US appliance plugged into UK outlet - help!

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
A friend of mine in London accidentally plugged her North American sewing machine into a UK outlet and it isn't functionig anymore. Do you think it's just a blown fuse or is this thing fucked now?

It's under warranty, but it will cost a lot to ship it back to have it serviced. Opening it may void the warranty on a $1500 machine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

edit:
http://www.babylock.com/sewing/decorator-choice/

Last edited:

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Maybe it has got an overvoltage protection, not unlikely on such a high priced machine.
In a worst case scenario the PSU is fried.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
She needed to use a stepdown, about £5.99 from Maplins. I know it wouldn't of done the machine much good, too much power for something that requires less.

Darren870

Previously Lusted for Lard
PSU is probably fried.

If the PSU is located inside the sewing machine she will need to send it back. If the PSU is located in the brick like a xbox 360 then she can just get a new chord.

The sewing machine needs to do Dual Voltage for it to be able to just plug into the wall without a step down converter.

I've done this when traveling overseas before.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Depending on when the machine was made, it most likely has a fuse that's blown in the PSU. Also the fuse may be soldered on and not in a socket or anything.