan.

True, and you're right I've no general idea of the state of stores available in US. Presumably 'paradise' is an overstatement from what I had seen on google... But is that worse than no store/physical presence? Are there any other stores about it ny that do a better job?

I suppose it's just a shame there's not a decent museum/display for this kind of stuff in a place like NY - after which hipster customers may be better served by some kind of repro-gift-store, leaving the original stuff alone... or at least arming them with some decent knowledge and going some way to making them a genuine fan if they then go online to find out more...

Last edited:

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
I suppose it's just a shame there's not a decent museum/display for this kind of stuff in a place like NY

People in NYC for the most part don't give a shit about old games beyond a passing interest, entirely wrong side of the country for really hardcore "nerdy" stuff. It's a bit looked down on here to be seriously interested in something that isn't books/music/film/fashion. The people who do play games seriously mostly focus on current stuff.

Are there any other stores about it ny that do a better job?

Yes but not in Manhattan, aside from a place a few blocks away from VGNY called 8-bit and up which is the real heart of NYC retro gaming. It's more of a place to hang out and talk than to buy anything though because they never get new (old) stock, so the shelves are stocked with stuff nobody wants. When they do, their prices are reasonable and they give you a discount if you're a regular. Wonderful people there.

Last edited:

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
True, and you're right I've no general idea of the state of stores available in US. Presumably 'paradise' is an overstatement from what I had seen on google... But is that worse than no store/physical presence? Are there any other stores about it ny that do a better job?

I said paradise because it is literally the first store that I walked into in over a decade that reminded me of a game store ran by the Japanese before the Internet existed. They had everything you could think of and its imported versions as well. Even if the prices are off (wasn't for me when I went) it was a great experience to search through the games and see things I haven't seen in person since the local import store closed almost 15 years ago. It was like time was frozen since 1998 (minus the new items that they have now lol) and that in itself was a unique experience of nostalgia for me. That alone is worth walking in and buying a game once in awhile.

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
It looks frozen in time for a reason, it's the same expensive obscure hardware that's been sitting on the shelves for a decade+ because everyone who wants that stuff knows where to get it and not be taken for a ride, only thing that changes is the selection of carts and discs. I've seen many, many discussions about this place on forums and yours are the first posts I've ever seen not just defending their pricing but outright claiming their prices are reasonable and below ebay (wtf). you sound like you're shilling dude

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
It looks frozen in time for a reason, it's the same expensive obscure hardware that's been sitting on the shelves for a decade+ because everyone who wants that stuff knows where to get it and not be taken for a ride, only thing that changes is the selection of carts and discs. I've seen many, many discussions about this place on forums and yours are the first posts I've ever seen not just defending their pricing but outright claiming their prices are reasonable and below ebay (wtf). you sound like you're shilling dude

Still a good experience to walk in and see even if you don't buy anything. The three items that I bought that day I had price checked on my phone while I was in the store. I came in under on all three items by a few dollars of what was on eBay, thus saying the prices were on par with eBay. Again only looked up the items I wanted. That is all. Didn't price check the whole store. Just suggesting a place for people to check out when they are in the area as you do t see a lot of stores like this anymore. They might want something that they see and are willing to pay more for it.

Last edited:

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
Still a good experience to walk in and see even if you don't buy anything. The three items that I bought that day I had price checked on my phone while I was in the store. I came in under on all three items by a few dollars of what was on eBay, thus saying the prices were on par with eBay. Again only looked up the items I wanted. That is all. Didn't price check the whole store. Just suggestin a place for people to check out when they are in the area. They might want something that they see and are willing to pay more for it.

it's amazing they manage to come in under ebay and turn a profit in a neighborhood with some of the most expensive rent on the face of the earth. they must be running a charity!

or you got took and won't admit it

or you got some stake in them and launched this brilliant thread to get some big tymerz in to spend spend spend

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
it's amazing they manage to come in under ebay and turn a profit in a neighborhood with some of the most expensive rent on the face of the earth. they must be running a charity!

or you got took and won't admit it

or you got some stake in them and launched this brilliant thread to get some big tymerz in to spend spend spend

Paid 70.00 each for 2 Neo Geo X mega pack vol. 1 Brand New and $70.00 for a NOS samurai Sporits 2 AES. You tell me where I am even finding that stuff cheaper let alone a NOS AES game in store. You are a sour dude. There was no ill intentions with this post. Stop turning it into an argument when you don't know what I bought or paid yet act like you know it all. I proved myself and the prices thus proving you wrong. Have a good day.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you're patient you can score both of those items for cheaper. Why you would want a mega pack is a question for another day. If you wanted them right then and there and couldn't wait, then you didn't overpay too much, maybe $30 bucks total. That's worth it for instant gratification. Just keep in mind, that just because a homecart has a seal, doesn't make it new.

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
Exactly you were wrong and now are trying to refocus on something else. Typical response from some of you around here.

I focused on the funny part instead of the figure you pulled out of your ass... never seen a non-sports AES game there at under $100 :thevt:

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
DecepticonZero eBay has them from 85 up to 160 for new mega packs so me seeing them cheaper then eBay I picked them up. I wanted them because I never got a chance to buy them back when GameStop sold them. As for the seal it hasn't been broken and doesnt have the white underneath of it. Still all black holding tight in really great condition. As for AES games never being under 100 there, the two used samurai spirits 2 were selling for 49.99 and one had a snap lock case. The king of fighters 98 was more then 100 but I didn't catch the price. So dosdemon you are in queens take the subway there and prove me wrong. Just because you've never seen an AES game for less then 100 doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm sure they don't constantly update their prices on everything as they have so much stuff there and it isn't organized well. The games I bought also aren't ones people come in for often if at all. Maybe I just got lucky but you are ignorant to tell me I didn't get what I got for the price I paid.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
DecepticonZero eBay has them from 85 up to 160 for new mega packs so me seeing them cheaper then eBay I picked them up. I wanted them because I never got a chance to buy them back when GameStop sold them. As for the seal it hasn't been broken and doesnt have the white underneath of it. Still all black holding tight in really great condition. As for AES games never being under 100 there, the two used samurai spirits 2 were selling for 49.99 and one had a snap lock case. The king of fighters 98 was more then 100 but I didn't catch the price. So dosdemon you are in queens take the subway there and prove me wrong. Just because you've never seen an AES game for less then 100 doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm sure they don't constantly update their prices on everything as they have so much stuff there and it isn't organized well. The games I bought also aren't ones people come in for often if at all. Maybe I just got lucky but you are ignorant to tell me I didn't get what I got for the price I paid.

I'm not questioning your purchases, to be quite honest IDGAF how you spend your money. I'm just saying that if you waited a bit they can be had for cheaper is all.

Also, before your time here you could actually buy rolls of seals. Apply them to a nice condition game and suddenly it's new. I'm not saying they did that, but as someone who is buying homecarts, you should be educated and aware that that can happen. Ive bought a few games that were NOS with good seals that were clearly opened before. I didnt care cause they were all $50 games, but it goes to show you that it can happen. Never pay a premium for a NOS game from a source like a used game store.

Last edited:

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
Still all black holding tight

oh god keep going

Yeah dude ok you've convinced me that known insane price gouger VGNY sells NOS AES games at charity pricing. really, you did. gonna go there right now and load up on stuff to flip, it's an undiscovered goldmine right in the east village!

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
If you're patient you can score both of those items for cheaper. Why you would want a mega pack is a question for another day. If you wanted them right then and there and couldn't wait, then you didn't overpay too much, maybe $30 bucks total. That's worth it for instant gratification. Just keep in mind, that just because a homecart has a seal, doesn't make it new.

Mega Pack case is great. You can use it to replace broken AES snapcase

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
oh god keep going

Yeah dude ok you've convinced me that known insane price gouger VGNY sells NOS AES games at charity pricing. really, you did. gonna go there right now and load up on stuff to flip, it's an undiscovered goldmine right in the east village!

Well until you do and can actually prove me wrong then shut the fuck up already. Your ranting and raving about how much the place sucks and how you know what they charge yet when was the last time you were there? Did you see the games I bought for sale? How much were they? You don't have these answers so why argue? Other people on here had some good things to say. You came and a few people agreed. Everyone has a different opinion. People aren't stupid because they don't agree. What your posting is ignorant at best. What are you proving?