Unibios Trouble

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Not sure where else to go with this other than sending you a new NBM. Either the NBM is damaged, or your board is damaged from removing the bios, or the
68k chip is too dirty to make a good connection. I would like to get the other NBM back to see if something came loose or broke off. Shoot me a PM with your shipping info.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Maybe a good clean of the 68k pins would be worth a try first if its not already been done.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Another NBM shipped about an hour ago. Probably get it on Thursday.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
While the wait to try the new biosmasta I was interested to know what it was you did that started to get the crosshatch screen to show. Did it only start displaying after cleaning things for example?

RAz

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Was this MV1C working prior to this installation?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Was this MV1C working prior to this installation?

Yes he already confirmed it was. The question had to be asked because of the way the PCB looked.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
In my experience with these NBMs, the CPU has to be gunk free for the connection from bios to CPU to be 100%. Judging from the pictures the mobo is horribly dirty. Alcohol won't do anything to clean it, you'd be better off trying a fiberglass pen or even a pink eraser on the contacts of the CPU.

Alright guys, TurfMasta sent in a replacement NBM. After installing everything it seems to be working flawlessly! Thanks everyone for the tech support.:glee:

IMG_2482.JPGIMG_2483.JPGIMG_2484.JPG

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Cool, glad to see you're back in business! (X > 2)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Alright guys, TurfMasta sent in a replacement NBM. After installing everything it seems to be working flawlessly! Thanks everyone for the tech support.:glee:

Glad everything worked out. If you get a chance, can you send back the other NBM? I'd like to see what happened to it. I'll send you the $2 for shipping.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Based on the pictures something is still not right (not the NBM) because the system was detected as an AES and not MVS. Was there an error you skipped to force AES mode?

Last edited:
There were no errors that showed up although I still get the pixelated screen from time to time so I don't think the issue has been fully resolved. When I turned it back on with the same game it showed MV-1X instead of AES. Sorry I haven't replied in the past couple of days. TurfMasta, I'll send out the original NBM tomorrow.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Clear your backup RAM.

Turn it on with no game inserted and keep pressing start until you get to the "Clear Backup RAM" screen and it should say to press and hold A+B+C, hold them for like 2 seconds then let go and then set the date and time, press start again to go back to crosshatch screen. Power off, put in a game and play it at least once.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
There were no errors that showed up although I still get the pixelated screen from time to time so I don't think the issue has been fully resolved. When I turned it back on with the same game it showed MV-1X instead of AES. Sorry I haven't replied in the past couple of days. TurfMasta, I'll send out the original NBM tomorrow.

Well, there's something else going on then. Maybe a pin on an IC somewhere has a pin is slightly lifted, maybe there is a cut trace, maybe a cold solder joint on the cart slot. IDK. You may have to send your board to a tech to look at.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The MV1-X is just saying it detects it as a 1 slot mobo.

I cleared the RAM and I was able to boot up all of my games on the first try but for some odd reason a channel in the audio is missing for Metal Slug 3. There might be a couple of other games with the same problem but thats the one I noticed off of the bat.

EDIT: After playing and swapping out the games a few times the pixelated screen comes back. I'll look at the board again for any problem areas but I'm not too optimistic.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Clear your backup RAM.

Turn it on with no game inserted and keep pressing start until you get to the "Clear Backup RAM" screen and it should say to press and hold A+B+C, hold them for like 2 seconds then let go and then set the date and time, press start again to go back to crosshatch screen. Power off, put in a game and play it at least once.

I have been doing the universe bios for so many years and you have just explained something in a way that I have never even considered. It's so much easier for the user than accessing all the hardDIPS or trying to talk through the testmode button entry method when the user may not be English speaking.

I will be using your method from now on.

Raz

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Reporting as MV1-X is what it should see so that's a good thing. If that is randomly showing AES though and you did not get an error to force that then I think you need to clean the entire PCB as that's not going to be a bios related issue.