Universal Joysticks for Hyper..

HANZO

I'm curious to know which of the following is the best joystick set for Samurai Spirits, Warrior's Rage, and Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition. Does Wild Ambition require more than four buttons like Street Fighter did?
PS.jpg

PS-Neo.jpg

P.S. Can someone explain to me what a "JAMMA/MVS switchable Hyper board" allows you to do? Will I be able to play all the other Neo Geo games like Metal Slug on the hyper? Or is it the Supergun that alows you to do that and the Hyper will simply make it possible? Or am I right and you need a different Supergun to play different games? For example, Massy Systems has a deal on their "Super NOVA" but will it work for the Hyper 64 and will that same NOVA play all the other Neo Geo games? or will I have to get the actual Neo Geo system?

To put it straight and simple, the SYSTEM is what plays the games right?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
"The system plays the games" - right.

You need an MVS system to plug into your Super NOVA. You then need to an MVS (such as Metal Slug) into the MVS system.

Same goes for the Hyper, but you have to use a Hyper motherboard and a Hyper game.

As for the controllers, all Neo Geo MVS/Hyper games are 4 buttons. With the 8 button controller pictured above, the 2nd through 4th buttons on top are A, B, and C, and the last button on the bottom is button D... it's a fairly natural feeling to play with. No worries.

The Super NOVA is basically a power supply with a converter inside that takes the video signals from the game you have plugged into the NOVA and converts it into a signal a normal television can understand. It's nothing you'll have to worry about. When you see it in front of you, it'll all come together. This plugs into that which plugs into that...

HANZO

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. Wild Ambition is not like Street Fighter where you have a Jab, Medium, and Strong kick/punch? I figured it was that's why I wondered if I should get the 8 button stick but I guess it works perfectly with the neo geo 4 button stick.

Edit: The games are "attached" to the Hyper or "plugged in" to the NOVA? I thought the Hyper games would go into the Hyper system itself.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
No Prob. Feel free to PM me about anything arcade related... I like to help when I can. I also like to learn when I can, so fire your questions away.

The game itself is plugged into the Hyper System, and then the Hyper is plugged into the Nova. You can detach the game from the Hyper motherboard, and plug in a different game.

I think Capcom is the only company to use the 6 button system.

Also, it is a must that you buy the Playstation version of Wild Ambition. It has an incredible intro - take my word and buy it just for that!

HANZO

One more question relating Joysticks and their Buttons.
I'm going to order the SuperNOVA package from Mas Systems and was curious to know which controller and button type I should get.
JoyS-PushB.jpg

As you can see the Competition button layout is fairly close to the board itself and in the long run I figure that they might get stuck.

And if you can see the tradition Concave version, the buttons are normally protruded out which could mean long lasting but I'm sure these can get stuck as well. I want the button style that will last me longer than the other and yet want a button style that is perfect for the combos in Samurai Shodown 64 I and II.

This goes for the sticks as well. The Competition stick seems to not be as freely as a "360" stick would. I used some sticks before mainly the one for Soul Calibur and I want to make sure that I select the stick that feels smooth when doing uppercut moves rather than the sticks that make you feel the little bumps when you rotate the stick.

Spectre

Banned
As far as joysticks and buttons are concerned, it's just a matter of personal preference and you'll get different answers from different people. Many people will swear by convex buttons as they are easier to hit and do less friction damage to your fingers over time, but others are used to concave buttons. Also, here's a useful joystick review;

http://www.oscarcontrols.com/joycompare/joyreview1.shtml

The optical joystick isn't covered here but it does have good things to say about the competition stick compared to the other happs sticks.

Good luck with your supergun and deffinately get the 8 button stick as it will allow you to get into systems other than the Hyper and MVS later if you wish.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Avoid the 360 at all costs. Some people think they are great, and some people have head wounds that prevent them from thinking properly. I don't know of a single fighting game ever created that is easier to play with a 360.

I owned Mas controllers with the regular Happs sticks a few years back, and once I used some WD40 on the inside base of the stick, it rotated smooth as hell.

Last edited:

HANZO

That doesn't help neojedi, tell me why.

The stick that I want is the one that has a good smooth rotation like the ones used in the Soul Calibur cabinets at arcades. My question still resides, what's the major differece between the Competition sticks and the 360 optical ones, I figure that the competition stick might have little ridges that you can feel and won't be as smooth as a rotated circle should be.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
neojedi said:
Avoid the 360 at all costs. Some people think they are great, and some people have head wounds that prevent them from thiking properly. I don't know of a single fighting game ever created that is easier to play with a 360.

I owned Mas controllers with the regular Happs sticks a few years back, and once I used some WD40 on the inside base of the stick, it rotated smooth as hell.

sorry bro but I have to disagree completely with you there. I have the red 6 button neo stick shown in the picture with p360s and I wouldn't accept anything else after getting used to it. the main difference is that there are no "clicks" to let you know when you hit a switch (compared to an 8-way the OP is probably used to). for me it feels like the radius is smaller, meaning you don't have to move the stick as far to pull a move.

regardless, it pretty much boils down to personal preference. if you have never used p360s you're probably better off getting 8-ways. massystems will let you select the spring type iirc which does impact how forcefully the stick rebounds to neutral. the major benefit 8-ways have over p360s is that they are significantly easier to repair if anything goes wrong.

as for buttons, competition (convex) are an absolute must over ultimate (concave) if you play any games where you need to mash the buttons a lot. (save your fingers!!!)

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Sorry for the vague response earlier, I have nightmares about that stick. Maybe I'm thinking of the early 360s in the arcade, but I remember they were the ones with the bumpy ridges all the way around. That, and you could never find the diagonals when you need to survive. The 2D fighters in the Tilt that had those sticks were unplayable. 8-ways only detect moves with 4 switches, but rotate smoothly. One thing I'll grant Gaira, the 8-ways have a larger radius which is not a good thing versus smaller.

If you can't hear any switches clicking when you rotate the SC sticks, then they're probably 360s. I'd look up what sticks come with the cab, but there's no guarantee where arcades are involved that they didn't swap stuff in and out.

HANZO

Good points both of you, now I have another similar question.

I'd expect to use the Convex buttons for games like Killer Instinct where you can jab and do moves quickly, however if I recall correctly, Samurai Showdown 64 did not have this luxury (correct me if I'm wrong here) but it did have a good reaction time between combos.

That being said, what is the best choice that will fit well with the gameplay speed of the games. I would think Convex for fast gameplay and Concave for slow or regular which is where Sam Sho seems to lie in. Opinions please. :help:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Concave is fine for Samurai right up until you have a weapon clash event. I'm thinking Samurai IV mainly, but that's at least 1 major situation where you need to mash the buttons. I don't think you'll reach a max value of 99 on concave without killing your hand.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
No, not a combo. When the weapons clash together and get stuck, both players mash the buttons and a counter keeps track of the button hits. At least on SSIV, that counter goes up to 99.

HANZO

Just a little heads up. I just finished talking to the tech at Mas Systems and he tells me that he's not selling nor buying anymore Perfect 360s because the manufacture that is making them have placed new untested components which ruin the stick. He tells me that he had too many returns and people get angry at him when in fact it was the manufactur's part.

Now comes my new question. The competition sticks let you feel the "ticks" does this prevent you from doing any moves on the fighting games for Hyper? I ask because there's to sides to this view, on one hand Mas Systems have never gotten any complains or returns on the Competition sticks and on the other hand you feels ticks that I figure may prevent you from doing certain moves that require the diagnal movements.

Please comment on what I've said, I'm planning on going to test them out on Monday.

icon35.gif

P.S. I just got my Hyper package from Vektor Logic today!! Awesome deal and nothing came in defective. Big props to Jeff for his great customer service by phone!