USPS flat rate boxes the best way to mail aes/mvs games?

were8kosh

Rugal's Thug
15 Year Member
For price wise when mailing priority inside the US am i better off getting my own box or using the flat rate boxes at the post office for aes/mvs games?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For MVS games the best is actually the flat rate envelope. Just make sure you wrap the cart with bubble wrap. It's only $4.85 vs $9+ with the flat rate box.

You can even put the cart in a box and then throw it in the envelope, too.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
For larger shipments flat rate boxes are great. You can fit 4-6 well packed carts into
them. It's nice being able to give your buyer a $9 price instead of $30ish to
ship across the US.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Yep,I've been using flat rate envelopes and Flat rate boxes for the longest.
Plus you can order them FREE online to be sent to you at USPS.

For the AES depends on what your sending..A loose cart I will bubble wrap and pop in a flat rate envelope..

AES cart in case I'd use a Flat rate box..But this depends on where it's going.
If close,east coast I'd just use a regular box and ship priority with dc..(as it should be cheaper.
Anything West Coast/Texas I will use the Flat Rate Box or envelope
Shipping anything to CA I use Flat Rate as otherwise I get ripped on the shipping.:hammer:

MVS loose carts..Cheapo games I may use a flat rate envelope(they are ideal for this)..Kits or multiple MVS carts I'll use Flat rate box.
If I'm sending a game that's expenive then I'll send it in a box..

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I have just been informed,TODAY that the USPS will no longer be accepting what they "deem" obscure looking FLAT RATE envelopes. This means that the envelope must not protrude in the shape of a brick or dead hamster or otherwise. The excuse? They're losing money... :oh_no:
I have yet to see this in writing but if anybody can find anything,please post.
What I'll do is use my own bubble bags which can be had for very cheap at your local DOLLAR STORE
BB

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I see that there website hasn't updated this NEW RULE(?)
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/123.htm

DMM 123 Priority Mail Rates and Eligibility for Retail Letters,Flats and Parcels
1.5 Flat-Rate Envelope and Boxes
Any amount of material may be mailed in a USPS-produced Priority Mail flat-rate box or flat-rate envelope. When sealing a flat-rate box or flat-rate envelope, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds. Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container, provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way.
1.5.1 Flat-Rate Envelope—Price and Eligibility

[1-18-09] Each USPS-produced Priority Mail flat-rate envelope is charged $4.95, regardless of the actual weight of the piece or its destination. Only USPS-produced flat-rate envelopes are eligible for the flat-rate envelope price.
:shame:
BB

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Just returned from the Post Office and the postal clerk(s) admitted that they were wrong and I was correct so in the future if any Postal Clerk tries to tell you that you can't ship your dead hamster or MVS Cartridge in a Flat Rate Envelope, refer them to the link I provided which stipulates the rules of mailing.
BB

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The big boxes are perfect for mailng/storing most arcade boards, but not MVS games.

mydogbilly

Geese's Thug
The USPS has the bubble wrap envelopes ready for sale, and they're cheap too. Under 2$. I always ship out DVD's and games in them and never have problems.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
$2 per is expensive. You can get bubble mailers at Sam's club and OfficeMax for dirt cheap, they come out to about $0.44 each.

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I was actually just considering this question after resurrecting my FS thread and getting some bites. I was hoping the "video box" flat rate Priority mailer worked for MVS but it's just a bit too small on the short side (8 5/8 x 5 3/8 I think). But it's very useful to know that the flat rate envelopes will get it done.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Just returned from the Post Office and the postal clerk(s) admitted that they were wrong and I was correct so in the future if any Postal Clerk tries to tell you that you can't ship your dead hamster or MVS Cartridge in a Flat Rate Envelope, refer them to the link I provided which stipulates the rules of mailing.
BB

:tickled:

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
thanks for the tips guys just sold some games and was wondering how to handle shipping.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Does the advice in this thread still hold true, or have there been changes since?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Still valid.
If you are posting paper items,make sure you measure two sturdy pieces of cardboard the just a bit under the size of the envelope to protect the documents from being bent or folded. You could also use one of those Priority threaded bags to protect them from water damage for good measure.
BB

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Still valid.
If you are posting paper items,make sure you measure two sturdy pieces of cardboard the just a bit under the size of the envelope to protect the documents from being bent or folded. You could also use one of those Priority threaded bags to protect them from water damage for good measure.
BB

That's funny, I just posted some paper items earlier today! ;)

I did do the cardboard thing, with bubble wrap around that, LOL.

I was asking cos I might be selling some MVS carts soon. So I could pack one inside one of those MVS-sized priority boxes, and stick that box inside a priority envelope?

Also, can somebody explain the "Paypal 4% or gift" thing to me? Since I'm gonna take paypal payments, assuming I do sell stuff, I wanna make sure I do it right.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I hate when people post prices and say add the PayPal 4% shit. Just adjust your fucking price. If you're selling something for $100 just make it $104. They forget that to the buyer its the same end amount.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
'GIFT' payment is a payment with zero fees incurred to you by PayPal. GIFT is usually a payment made from the payer's PayPal balance.If the Payer pays via GIFT it is up to you to request his/her address in a PM after payment is made as PayPal will not provide it because there is no implication of a purchase.
The PayPal 4% is usually a payment made by the payer with a CC which you,the seller will be charged up to 3.9% in fees by PayPal.You are requesting that the buyer add 4% of the combined total of the item and postage to cover your fees.Not an uncommon request with the cost of doing business online rising rapidly.
BB
Also, can somebody explain the "Paypal 4% or gift" thing to me? Since I'm gonna take paypal payments, assuming I do sell stuff, I wanna make sure I do it right.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Can't win for trying: my post office was 'out' of normal Priority Mail boxes & bubble mailers.

After reading this thread, I was like...I'm not falling for an eleven $ flat rate box.

Here's the thing: 2.59 mailing carton+
1.59 bubble mailer + 5.25 vanilla Priority + 2.30Delivery Conf + .70Insur = 12.43...

All that extra hassle, to have them try to sweat me for my 'brick' shaped envelope...and accuse me of trying to steal the box inside the bubble mailer.

Did flat rate go up/loose some box sizes recently?

I sent '3' Sega CD longbox games for like 8 bucks awhile back.

Today, '1' game runs me 13 bucks?

Ugh.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Can't win for trying: my post office was 'out' of normal Priority Mail boxes & bubble mailers.

After reading this thread, I was like...I'm not falling for an eleven $ flat rate box.

1.59 bubble mailer + 5.25 vanilla Priority + 2.30Delivery Conf + .70Insur = 12.43...

All that extra hassle, to have them try to sweat me for my 'brick' shaped envelope...and accuse me of trying to steal the box inside the bubble mailer.

Ugh.

Yeah, the price has been going up every year around this time. Large flat rate is around $13. :oh_no:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member

Ugh.

You can order boxes and mailers online for free. I thought someone here said they weren't allowed to harass you for brick shaped mailers?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
You can order boxes and mailers online for free. I thought someone here said they weren't allowed to harass you for brick shaped mailers?

Thx for the heads up. Just got some mailers @ Sam's to tide me over...Xian is right: .39 ea unit price!

Also, yea- BB said they can't harang you for 'bricks' anymore. And he is 100% correct.

Thing is, these folks had my # for some reason...maybe it was the screaming toddlers I brought w/ me, or the fact I was trying to beat the system.

Anywho, quoted BBs quote word for word...and checked these tools.

I might go Yaton soon, & start shipping in found household product containers. Heh.

Who wants iced tea/ramen/tampon omake w/ my next sales thread?!?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I might go Yaton soon, & start shipping in found household product containers. Heh.

Who wants iced tea/ramen/tampon omake w/ my next sales thread?!?

I read this twice now at different times, and literally LOL'd.