Unofficial KOF2002 Tourney at EVOLUTION!

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I do know the cost of shipment of a cab, I own 3 myself.
I know that SRK can't, and does not have the ability of getting a
console tourney together (At least well organized), and let's not even
talk about an arcade one.

Las Vegas has quite a few arcades with a selection of good machines. Why
not rent one of those places for 2-3 days? Plus, changing buttons and joysticks
on a cabinet doesn't take hrs, it takes probably about 10 mins, unless it's
soldered, which is not the case with most cabs.

In the end, an arcade only tourney will not happen, I guess we're all
dreaming.

Frankfurt said:
Around the country? Yes.

But can you find... say, a dozen (in the case of games like MVC2 or 3s the number would be much higher - i remember when they used to go after more than twenty fully working CPS3s for 3s...) fully working boards in Las Vegas for each game in the tourney (that´s seven games this year - 15 if all the voting games had entered)?

More than that, can you find people in Las Vegas that not only have that ammount of boards, but willing to rent them? Not only the boards, but cabinets in perfect working condition and with adequate sticks and buttons (matching each respective board)?

That would be 84 boards and 84 cabinets (real number is higher than that, due to GG, 3s and MVC2), all in perfect condition.

That´s impossible to find in one city. It´s the US, not Japan. People would have to fly the boards and cabs from all over the country. You know how much flying one cabinet costs. Now try 84. No, don´t fly them. Find a cheaper way. The cheapest way you can think of. Take them there by horse or camel. Find 84 (actually 168, but let´s ignore that) riders.

Now look at the entry fees, multiply by the number of players, then subtract the total of prizes.

Do i think a console tourney is good? Nope. It sucks. But you have to wake up. Consoles allow them to have 2 out of 3 matches, since they can get as many consoles as necessary (and carry them there themselves - just the staff and volunteers). Consoles mean much smaller lines. Consoles mean nobody having trouble with the controls. It means that if a controller or stick breaks, you can replace it in ten seconds. It means side-tourneys, more money matches, less trouble.

It means not waiting in line until midnight to play your match.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Evo is a mess really. I would not accept anything at a tourney unless its machines with sanwa only parts. You are breaking the law by profiting off of this in this country also. If you guys got actual company sponors, more power to you.
There should be no profit off these dvd's, they should just upload these matches for nothing. No DVD's.

What is up with this: http://www.evo2k.com/mediapics/evo2k4(1).JPG

Thats unreal for a tourney set up, you gotta have tons of machines. If I was running some kind of event I'd even cut into my own wallet to get things right. Those machines are essential to any event. When I go to somewhere like Super Arcade near mt sac, I go to play in a cade. Not some console port or roms bullshit.
I might as well just jump on mame, hell its illegal also, and totally free, with a plethora of killer players. Does evo even have rom set ups? Its hard to tell from the pics..

I won't use a american style stick in a tourney, or a pad or keyboard. Hell, I would only use sanwa parts, even for my playing, you have the slightest skew and it can seriously effect personal performance.

Its funny the JP players always tear the americans apart also, yet I bet they get frustrated being apart from most sanwa styled controls. Dumb shit becomes increasingly important when you go to a event like this. Even my DC agetec stick is styled in the sanwa fashion, but none of the parts are actually sanwa to begin with. Its a great stick, but would I take it to a tourney if I could have better? Not a chance. The DC stick has a very loose joystick, in which a sanwa stick is more strict and very slightly smaller. Its like using a tiny gauge guitar pick for shred.

If you go to a event like this and you dont have some sort of controller converter, your doomed. Especially when I'm paying, I expect the very best. Nobody goes to a movie theatre to watch a dvd. It should be the same concept.

Imagine max combos on a ps2 pad? No fucking way for me.

Bottom line, my view of a perfect tourney:

More then 30 techs with tons of spare parts. A kings road of Neo Candy and other candy based units. Linkables especially, since you can have arm space, for that asshole who just won't scoot over. *I hate people that hog up area*
You need to have this flexibility. Hell, even have a grip of consoles for knit pickers, but remember mostly candy based units, there is not a way on earth to play thats more confortable then those damn units.

From the site pics, it looks like a giant cafeteria school event. A ton of players must have been pissed when they went through those doors to see mostly console stuff set.

My friend Jorge made a good point in saying that playing fighters competitive is greatly respectful. It shouldn't be some homebrew operation. A great idea thats poorly executed.

Most people will want these dvd's to see the JP players at there best, yet as far as I understand, in JP, sanwa parts are plentiful.

Repukken said:
TTT stays cause of turn out history. Despite how big KOF is in other countries, its just isn't as big as TTT in the US. And honestly, I rather see a big turn out for TTT then having a minor turn out on KOF 02. Its bad enough that the media thinks the the fighting game tournament scene is dead/useless. The last thing we want is to have a big international event like EVO be laughed at cause some Neo Geo guys wanted a KOF tournament and only 32 people show up while 3rd Strike or T5 has over 200+ signups. You know how stupid SNK would look if that ever happened? Think about that before thinking they're idiots next time or maybe you should take into what Seth Killian is saying and vote on your beloved game.

You are out of your mind if you dont think 2002 will get support. If you check all over mame, there is consistent play every fucking place and tons of virtually untouchable players.

How about super arcade and arcade inf at night? That only accounts for so cal!
Its not like SNK has any say anyways, since the core profit is raked directly to the idiots who do what anyone else could do.

Originally Posted by s-kill
Due to low voter turn-out, we cannot in good faith add any of the votable titles to the official EVO lineup.

Ridiculous, so I guess you'd see a tourney for capcom fighting evo before a KOF?
If alot of these dudes actually cared about gaming and the gamers who play the damn games, they shouldn't be charged in the first place. I mean shit, you want a killer turn out? Make it totally free. (I know this is pushing it, but what the hell, ya know)

You are gonna have to have a fucking toss out year for these SNK titles to pick up steam. Why don't I go? Pretty damn simple actually, its not like theres tourneys for FFS, KOF 98, Garou, etc etc. Or there was and I totally missed out. I'd probably loose for sure, but I can't pick up experience when dudes are to afraid to just lay out 2002 for any kind of loss. Seems funny since most likely MVSC2 has a billion machines.

I wouldn't mind paying 10$ for a entrance, thats nothing. For making a DVD which will be sold for decent money there should be fucking machines with killer set ups EVERYWHERE. Get some sponsers and expand your horizons to just fighters in general. If you can have TTT you guys are morons for neglecting alot of the SNK side so much. I remember seeing this vid of a japanese dark stalkers tourney. They had like two linkable candies on a center stage.

There is no excuse for things being 'limited. I know someone must have deep pockets at this point, how messed up.

Last edited:
F

FMJaguar

Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
Evo is a mess really. I would not accept anything at a tourney unless its machines with sanwa only parts.

You are welcome to bring your own sanwa parts, however people who are good on US sticks and ps2 pads and whatever else shouldn't be denied the chance.

There should be no profit off these dvd's, they should just upload these matches for nothing. No DVD's.

Well you have part of your wish, it has been stated after last years event that the dvd sales go to covering the event and (one day when there is actually funds leftover) continuing support in the fighting game community for other events and excursions. There is no money at this point to be made in fighting games, so I question any idea of 'profiting'... maybe 'a fleeting hope to recover the inital investment not even counting the time and energy put in as well by several people' would be a more appropriate description.

What is up with this: http://www.evo2k.com/mediapics/evo2k4(1).JPG

Thats unreal for a tourney set up, you gotta have tons of machines. If I was running some kind of event I'd even cut into my own wallet to get things right. Those machines are essential to any event. When I go to somewhere like Super Arcade near mt sac, I go to play in a cade. Not some console port or roms bullshit.

1) Roms are not used for any official event, none of the games that were possible xbox-e games made the cut, so this remains true, even if those games had made it, they probably would not have been emu'd

2) There are no arcades of significant interest anymore, so while some people prefer them, they are irrelavant to most current players, and 99.999% of any future players. Arcade machines are also a major turnoff to sponsors and anyone that wants to appeal to current (read: not stuck in 1980) gamers. This is not to say that arcades have 0 advantages, but the future is to enhance the console community with what we loved about arcades, not to pretend that arcades are modern and cool again.

3) If your game doesn't have a console port, or if your players reject all the console versions, its future in the us is severely limited. See alpha 3 for examples.

Its funny the JP players always tear the americans apart also, yet I bet they get frustrated being apart from most sanwa styled controls. Dumb shit becomes increasingly important when you go to a event like this. Even my DC agetec stick is styled in the sanwa fashion, but none of the parts are actually sanwa to begin with. Its a great stick, but would I take it to a tourney if I could have better? Not a chance. The DC stick has a very loose joystick, in which a sanwa stick is more strict and very slightly smaller. Its like using a tiny gauge guitar pick for shred.

Japan has almost always had access to sanwa controls, and this year there will be even more sanwa controllers brought by the US players.

I don't understand where your agetec comment applies, it's well known that an agetec is not the same as an authentic sanwa. Furthermore the only people who would actually need to use a agetec are people that prefer it, those who prefer sanwa, use sanwa.

If you go to a event like this and you dont have some sort of controller converter, your doomed. Especially when I'm paying, I expect the very best. Nobody goes to a movie theatre to watch a dvd. It should be the same concept.

It's known well in advance what consoles will be used, and as long as your controller is ps2-ready, it will be good for everything but mvc2 and the optional games (a3,mkd,doau) none of which are being held officially anyway. But none of those are a major concern to snk players, and for those who are interested in those games they can participate on more appropriate forums.

More then 30 techs with tons of spare parts. A kings road of Neo Candy and other candy based units. Linkables especially, since you can have arm space, for that asshole who just won't scoot over. *I hate people that hog up area*
You need to have this flexibility. Hell, even have a grip of consoles for knit pickers, but remember mostly candy based units, there is not a way on earth to play thats more confortable then those damn units.

You are more than welcome to make this a reality, and i think it would be great for the community, there are very few large events and yours would probably be a welcome addition to the scene. I happen to disagree, but thats the beauty of things, you can run your events your way, and others can run theirs their way.

From the site pics, it looks like a giant cafeteria school event. A ton of players must have been pissed when they went through those doors to see mostly console stuff set.

I don't know how they even got to the event without knowing what it is, it's not like it was presented as a big arcade tourney.

Most people will want these dvd's to see the JP players at there best, yet as far as I understand, in JP, sanwa parts are plentiful.

Since sanwa is a japanese company i would hope so. However through the communities efforts, sanwa parts are about as accessible as anything else you can buy online, a ton of people (especially in the past year) have been making sanwa sticks, converting sticks to sanwa, modding arcade machines, etc...

You are out of your mind if you dont think 2002 will get support. If you check all over mame, there is consistent play every fucking place and tons of virtually untouchable players.

I'm sure everyone believes their game will get support, the question is just whether we can prove it has support right now to be a major game. That target was 100 people total, which IMO is very realistic. We can make excuses about other games and whether the number was too high, but reality tells me that if there's 200+ million people in my country, and most of them like vegas to begin with, then getting 100 registrations is nothing. It's not even like you needed 100 people to pay $20, get a pizza shop or some intenet company to throw $100 for 5 ppl in here and there, make it into something fun. I know it's too late for this year, but if i have any say it's not getting easier, no point in having huge events and sponsors for games that aren't going to even do the simplest thing and get some people signed up to play, and that includes SF games.

My favorite example is the 3rd Strike community, it wasn't even on the map a few years ago, but their players did the right things and now their game is #1 so far. Unfortunately now that they've done it, the excuse that 'it can't be done' is gone.

Ridiculous, so I guess you'd see a tourney for capcom fighting evo before a KOF?

Depends on the players, i have no preference for either, but if i did, i would make sure they got the required entries to be official. I like standards, it means i don't have to kiss anyone's ass or do some shady deal to get my game established, i just have to get done what needs to be done. By the same token i have no problem losing sleep at night wondering if evo has the best games or not, because it's decided by the players, not the opinion of a few people.

If alot of these dudes actually cared about gaming and the gamers who play the damn games, they shouldn't be charged in the first place. I mean shit, you want a killer turn out? Make it totally free. (I know this is pushing it, but what the hell, ya know)

The problem with making everything free is that it loses meaning. I want to be around players that realize the importance of the community helping itself, and are willing to invest a nearly insignificant portion of their trip cost into future events. In this sense, the players sponsor the event, sponsors get a say, so if you want the players to have a say, they have to invest in the tournament instead of outside vendors.

You are gonna have to have a fucking toss out year for these SNK titles to pick up steam. Why don't I go? Pretty damn simple actually, its not like theres tourneys for FFS, KOF 98, Garou, etc etc. Or there was and I totally missed out. I'd probably loose for sure, but I can't pick up experience when dudes are to afraid to just lay out 2002 for any kind of loss. Seems funny since most likely MVSC2 has a billion machines.

Again comparing will get us nowhere, the real questions are:

1) why does putting snk on a big screen as opposed to a small one affect your ability to learn, especialy when you say your not going to do well either way.

2) why doesn't snk have a billion machines? MvC2 was barely an evo game until the MvC2 players made it happen, it's not like evo gave them much help, i would do a little more research on this topic.

There is no excuse for things being 'limited. I know someone must have deep pockets at this point, how messed up.

There are a lot of people with deep pockets, it's just that there aren't any results, much less even an interesting vision of what there is to invest in. To me having japanese cabs i knew might sell 100 or less units in the US to arcades that aren't going to exist in a few years isn't a great business proposal . Having a game that has 19 registered out of all the potential players isn't worth it. I'm sure a ton of other people share my view, but you haven't even interested them enough for them to explain to you why they aren't interested..

Last edited:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
FMJaguar said:
My favorite example is the 3rd Strike community, it wasn't even on the map a few years ago, but their players did the right things and now their game is #1 so far.

[snip]

Depends on the players, i have no preference for either, but if i did, i would make sure they got the required entries to be official. I like standards, it means i don't have to kiss anyone's ass or do some shady deal to get my game established, i just have to get done what needs to be done.

[snip]

MvC2 was barely an evo game until the MvC2 players made it happen, it's not like evo gave them much help, i would do a little more research on this topic.
For those of us who haven't followed the 3rd STRIKE or MvC2 scene (but have noticed the increased overall popularity of those titles in recent years and would like to see the same thing happen to our favorite NEO titles), could you give us a brief summation of what the players of those games did to popularize them? This subject is a bit broad, and obviously was a process that took some time to complete, so it'd be a little tricky to research. Any insight you could provide into what steps the 3rd STRIKE and MvC2 players did -- and/or suggestions for applying the lessons of their efforts to our NEO games -- would be much appreciated by all those interested in revitalizing the competitive NEO scene.

--Chris

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
xtoo_short20x said:
Too late. I offered a new mvs kit, a new KOF'02 homecart,
an aes system, a consolized two-slot, but it was
rejected, because the neogeo home console 'It's too old'. I'm not even going
to EVO anymore. The organizers of the even are just terrible.

Yes... this is the exact reason why I could careless about any attempts to hold SNKP game tournaments at Evo. Since it's a "console based" tournament they want people to have the ability to bring their own controllers and such. Even though there are plenty of people who would be willing to bring in MVS setups and even bring in their home systems so they can play "arcade exact" versions of the game, they voted against it all because most people think that the Neo Geo controllers suck.

This is even after it has been pointed out that there were some major holes in the third party versions of KOF 2002 that could make an impact on serious tournament play. They're accepting gameplay flaws just so that people can play on the controller they choose.

It is by far the dumbest excuse I have heard. People may argue that gameplayers should be able to use their own controllers, but in order to eliminate all of the guesswork and really pinpoint a TRUE champion in a tournament, people need to be forced to use the same gear and play an arcade exact version of the game. Anyone who plays SNK games seriously are used to the fact that having an exact port of a game goes far beyond the look & feel of the game, and they won't put up with a game that is sub-par by any means when it pertains to gameplay. Anyone that is a true tournament player should know that a person with real gaming skills will have no trouble at all executing any of their moves on ANY controller. It's only those that seek for excuses that actually would blame a fully working controller as to why they weren't able to properly uppercut their way out of a loss.

Evo had good intentions with involving SNKP games, but if they're going to truly represent them the people who hold this tournament have to go all the way and stop being so half-assed about it.

MvC2 was barely an evo game until the MvC2 players made it happen, it's not like evo gave them much help, i would do a little more research on this topic.

I have to disagree. MvC2 had its legions of fans way before Evo came into play. It made sense that MvC2 would be a heavy favorite for tournament play for the US fanbase was already there to begin with. The Evo just accellerated its popularity on a tournament level, due to the fact that there were specific players that seemed completely unbeatable such as Justin Wong. Towards the later stages of MvC2's reign as the "hot game", it became more of a race to see who could "topple the king" instead of how to play the game and everyone wanted to see the first one to do it.

And, (dare I say it??!?)... MvC2 was the only Capcom game that the US could actually beat Japan in consistently. The best US gamers didn't do as well as the Japanese in just about every other Capcom figher, and for most that was accepted as long as the competition remained close. But Third Strike was the one title that Japanese players beat US players the worse. If I recall during the first SRK advertised meeting of top US & Japanese gamers, Japan literally wiped the floor with the US. I think the US only won ONCE out of the several pairings they had.

Ever since then, US gamers had no choice but to redeem themselves so more attention was paid to the game. And Third Strike's "gaining popularity" has a lot to do with the fact that people are learning more strategies to play the game competitively. Whereas most people agree that all of the gaming strats for MvC2 has been exhausted.

Last edited:

AKscrube

Overtop Pathfinder
d00d, vinny, you are right on damn near everything...but the fact remains that NeoGeo AES/MVS games are simply not as available for the general public to play in the USA, that is why i think the EVO Organizers decided to use ports because the general public has a PS2 and easier access to DOMESTIC versions of KOF *and soon to be other SNK games* than they do to AES/MVS games...not everyone plays KOF on the standard NEOGEO setup *although i wish they would...* but its simply vastly difficult to do so...heck, some ppl want to use a PS2 controller with a PS2 to NEO converter if AES is used for the unofficial tourney that will be run...if anything, im thinkin about next year's EVO where all of us SNK's finest have *assuming* 3 VERY STRONG *hopefully tourney playable/friendly* TITLES for EVO 2006 contention in Neogeo Battle Coliseum, Samurai Shodown Tenka, and The King Of Fighters XI...and not just EVO for that matter...we're also talking about other major yearly tournaments such as East Coast Championships in NJ every May *arcade tourney*, Midwest Championships in Chicago every June *also arcade based tourney*, and another one im forgetting about...its really difficult to force anyone to play the exact arcade version of a tourney worthy game, MVC2 included, when there arent as many decent arcades and arcade based players as there are consoles and console based players here in the US of A.

PS The focus is to seriously put SNK on the map in terms of tourney exposure and expanding the SNK fighting game community in the US with EVO being the major splash...even as an unofficial tourney, if we get a decent turnout, SRK will notice for sure and if we keep up that consistency for the year until next summer when tournament season essentially ends & begins, SNK fighters will have a very high probability for being included in tournaments in the near future

Last edited:

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
AKscrube said:
d00d, vinny, you are right on damn near everything...but the fact remains that NeoGeo AES/MVS games are simply not as available for the general public to play in the USA, that is why i think the EVO Organizers decided to use ports because the general public has a PS2 and easier access to DOMESTIC versions of KOF *and soon to be other SNK games* than they do to AES/MVS games

Believe me, I understand why they decided to go in the direction that they went. What I don't understand is how they could say no to the authentic, Neo Geo version especially if there are plenty of people willing to bring in their own MVS & AES setups to play it without costing them anything? We know that most of the ports are "almost identical" to the original hardware, just like MvC2 and TS are "almost identical" to their arcade counterparts. But if a few people right now decided that they wanted to bring in their supergun and/or their arcade setups of Third Strike or MvC2 at no cost, the Evo organizers would be all over it.

...not everyone plays KOF on the standard NEOGEO setup *although i wish they would...* but its simply vastly difficult to do so...heck, some ppl want to use a PS2 controller with a PS2 to NEO converter if AES is used for the unofficial tourney that will be run...

I'm an old-schooler when it comes to tournament play. Games like Sonic The Hedgehog are fine for console tournaments since the games were made for consoles. But fighting games that has an arcade release before the home version (regardless if it's Namco, Capcom or SNK/P) should be played on arcade hardware for that's how the creators of these games intended for them to be played on a serious level. The Neo Geo is the only home system that can boast "arcade exact" titles because it uses the same boards as the MVS. If anything, I would be thinking more on the actual gameplay than the controllers. That's a secondary thought that can easily be fixed. Even using PS2 or another third party controller with a Neo Geo converter would be better than playing a flawed 3rd Party port.

if anything, im thinkin about next year's EVO where all of us SNK's finest have *assuming* 3 VERY STRONG *hopefully tourney playable/friendly* TITLES for EVO 2006 contention in Neogeo Battle Coliseum, Samurai Shodown Tenka, and The King Of Fighters XI...and not just EVO for that matter...we're also talking about other major yearly tournaments such as East Coast Championships in NJ every May *arcade tourney*, Midwest Championships in Chicago every June *also arcade based tourney*, and another one im forgetting about...its really difficult to force anyone to play the exact arcade version of a tourney worthy game, MVC2 included, when there arent as many decent arcades and arcade based players as there are consoles and console based players here in the US of A.

If they did decide to bring in NGBC, SST and KOF X1 it would make sense if they actually got an Atomiswave to play it on. And it isn't impossible if they talk to the right people and make the appropriate deals. Take this very forum for instance. Every connection you need to anyone of these older or newer SNK games can be found on NG.com. Now if they were really in the market to make things interesting, they should work with NG.com in order to make a better gaming experience. And finding a gaming vendor that will allow you to rent a few MvC2 machines for a weekend is not hard to do, unless you're running the tournament in a small motel in Oklahoma located across the street from a cemetary.

PS The focus is to seriously put SNK on the map in terms of tourney exposure and expanding the SNK fighting game community in the US with EVO being the major splash...even as an unofficial tourney, if we get a decent turnout, SRK will notice for sure and if we keep up that consistency for the year until next summer when tournament season essentially ends & begins, SNK fighters will have a very high probability for being included in tournaments in the near future

I agree with that, but the people who throw the Evo Tournament needs to up the ante a bit. If they're willing to open the doors to the SNK/P community, they should be willing to go all the way with it so that serious SNK/P gameplayers can have the proper gaming experience. I own KOF 2002, Third Strike and MvC2 on the Dreamcast and used my 8-button Saturn Controller (w/ converter) to play them. That's good for "practicing at home" with my friends. But come tournament time I would still want to play on arcade exact hardware for that's the way the game is meant to be played.

Last edited:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
@AKscrube: here's an update on my KOF situation.

At this point, it appears that I will be able to provide 2 AES consoles and 1 copy each of KOF'98 and KOF'02.

I recently acquired a Sega Astro City cab (into which I'm planning to install a 4-slot MVS mobo along with KOF'98 and KOF'02), which I was thinking about trying to bring to EVO as well. Unfortunately, this is looking pretty unlikely. I picked up the cab yesterday, and while its weight isn't a huge deterrent, it's size is: the cab is too big to fit thru my gameroom door, so I had to disassemble it in order to move it in, then reassemble it in the gameroom. I'd really like to bring it to EVO (just to add more fuel to the fire of the NEO furor we hope to stoke there), but the disassembly/reassembly process is not a simple one, and the thought of taking it apart and putting it back together two more times (once when leaving the house, once upon returning) really gives me pause.

I'm working on being able to bring KOF'02 on my PS2, Xbox, and DC, tho'.

How many AES units does it look like we'll have so far?

--Chris

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
xtoo_short20x said:

Pardon my laugh but...

HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Vegas' arcade selection sucks these days. The only NeoWave in town is in some run down shack of a place called VideoRepair. Much less trying to track down a collection of decent Cap vs SNK2 cabs.

Dash no Chris said:
@AKscrube: here's an update on my KOF situation.

At this point, it appears that I will be able to provide 2 AES consoles and 1 copy each of KOF'98 and KOF'02.

I recently acquired a Sega Astro City cab (into which I'm planning to install a 4-slot MVS mobo along with KOF'98 and KOF'02), which I was thinking about trying to bring to EVO as well. Unfortunately, this is looking pretty unlikely. I picked up the cab yesterday, and while its weight isn't a huge deterrent, it's size is: the cab is too big to fit thru my gameroom door, so I had to disassemble it in order to move it in, then reassemble it in the gameroom. I'd really like to bring it to EVO (just to add more fuel to the fire of the NEO furor we hope to stoke there), but the disassembly/reassembly process is not a simple one, and the thought of taking it apart and putting it back together two more times (once when leaving the house, once upon returning) really gives me pause.
--Chris

If you're willing to let me install your control panel for the weekend into my cab, I can provide my cab, and even my 3 slotter.

(4slot with a dead slot.)

(worse comes to wose, if someone has 2 MAS Neo sticks, we can just plug 'em into the controller sockets.)

Last edited:

AKscrube

Overtop Pathfinder
im wanting to get a 98 cart myself but im plannin on goin on next Monday or Tuesday to Vegas so i dunno...maybe if i order it and have it shipped somewhere else?

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
xtoo_short20x said:
I do know the cost of shipment of a cab, I own 3 myself.
I know that SRK can't, and does not have the ability of getting a
console tourney together (At least well organized), and let's not even
talk about an arcade one.

In the end, an arcade only tourney will not happen, I guess we're all
dreaming.
las vegas has shit for arcades anymore. if they had arcade's at evo, i'd lend mine out, but they dont. and im not going to risk my aes getting jacked up by assholes, hence im not going either.

Empyrian

n00b
I had always gotten the feeling that US gamers looked down on SNK games.

Even those that do play SNK games over there are usually slanted to the casual to scrub levels.

I may be mistaken though...

VinylBoy: There is an implicit meaning from your posts that MvC2 and 3S are being touted as being great or being extremely popular, in part of them being good games, is that US gamers managed to get some sort of results with them with they played with top players from other regions/countries?

Is it true? Can I quote you on this next time?

bloodriot

Galford's Armourer
So I suppose the "unoffical kof tourney" will be next to the toilets or something eh? :kekeke: So much damn politics feh hopefully ngbc, kofxi and ssv vex#r alpha may change this next year :crying: or not

AKscrube

Overtop Pathfinder
as long as here in the us there is a large enough player bases/community, all of those 3 games are on a console thats accessible to the general public, possibly have domestic releases here in the US, and have been proven to be tournament playable/friendly Evo2006 SHOULD have all of these games in the lineup...as for arcade versions...well, i think all of us will be surprised coming March/April of 2006...in a good way

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
AKscrube said:
If all goes according to plan, here's what I'll be bringing for the KOF'02 tourney:

1x...Dreamcast (JPN)
1x...KOF'02 (JPN)
1x...DC Pad
2x...DC Agetec Joystick

1x...PlayStation 2 (JPN)
2x...PS2 Pads
1x...NEO-GEO Pad 2
1x...NEO-GEO Stick 2

1x...Xbox (JPN)
1x...KOF'02 (JPN)

2x...NEO-GEO AES (JPN)
2x...NEO-GEO Pad
2x...NEO-GEO Stick
2x...NEO-GEO Controller Pro
1x...KOF'02

2x...Pelican Real Arcade Universal joystick (upgraded to HAPPS' Competition Joysticks and Pushbuttons) -- for use on PS2 & Xbox

I've got Garou MARK OF THE WOLVES on DC and PS2 (w/the NEO-GEO Stick 2), in case those are needed for the Garou tournament.

I've also got other KOF titles available, in case we want to play something in addition to KOF'02:

'94...AES, PS2
'95...AES
'96...AES
'97...AES
'98...AES, DC
'99...AES, DC
'00...AES, DC, PS2
'01...AES, DC
'02...AES, DC, Xbox
'03...AES, PS2

And some other NEO titles:

Garou Densetsu / Fatal Fury -- AES (1, 2, Special, 3)
Gekka no Kenshi / Last Blade -- DC
KOF Maximum Impact -- PS2
Ryuuko no Ken / Art of Fighting -- AES (1, 2)
Samurai Spirits / Samurai Shodown -- AES (1, 2, 3, 5), PS2 (5)
Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku ~MATRIMELEE~ -- AES

Note that, while I don't own KOF'02 for PS2 yet, my PS2 could be made available if we had an extra import edition of PS2 KOF'02 without a console to run it.

The Pelican Universal sticks are being modded this week.

All of the items marked in boldface italics are not in my possesion quite yet, but should be arriving within the next few days. I'll update as they do.

--Chris

Remy

n00b
Everytime Evo rolls around you guys expect the capcom community to host your games for you. It would be a waste of time becuase you guys wouldn't even support your nonexistant scene. Worrying about boxart and Iori's sprite is more of a priority for your community than actually travelling to a tournament to compete. Why don't you guys hold your own tournaments and not cry to Evo to host your fucking games? Oh wait it's been done before with FierceSlash and no one gave a fuck. See you guys at Evo to play your shitty games at the BYOC room :make_fac:

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
Remy said:
Everytime Evo rolls around you guys expect the capcom community to host your games for you. It would be a waste of time becuase you guys wouldn't even support your nonexistant scene. Worrying about boxart and Iori's sprite is more of a priority for your community than actually travelling to a tournament to compete. Why don't you guys hold your own tournaments and not cry to Evo to host your fucking games? Oh wait it's been done before with FierceSlash and no one gave a fuck. See you guys at Evo to play your shitty games at the BYOC room :make_fac:

Go back to SRK...fanboy.

Remy

n00b
What's sadder is expecting SRK to spend money to rent MVS cabines for a 3 man SNK tournament. Yeah I too want want SNK games, that have no competitve scene in the US, to suddenly have it's own tournament at Evo. Get the fuck outta here :lol:

Last edited:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Remy said:
See you guys at Evo to play your shitty games at the BYOC room :make_fac:
Actually, I hope you do drop by the KOF'02 tourney and the other NEO games in the BYOC area -- if you haven't had much opportunity to try out the NEO library, this might be your chance to find something you like. Better still, you get the chance to meet some folks who're genuinely exited about this stuff. I've been a NEO fan since the early '90s, but I didn't start actively collecting the games until about 4 years ago when I happened to meet a few diehard fans who pointed out this forum community to me. I find that it's much easier to get excited about something if you're in the company of those who're already worked up about it.

--Chris