USPS flat rate boxes the best way to mail aes/mvs games?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Hey I'm about to order some mailing supplies from USPS, and I was wondering what the correct dimensions were for a box for a single MVS cart (to stick inside of a bubble mailer, lol)?

Nerdygrrl

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I own a small fulfillment company. I ship mostly tee shirts and comic books, but I do have one client that is a vinyl toy designer. We stopped using the flat rate boxes because we feel that they don't hold up well during shipping. Too many come back in pieces.

I have been toying with the idea of using them to ship my PCB's. I have had a lot of folks ask me to because of shipping costs, but I just don't feel confident that the game will arrive safely.

Perhaps the MVS carts are a little different since they are protected by a case, but I still would prefer to use my own boxes.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It doesn't matter how strong the box is if you don't put enough bubble wrap around the cart. They could be tossing the box from the fourth floor to a pile on the ground for all I know. XD

Nerdygrrl

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It doesn't matter how strong the box is if you don't put enough bubble wrap around the cart. They could be tossing the box from the fourth floor to a pile on the ground for all I know. XD

It's true, no box will make up for shoddy packing. Though, it doesn't help when the box come back as flat as a pancake. The USPS boxes cannot hold any type of weight so if your cart is in a flat rate box at the bottom of the stack/pallet, good luck.

We had a ton of returns because due to toys being damaged during shipping when using the priority boxes. The boxes would come back completely crushed or ripped open. Now we just buy our supplies from Uline. It costs a little more initially, but in the end we have fewer returns.

This hobby is tough, people will drop XXX $ on a PCB or cart and then want to skimp out when it comes to paying for shipping. I just don't get it, that extra $5 or 10 will really make a difference.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Rise from your grave....

What is the current preferred way to ship a single MVS cart? I know Big Bear said that (at the time), the post office would not allow flat rate enevelope shipping of carts any more.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I just get boxes from my local PO place and it's only 6-7bucks to send a cart.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Rise from your grave....

What is the current preferred way to ship a single MVS cart? I know Big Bear said that (at the time), the post office would not allow flat rate enevelope shipping of carts any more.

i just ship in fresh cardboard. you dont get locked into the flat rates priority prices. people claim poverty, when it comes to shipping but i like to make sure shit shows up. plus you can buy bulk new boxes (25 pack) from amazon for under $0.50 a pop. its cheaper to use new boxes and wrap in bubblewrap then ship than it is to use flat rate priority. average mvs cart costs me just under $5 to ship. packing material included.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Rise from your grave....

I usually use a USPS large video box inside a padded flat rate envelope, shipping alone is $5.70.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That was BAD information I got from a postal clerk who can be a creep at times. I ended up setting things straight or they changed the rules(IF IT FITS,IT SHIPS) and ship all my single mvs carts in a usps small video tape box with bubble wrap over label of the mvs cart..The mvs cart will not fit entirely intto the small video tape box so you want to bend it up closed as tight as possible,securing it with priority tape wrapped around the center of the vdo box.You then place that small video tape box in a flat rate envelope with some paper padding(I use phone book pages).
You are allowed to secure the envelope with a strip of priority tape around the closing flap of the envelope going completely around the top(front around back to front).
BB

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I usually use a USPS large video box inside a padded flat rate envelope, shipping alone is $5.70.

I either do this or use 3 of the padded envelopes, matryoshka-style.