Vertical vs horizontal which do you prefer?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
What do you find more enjoyable vertical or horizontal shoot em ups? As a kid I would of said horizontal as my introduction to shooters was r type on Turbografx and lightening force on genesis.

However these days I play a lot more vertical shooters then horizontal. Games like raiden, aero fighters series, twin hawk, truxton, and fire shark.

Obviously if your a shoot em up junkie like myself you will play both. However if you could only pick one or the other which would it be?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I prefer horizontal STG games, because I like not only to dodge bullets, but also immovable grounds, floors and ceilings around my ship, which you won't find often in vertical STGs. They allow the designers to create a more compelling world around your avatar, too, with a thick atmosphere. Horizontals are also more varied in my opinion, like when they offer portions of vertical scrolling as well, without changing the horizontal orientation of your ship/character. For example in the 3rd stage of R-Type III or partly in every stage of Andro Dunos.

Verticals are usually strictly one-way with no immovable obstacles, a variation may be ground targets, like introduced by Xevious, later refined in Layer Section, it's not often used, though. The catch in Verticals is mostly a complex scoring system, intriguing game play elements like in Silvergun, Ikaruga and ASOII or your huge room to move, while dodging bullets of different speed. It's called "depth" but more often than not it's just distracting and forces you to concentrate on a system rather than an immersive world. It's rewarding to get into such a system, but it's probably not the kind of reward I look for in a game.

Side note: It may sound strange at first, because it's the same genre, but not only there's a huge difference coming with direction in an STG, it's also very dividing for players. There are kind of crossover titles like Progear or Sengoku Ace, which can count as a try to transfer a vertical STG into a horizontal orientation, or conversely games like Image Fight or Formation Armed F apply horizontal characteristics within a vertical environment. Well, maybe the best of both worlds are axonometric games like Zaxxon, Viewpoint and Under Defeat.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I prefer the good ones.

Don't care it's it's horizontal or tate'd. Oliverclaude has a very good point concerning the depth of the horizontal ones. Verticals are often more appealing as they are lesser complex to play.

It's all about the game and not the orientation of the screen.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I prefer the good ones.

Don't care it's it's horizontal or tate'd. Oliverclaude has a very good point concerning the depth of the horizontal ones. Verticals are often more appealing as they are lesser complex to play.

It's all about the game and not the orientation of the screen.

+1
If the game is good then I’m all in. Horizontal shooters, Vertical shooters, Isometric shooters; it’s all good if the gameplay holds me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I like both but my favorites are horizontal. Thunder Force III/IV , Lords of Thunder, Hyper Duel, Tengai, Rtype, Pulstar, Android Assault just to name a few. I like what OC said about how the environment interacts with the ship. Dodging fire pits, falling rocks, etc while evading bullets might be the reason why I gravitate towards hori shooters more. This also happens in vert shooters but just not as much. It's more you just trying to dodge a million bullets on the screen.

That being said there are some real pretty vert shooters. Some vert shooters are straight up eye candy. DoDonpachi, Battle Garegga, Esprade are fun to play, have breathtaking backgrounds, and wonderful music. Spriggan and Musha are two of my favorites in this category.

Kind of hard to knock on one or the other but I lean towards hori.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I like both but my favorites are horizontal. Thunder Force III/IV , Lords of Thunder, Hyper Duel, Tengai, Rtype, Pulstar, Android Assault just to name a few. I like what OC said about how the environment interacts with the ship. Dodging fire pits, falling rocks, etc while evading bullets might be the reason why I gravitate towards hori shooters more. This also happens in vert shooters but just not as much. It's more you just trying to dodge a million bullets on the screen.

That being said there are some real pretty vert shooters. Some vert shooters are straight up eye candy. DoDonpachi, Battle Garegga, Esprade are fun to play, have breathtaking backgrounds, and wonderful music. Spriggan and Musha are two of my favorites in this category.

Kind of hard to knock on one or the other but I lean towards hori.

Thunder force iv ( lightening force) blew me away as a kid. I didn’t know the genre existed until my grandpa rented it for me one weekend. I think I was about 5 at the time, I’m also a big fan of spriggan on pc engine, you have good taste in games Razo.

Do you guys think vertical shooters tend to be easier overall then most horizontal? Obviously each game has a different difficulty but I breeze through a lot of vertical shoot em ups and most of the shooters I suck at are horizontal.. ( r type 3 and rayxamber 2 come to mind, you have that stage in r type 3 where you have to go backwards through a maze!)

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
My people want to know if it's possible make Viewpoint diagonally oriented?

Sanx in adblance.

iu

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I tend to prefer Horizontal due to side scrolling action games like Mega Man being my favorite genre of game. It's easier for me to recognize the enemy patterns in this orientation. Like others have said, though, really depends on the game. I don't know if I'd say one perspective is more or less difficult than others.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I haven't played a ton of shoot em ups, but I seem to gravitate strongly towards horizontal with my favorites being UN Squadron (arcade), Blazing Star, and Gradius (the series, at least the ones I've actually played).

I think the real answer is that I need to play more vertical games. Gekirindan was definitely dope.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If the game is good then I’m all in. Horizontal shooters, Vertical shooters, Isometric shooters; it’s all good if the gameplay holds me.

Fair point NiNjA, but that goes without saying. I also play Capcom versus fighters next to SNK titles from that genre, but I still prefer the latter. For casual players games from both developers might appear the same, but once you play SNK more, you'll spot the differences instantly. The question is rather, are those differences reason enough to justify a preference?

Vertical STG masters from Toaplan explained in interviews how difficult it was for them to design Hellfire and Zero Wing, because of the horizontal orientation of both titles:

Uemura Tatsuya about Hellfire as quoted from shmuplations.

We started this game because we wanted to see if Toaplan could make a great horizontal STG, too. But it was a series of one hardship after the other, and we experienced firsthand that the "exhilaration" Toaplan always seeked in its games couldn’t be achieved in a horizontal format.

I think horizontal STG requires a different kind of appeal. You need the technical know-how for dealing with terrain, and various other different game design ideas to make it interesting. We were inexperienced with everything and it was a real struggle, ...

So, while the differences between designing vertical and horizontal STGs are a fact, they're also, at least in my opinion, carried over into the gameplay of each orientation. I'd risk the assumption, that not only a designer, but also a pro vertical STG player won't be as good while playing a horizontal STG, and vice versa, because on such a high skill level, subtle differences become humongous. Hence it's not unusual that at some point those differences can turn into a preference for one of either orientations.

About preferences as quoted from shmuplations.

Yuge Masahiro: I really like Xevious and Star Force, and as you can tell, my favorite games are vertical STGs.

Uemura Tatsuya: ...I love vertical STG. Horizontal scrolling STG isn’t really my thing.

Of course it's all about the game, but the orientation in STGs is definitely a vital part of what's all bout them.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
I played a lot of Gradius & Lifeforce/Salamander (alternating V/H) on my NES growing up, but the TurboGrafx-16 introduced me to many vertical shooters which I began to favor I guess.

Super Star Soldier is probably my all time favorite, following Blazing Lasers, Raiden, Nexzr: Summer Carnival '93, add Axelay when I hit SNES era. Further back in Atari era, Megamania & River Raid probably helped shape me more into a vertical orientation.

At the arcades Sky Shark and Ajax were fun. I never got good with Sky Shark though, but I used to watch a neighbor at this local diner who could beat it on one life/quarter which I was impressed with. Nice you can play it with MAME now on the old PC in ~original form, same with Rygar which was a quarter-thief (I now realize the arcade operator had set it to max difficulty, you were dead in 5 seconds with armies of enemies dropping at every turn, passing stage 1 was a Herculean task few could do...).

With many other great horizontal shooters like Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunders, Air Zonk (w/ great chiptunes!), Aero Blasters, R-Type, Sinistron, etc. I enjoyed, I would qualify that I lean on favoring vertical form. Great games are great games.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
With the obvious caveat that I'll play whatever is good, with all else being equal I'd pick horizontal. I used to think it was stylistic differences that made me prefer horizontal games, but even with Cave bullet hell games, I'd rather play Death Smiles than most of the vertical ones. Speaking of which, where is the Akai Katana Steam port? My 360 version is long gone.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I used to prefer horizontal but now it doesn’t matter.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
I prefer my shooters on a vert screen.

Gives me more of a chance to follow the bullets coming at me, also whenever I play a hori I always crash in to the scenery!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I like both and I don't find one or the other is better in play. I do find vertical looks pretty good on a big enough hori display though so the barrier of having to flip my screen or having it look shit isn't there anymore.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'm vertical born and raised, but there are some hori's that I really like, like Progear, Akai Katana, and Gradius 5.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I don't have a preference. I enjoy both the same.

Though, if I'm playing a new game, I've found myself getting the feel for/learning horis a bit quicker than verts.

Maybe I just play easy horis.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Although horis were almost all I played growing up, I definitely prefer verts now.

Verts, as mentioned, tend to have more interesting "systems." Galuda wad the first shmup I really really fell in love with; the appeal to me wasn't the shooting, so much as that it felt like a puzzle to figure out how I could maximize gem and gold collection.

I still enjoy more straightforward shooties, but find the ones that require thought to figure out by far the most compelling.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I can get into both vertical (my games were 1943, Ajax and Twin Cobra) and horizontal (UN Squadron, classic Defender/Stargate and R-Type) but the one horizontal I loved the most? Darius and its three monitors creating the CinemaScope experience.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I still enjoy more straightforward shooties, but find the ones that require thought to figure out by far the most compelling.

Shooters without elaborate/(more)complex scoring systems still require planning (thought) to figure out.

Just saying...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Maybe I just play easy horis.

I wouldn't count Metal Black as easy, BioMetal and Hyper Duel are also at least challenging... but it sure would be cool to hear about your impressions/experiences with very methodical Irem, or Irem-like, horizontal STGs. Blazing Star & Pulstar come to mind, also R-Type III.

I prefer verts mostly because I was never a big fan of crashing into the scenery.

Then I recommend R-Type Delta, where you can touch every immovable part of the surroundings. Also Border Down is very forgiving: as soon as you fly with lower velocities and don't push it, you can't be killed by touching scenery.

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
I prefer horizontal 16:9 on a 55" TV.

stretched like that the bullets are further away so I can dodge them more easily.

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
There are definitely great ones in all categories. One of my all-time favorites il Pulstar: the pace is slow enough, and after hours of memorizing patterns I was almost able to finish the first stages blindfolded. :)
In general though, I have a preference for vertical shooters. It feels more natural controlling a ship at the bottom of the screen and shooting enemies at the top. Raiden, Aleste, Donpachi series and many others.
Ikaruga is not for me though...

Shmuppy

Banned
Both, I don't care as long as it is a decent shmup. The advantage of verticals is that our human eye/brain cordination can better comprehend what's going on on the screen and react properly. That's how Tsuneki Ikeda (Cave boss) described it and I can only agree. Probably b/c verts kinda represent our first person view like moving straight forward "into" the action and not sideways. This is the reason most Cave shmups are verts. Akai Katana on 360 in 16:9 mode is very exhausting, to much eye movement left/right.

Last edited: