Unibois... Worth It?

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
What EXACTLY does a Unibios do for an MVS owner... and is it worth it? Sure, I read the Unibios thread, but it really doesn't tell me the PRACTICAL purpose of the Unibios or why I just gotta have one.

Thanks...

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
A unibios is essential for home MVS use - being able to pause an MVS game without modifying your cab is worth the price alone. It also gives you easy control over the region and mode the game plays in (personally there are some games I only play in JP region for better voices or text and some I like to play in US). It gives you an in game cheat menu with a lot of options for each title, and if a game has hidden playable characters it let's you use them as well. On an AES, the unibios let's you unnlock fatalities on SSVS as well. The unibios also gives you the ability to meaningfully debug some hardware issues, verify the authenticity of prog rom data, and gives you a jukebox mode where you can listen to game soundtracks. There's more I'm leaving out, but these are the finer points for home use.

Mike26

McWow,
I just purchased one from RAZ, I have nothing but good experience from him. He was very friendly, making sure I got the package and just good checking up with me. I love the universe bios and think it is hands down the best purchase for the neo. I mean its definitly the best 30 USD benefit for your mileage.

Hope that helps.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I would like to add 2 words to all the other benefits:
Soft Reset!

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Soft reset, pause, access to home-only modes (training, vs., etc.). Those are the main features I use.

Cheats are also good for late-night drunken gaming sessions when you just want to button mash with a friend and finish the game.

Well worth the money. I wouldn't own a Neo without one.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Whats a unibois? :make_fac:.
Very handy chips to have, it adds an extra level to playing your mvs.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Soft reset, pause, access to home-only modes (training, vs., etc.). Those are the main features I use.

Cheats are also good for late-night drunken gaming sessions when you just want to button mash with a friend and finish the game.

Well worth the money. I wouldn't own a Neo without one.

Setting Freeplay in software instead of via a hard dip is also useful in MVS mode.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I would like to add 2 words to all the other benefits:
Soft Reset!

Hell yes. Can't believe I forgot that one. Probably the most useful feature of them all.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I am thinking of getting a UniBIOS put into my AES. In the UK there is a company that does the mod including the 60Hz and RGB mods all for £80 (About $130), this also iclude the Power Button LED mod.

My question is about the Power Button, has anyone got this done and does it make the system look tacky...?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I am thinking of getting a UniBIOS put into my AES. In the UK there is a company that does the mod including the 60Hz and RGB mods all for £80 (About $130), this also iclude the Power Button LED mod.

My question is about the Power Button, has anyone got this done and does it make the system look tacky...?

I think it depends on the way it was done. Some modders put the LED too close to the inside surface of the button so you will sometimes see some that have a concentrated spot that's illuminated. When done right I think it looks great.

Just make sure the video mods you plan to get are needed. If you have a 3-5 or 3-6 you don't need an RGB bypass as it's bright enough as it is. But 3-6 will need the RGB fix done.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Thanks for the reply, I will question the company a little more before sending.
They are listed on the UniBIOS site so they must be good.

The Neo-Geo seems to have a very high barrier to entry when compared to other systems. For example, if I want to play my Turbo Grafx, NES, etc; bios are not of concern. It seems like a lot of research needs to be done before even buying a system.

With that said... this is my first post and I have been thinking of buying a Neo-Geo AES for years. Growing up, playing the new Neo Geo games in the arcade was always awesome, Samurai Showdown took a TON of my quarters. As did Eight Man.

Anyway, this may be a little outta place, but I couldn't create a topic because I am new. If anyone has any advice on bios or Neo Geo in general, send me a PM. I am hoping to trade my spare Turbo Duo and some games for a system. Thanks!

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
This thread already answers your question, but you can order it here:

http://unibios.free.fr/index.html

If you're looking for an AES, you'll have to (or at least should!) remove the stock bios and install a socket first.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The Neo-Geo seems to have a very high barrier to entry when compared to other systems. For example, if I want to play my Turbo Grafx, NES, etc; bios are not of concern. It seems like a lot of research needs to be done before even buying a system.

With that said... this is my first post and I have been thinking of buying a Neo-Geo AES for years. Growing up, playing the new Neo Geo games in the arcade was always awesome, Samurai Showdown took a TON of my quarters. As did Eight Man.

Anyway, this may be a little outta place, but I couldn't create a topic because I am new. If anyone has any advice on bios or Neo Geo in general, send me a PM. I am hoping to trade my spare Turbo Duo and some games for a system. Thanks!
That's not true at all mate.. The BIOS is very easily replaced, buy a system and worry about that later.

Fett

Camel Slug
What's the button combo for pause, or do you just open one of the 3 in-game menus?
*Just ordered one myself.

mrbippers

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Welcome from a fellow Buffalonian, there's a few of us around here. I'm not sure if you plan on getting an AES or MVS system, but there's a Big Red (4 slot, 25" monitor) MVS for sale about 2 hours from Buffalo by another member.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218282

MasonSushi

n00b
Does the unibios have any issues multicarts?????? I was considering getting the 150 in 1

Thanks

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The multicart issues are with the multi slot boards themselves. If you have a unibios with a multicart on a multislot board, if you get an error just hit I think B and then it bypasses the error and starts the game.

MasonSushi

n00b
The multicart issues are with the multi slot boards themselves. If you have a unibios with a multicart on a multislot board, if you get an error just hit I think B and then it bypasses the error and starts the game.

so on my 2-slot, I just have to hit B if I get an error message??

Thanks