Vanguard - Saga of Heroes

Andyh

Cheng's Errand Boy
Couldnt see a post on this so..........

Picked this up today and so far it seems good, graphics are good, kind of like everquest 2 but more polished.

Los of classes and races to choose from and a fair few different starting cities, also the crafting system seems interesting, pretty deep.

Got a ten day trial with it so if anyone wants to give it ago drop me a pm.

Andy

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Does that trial work for US members? I've wanted to see what it was like.

My dad was in the beta, and he seemed to like it. It's probably too involved for my taste, but it's better to try it out than spend $50 and hate it. He said it was a lot like EQ also.

Andyh

Cheng's Errand Boy
It does seem pretty complex, especially with the deplomacy side of things, not sure if the code will work for you, but i will drop you a pm when i get home from work with it.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Cool, thanks. It must be a massive download, as my pops said the beta was over a gig. I bet the final product is much larger. I can't wait to deal with that..

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
It's pretty shitty at the moment with an assload of bugs. I'm gonna wait till they do a complete overhaul like everquest 2 had, or atleast until they put out a few major patches.

edit: The game is 17gb in size. Beta was 20gb but they scaled down some stuff.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I've played the trial a little bit, and I have to say it's not bad at all. It reminds me of EQ1 in a lot of ways, and it really seems like what EQ2 should have been. I made a Wood Elf Ranger and had fun exploring. I don't think I'll continue playing after the trial though, as WoW takes up too much of my gaming time.

It is buggy, and it almost feels as if it was rushed to market with a bunch of stuff that should have been fixed in beta. The character animation isn't so great either, though the environments are beautiful. If WoW isn't your thing and you want something more hard core, Vanguard would be a good choice.

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
I was so excited to play this and it really runs like shit on my system.

Athlon 64 X2 4400
2.21ghz- 2 gigs of ram
Nvidia 7900 GT

It dosnt seem to really matter what settings I run it at either still moves like crap and stutters throughout the land.

Also I cant get over how awful the fighting animations are. My dread knight looks rediculous whailing around.

The towns are all empty with about 7 npcs who just stand there doing nothing.

A ton of bugs. IMO its a real mess right now and plays like an early beta. I regret picking it up but think it might be worth a try 6 months from now.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I'm surprised you are having issues. Your system is better than mine (Athlon 64 3700 @2.2Ghz, 2GB DDR400, 7800GT PCI-X) and I was able to run the game fairly well. I noticed a little frame dropping here and there, but my card drives the game well on my 1680x1050 monitor. I agree with you on the character animation. They need to hire more professional 3D animators or something.

Neco_Coneco said:
I was so excited to play this and it really runs like shit on my system.

Athlon 64 X2 4400
2.21ghz- 2 gigs of ram
Nvidia 7900 GT

It dosnt seem to really matter what settings I run it at either still moves like crap and stutters throughout the land.

Also I cant get over how awful the fighting animations are. My dread knight looks rediculous whailing around.

The towns are all empty with about 7 npcs who just stand there doing nothing.

A ton of bugs. IMO its a real mess right now and plays like an early beta. I regret picking it up but think it might be worth a try 6 months from now.

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
GD said:
I'm surprised you are having issues. Your system is better than mine (Athlon 64 3700 @2.2Ghz, 2GB DDR400, 7800GT PCI-X) and I was able to run the game fairly well. I noticed a little frame dropping here and there, but my card drives the game well on my 1680x1050 monitor. I agree with you on the character animation. They need to hire more professional 3D animators or something.

Do you have a dual core? I heard this game was having issues with dual cores. I read that after i bought it.

Also how do you feel about the community. So far they seem pretty hostile. I havent been in any groups yet either.

To be honest this game made me want to go back and try everquest 2 again.

Last edited:

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
No, I'm running a single core (San Diego) Athlon 64. Some of your issues may stem from your dual core CPU, specifically if the developers didn't optimize the game for them.

As far as the community goes, the server I played on was fairly quiet. The people who were talking were either asking for help with quests or being rude to people asking for help with quests. I think a lot of the "elite" EQ types play this game and look down on pretty much everyone else. I know the beta was like that.

I am running on a dual core C2D e6600 with 2GB RAM, Nvidia 7950GX-2, and a 150GB 10,000RPM hard drive and I think it runs like a dog. If I could get used to that and they tweak a few bugs I think I could like it.

I keeping looking to relive that honeymoon period when an MMO is totally fresh and unexplored. I keep being disappointed. WoW has kept me playing but even with the expansion it's not fresh, just better than it was.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I know what you mean. I'm hoping LOTR Online or Warhammer Online is good so I can try something new. Both are good licenses, but I'm not a huge fan of Turbine's work on D&D Online so I don't have high hopes for LOTR.

brentsg said:
I am running on a dual core C2D e6600 with 2GB RAM, Nvidia 7950GX-2, and a 150GB 10,000RPM hard drive and I think it runs like a dog. If I could get used to that and they tweak a few bugs I think I could like it.

I keeping looking to relive that honeymoon period when an MMO is totally fresh and unexplored. I keep being disappointed. WoW has kept me playing but even with the expansion it's not fresh, just better than it was.

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
I gave up on this game. I couldnt stand the bugs and lousy performance. I am glad I tried it though it got me wanting to play MMORPGS again. As a result I went back to Lineage 2 and couldnt be happier