Video game rage

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Alright, fess up. Who gets it, and what is the worst thing you ever did when you got pissed off by a video game?

To be honest, I no longer get "game rage." I used to have it but I quickly dropped it like a bad habit. My theory is... if games cause you stress, you're taking it a little too seriously.

I know people who claim they break controllers and shit due to game rage, I mean, seriously, WTF is that? That's pretty sad... and scary.

But... I know we're all different... so... post your game rage stories here

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
I've broken controllers before. Its a bad habit that I need to get rid of.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I broke a shit load of SNES controllers when I was little and I threw my SNES against the wall once... that's pretty much the worst that I've ever done.

Now occasionally I might drop a controller down or something, but generally I'm too damn lazy and too caring of my stuff to do anything when I'm pissed.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The year, 1994..the game..Super CastleVania 4...fighting Death before the final battle...

I died at least 9 times against him, (thank god when you hit continue, you will end up exactly where you left off)...

What did I do in my rage? Scream in fury and cuss the shit out of the tv so bad, that my neighbor (This was in an apartment complex) was banging on the wall, and I cussed her bitch ass out too....

Parents got envolved...wasn't really that pretty...over Super CV4...god bless it all....

So the only last resort...leave the game paused and walk away from it for at least 2 to 3 hours..

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
i was at some arcade and i was at some mvs cab playing last blade and i had like 15 wins and some vetran asian guy comes and he is like "lets go" so i pick Kaede and he sis moriya, and he is the cheapest ass in the world, he beats me cause all he does is stand at the end of the level and and just does the strong slash, so after i lose i start spazing and cussing and the arcade manager is like " can you leave" so before i leave i kick the marvel vs capcom 2 machine and break the coin slot and run out.

and i used to always brake controllers :o

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: abdul ]</small>

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I remember being at my friends house when he died in some game, can't even remember,on the Genesis. He threw the controller at the TV. It went into the TV. So he broke his genesis controller and his tv in one fell swoop.

I personally can never get that angry. The most I do is just drop the controller to the ground when I stand up after giving up on a game.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I might shout the f'nheimer if my frustration boils over, but I've never broken anything in anger. Folks who do that need to attend some anger management seminars annoyed

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Shadowland ]</small>

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
i got so angry the once i ripped my dreamcast vibration pack out AND BIT THE FUCKER until the anger left me. it has some wicked teeth marks still, lol

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I knew someone who used to pretty much bust everything he owned out of rage.

He threw Mario 64 throught a closed window once... Pretty damn funny. Everything he owns seems to make a rattling sound too.

He's broken shit loads of controllers Dremacast, Playstation 2 and Nintendo 64, along with some games if I remember correctly.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
There are only 2 cases of video game rage for me:

1. Street Fighter 2 on the Genesis. I mean, couldn't the fucking game understand I only had power over 3 buttons at a time (with no remapping capabilities, who would have thunk?!)?

Shuriken'd game 20 feet across room against wall, cheap genesis cart case cracked open, game still playable, later traded in at Babbages for credit toward PSX.

2. Killer Instinct 2 on the N64. Not sure why, but I guess it was the fact the game sucked so bad I didn't care. However, despite being shuriken'd, game did not break open, because Nintendo makes a superior "hardware" compared to Sega. This is to protect inferior software.

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
I remember one of my friends way back in the day throwing his NES right out the 2nd floor window, and more recently another kid getting pissed off at his PSX and smashing it, sending it right to the graveyard. I've personally bitten one or two controllers when I was younger, now I just leave it for a number of hours or days, then turn it back on. Usually I'm so much calmer that the point of difficulty is like nothing at all lol.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Steve:
Alright, fess up. Who gets it, and what is the worst thing you ever did when you got pissed off by a video game?

To be honest, I no longer get "game rage." I used to have it but I quickly dropped it like a bad habit. My theory is... if games cause you stress, you're taking it a little too seriously.

I know people who claim they break controllers and shit due to game rage, I mean, seriously, WTF is that? That's pretty sad... and scary.

I will just say this. Nintendo makes a Great wireless controller.

BUT the are bad for teh Rage.

Wavebirds and monkey ball 1 or 2 does not mix well..

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
One time I was playing some PC RPG. It was pretty hard, and I guess I was dying repeatedly in the same spot. After an hour or so of frustration, my tension rose to the point that I pushed the eject button on my CD-ROM drive, grabbed the disk and sent it flying across the room like a frisbee.

The disk cracked, and I couldn't play the game anymore. I felt pretty foolish later on.

After that, I apparently didn't learn my lesson on breaking my own property. Enter Virtua Fighter 4... this was the original release, and at the time I didn't have an arcade stick or anything. The Dual Shock 2 is not the best controller in the world for fighting games.

Anyway, the game got incredibly hard higher up in Kumite mode, and I think I got cheaped really badly after losing several matches in a row. The Dual Shock 2 got spiked into the tile floor at 20 or 30 miles per hour... it cracked open along the corner, but it still worked. I had to get another controller though.

Haven't smashed anything since, if I get to that point again I just turn off the system and do something else.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Bluevoodu:
Steve:

I will just say this. Nintendo makes a Great wireless controller.

BUT the are bad for teh Rage.

Wavebirds and monkey ball 1 or 2 does not mix well..
Haha I actually tend to take care of them more than my others because the are a work of art :p Plus you don't have to worry about tearing it away from the system.

Eric

Fight On!,
I've been playing NCAA Football 2004 as of late, and let me just put it this way:

I yell at my virtual players about as much as I would their real counter-parts.

Damn it all! I just want a decent secondary!

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001601" target="_blank">well one time i got kinda mad at this one ngpc game....(click)</a>

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the dreamcast controller has seen the floor numerous times, them vmus go flying.

my nes and snes controllers have bite marks in em, and my genny ones would, but those were harder to bite.

i threw my n64 across the room once, same with mario64, nothin damaged.

i threw my psx dual shock onto the ground so hard one time the thing wouldnt stop rumbling and it eventually broke.

i was plaing ff1 one time on my mvs cab, and at the time i had my broken ankle, and i was getting so pissed off at that fucking cheap mofo raiden, i was shaking the cab all around and then attacked the sides with one of my crutches untill the crutch broke.

i guess i would say im pretty calm. and the only thing that broke, was a sony product

Huxley

Fu'un-Ken Master
Soniku17:
I broke a shit load of SNES controllers when I was little and I threw my SNES against the wall once... that's pretty much the worst that I've ever done.
I have the best 3rd-party SNES pad ever. Much like yourself I broke it in a fit of rage, only to discover that it just snapped back in to place again! The thing is almost broken in half, but no matter how much I try to snap it, it just mends itself like magic.

Honestly, all pads should be built with anti-rage in mind. So we can break them, stamp on them, throw them at walls and they'll always return to normal.

Igniz

Island Native,
One time , me and my friend were playing MvC , and man was he cheap. Picks megaman , and then just throws fire balls the whole match. He won , and then he talks some major trash like "I guess i'm just better than you" and i lost it and threw the controller at him.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I typically keep from destroying things or attempting to when playing videogames. Yep, I might yell at something, but I don't cross the line and throw controllers around. My true test of not going overboard was:

Playing Ninja Gaiden 1 NES, finally making it past the "Hell" levels (Level 6 section 2 and 3) only to die at the Boss and have to repeat the entire level 6 again to face him again. Nothing broken here. Beat that bum, too.

Playing Rage of the Dragons and playing until I beat Johann more than once, and not once have I broken something. The title takes on a new meaning when you fight Johann. You feel the Rage of the Dragons raising.

Below The Radar

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Let's see.

I kicked my Master System like a soccer ball when playing Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. Mr. Big/Joe Pesci's turrets just kept shooting me no matter where I went, no matter how alert I thought I was.

And when fighting Sigma on Megaman X5, I knew my streak on beating Megaman games was over now. He almost got me to the point of pushing my TV set on the floor.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I used to hit controllers and stuff, but these days I take really good care of them. Last time I remember really slamming a controller was with Mario 64, but nothing to bad.

My brother on the other hand hasn't stopped. He pissed me off because he basically destroyed my PS2 controller. It still works, but when you hold it it feels like its about to fall apart. There's also shit rattling around in it. It drives me nuts. And the worse thing is, he doesn't give a shit about anyone elses property, and he is like 3 years older than me. Fucking baby. All he ever plays are Madden games and shit like that, and if he messes up at all, he freaks out.

On a somewhat related note, that same Duel Shock 2 had a chunk of the rubber on the analog stick bitten off by a retarded little eight year old. Well, he's not actually retarded, more like just a spoiled little brat. It really sucks because I like to keep my stuff in mint condition, especially the controllers that come with my systems, and now this one looks like total shit.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Igniz:
One time , me and my friend were playing MvC , and man was he cheap. Picks megaman , and then just throws fire balls the whole match. He won , and then he talks some major trash like "I guess i'm just better than you" and i lost it and threw the controller at him.
yeah I almost did this once too while playing cvs2 against a friend. But I grabbed the cord right before it would've hit him. I've thrown around several controllers during competition. When I get angry I tend to throw then up, that way they'll get less damaged. Although one time it hit the ceiling, bookshelf, then floor. And it rattled after that. But lately I've had no one to play against so thus no anger turning into destruction of my own products. I did get pissed off playing dracula X the other day. But I didn't do anything besides turn it off. I don't have a battery in the system so it dosen't save crying

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Good question. They seem durable enough. Not that I've put them through the big major test(that is, true aggressive controller chucking). Still, it looks like they were made to take the drop and impact given they even built in safety release chord on the things so that a flying controller or tripped cord (which can also make controllers fly) wouldn't accidentally yank the system off the table.

But according to general play-testing (non throwing), it's definitely a match for the PS2 controller, at least. It's analogues and click analogues are very durable too. Considering the amount of time I put into Gunvalkyrie.

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Kirk Foiden ]</small>